GTX 460 bottleneck

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello all . I have a question that i have been questioning about . The thing is that i don't get the needed performance in games as it should be . I ussualy go to youtube or sites like that or in benchmarks and i see that my card should work a lot better than it actually works for me . I tried playing BF 3 low,medium,high,ultra . Doesnt make difference the performance is the same , but the game is freezing , now i downclocked my card as it was already downclocked and now i think the reason . I have a Pentium G840 2.8 GHz Sandy Bridge dual core cpu and a GTX 460 v2 . Is the card too good that it makes my CPU bottleneck and it makes the card bottleneck or is it other way around . Anyways will i get better performance if i get a lower end card like a GTS450 from someone ? Will i get better performance as there shouldnt be any bottlenecks ? Some games perform good , some dont .

No you won't get better performance. And Pentium G840 ain't bottlenecking your card I can guarantee it. Clean your PC, as I'm sure it's software issue. It might also be your power supply. Tell us your specs!

It shouldn't bottleneck it much but dual core cpus are reaching the end like single cores did a few years ago. To really get the most out of any modern card a quad core is the best way to go. However likely there is something else that has gone wrong with your system as the cpu isn't weak enough to be a big problem for this card.

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Well , im sure its not software issue , because i clean my pc with Advanced System Care and CCleaner . My power supply is Corsair CX430 v2 . Are you sure its the PSU ? Because my CPU doesnt eat much , then i have a 4GB DDR3 ram 1333MHz single stick a DVD Rom and a 1TB HDD , a usb mouse and a keyboard and i am using a 1680x1050 monitor , the performance is almost the same except for games like BF3 or Metro2033 , Metro 2033 actually does change in performance if i change resolution and settings . But do you really think its the PSU fault ? Also there have been some interesting stuff with my pc . Sometimes when i watch some videos or make a video in movie maker , my PC screen like freezes and you could see purple dots and flickers on the whole screen .

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
So you would recommend me trying to switch a psu ?

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6789

I could sell my corsair cpu and buy this one or buy for now this one and see if there is any difference tough i know some things about PC too as i assembled it myself and looked for the parts myself and thats why i am in this kind of a situation that i need help . I don't understand what is the cause of the bottlenecks as my card came already underclocked when i put it in my PC ( below the default stocks ) . Maybe i could also give the GPU to someone who i know has a quad core cpu and a good build to test the card out if it would change in performance .

No, your PSU is fine. Now I'm almost 100% certain it's software issue. You might have something running in the background that's clogging up the CPU and that's why it seems like CPU bottleneck.

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Do you have skype or something like team viewer ? We could check out what could be the cause of all this crap . I also had a GT440 before and it went simmilar in performance like the GTX 460 v2 goes for me now which isnt right , theres got to be something the cause .

Let's keep this to forums so others could see the solution as well. Could you take screen shot of your task manager processes tab, when "Show processes from all users" is check, it's sorted by user name, and you've got lagging case of game running?

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Lagging and freezing mostly on games like BF3 . MW3 is also like freezing , depends on the game i cant tell much because i usually play some games for a period of time but they all quickly bug me out because of the performance and i stop playing . GTA IV is the biggest example it runs fair but not so good and i have shadows turned off and the fps is jumping around to 28-45 i think which is not that good . K the pics

http://tinypic.com/r/23j5tma/6

http://tinypic.com/r/11v304j/6

http://tinypic.com/r/i6mb85/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2ivi9m0/6

Something is clogging your CPU for sure. It might be shortage of RAM too, but I doubt it. Processes tab during opened game and sorted by user name?

BTW, if that's GTA4, then it's normal. That game is a CPU clog. It should not happen with other games though.

WOW you do have many processes running at the same time. Let's see, you should close these:

AMBSPISyncService.exe
chrome.exe - leaveo only 1 tab open
distnoted.exe
DTAgent.exe
DTShellHlp.exe
FLVSrvc.exe
Fraps.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
jusched.exe
KiesPDLR.exe
MP3 Skype Recorder.exe
MyBrowserCash.exe
nvtray.exe
PMonitor.exe
SearchSettings.exe
SmartDefrag.exe
SmartViewAgent.exe
Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_MB_Cleanup.0...
SyncServer.exe
unsecapp.exe
VolPanlu.exe
winampa.exe
wuauclt.exe
XFastUSB.exe

No wonder it lags :<.

SolidSnake32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
K so i used game booster and also closed these programs down . Now i can play without freezes , thank you sunius ! But the performance is still not the best , i guess i should need to get a quad core cpu , going to give one of a known guy to try the card out and see if there would be difference , because there should . But more or less i can now without the freezing so at least 1 less problem to worry about . Going to uninstall some of the crap .

Glad I helped you a little bit. G840 isn't the best CPU, but it's certainly one of the better ones if you're on a strict budget. GTA 4 and battlefield 3 are probably the games it's lagging on most, and I doubt there's a problem other games.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Good advice and help there by Sunius! It's always good to routinely check and then carefully prune away any unnecessary running tasks.....it's uncanny the amount of 'crap' that tries to run in the background.

Modern games - particularly BF3 - are very cpu dependant (especially multiplayer), and, being the latest games, they do benefit greatly from from multiple cores (certainly up to 4). So, it would be good to try the card and game out in another pc with a 'better' cpu and see what framerates you get.

cpuslawter

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hey So ive got the 460 v2 as well, and ya im lagging horribly constant 25 fps in all low settings in bf3, im lucky to get 30 fps far away from battle.

my specs:

Asus f1a55 pro
AMX LLano a8-3870k OC to 3.3
gskill 2x4g 1600
1tb hd 5400 rpm
I am using an old CD drive from an old computer so iuno what it is its just a cheap cd drive
460gtx v2
GS700 corsair PSU
wins 7 64 bit
Native Res: 1400 x 900 60hz

this is a brand new system so theres not many programs/processes. I am wondering is it normal that i am getting this bad fps in BF3, or did i do something wrong while building this, or is something faulty. Also I believe all my drivers are up to date, and my CPU / Mobo / GPU does not report any over heating, I always see it stay at 29C / 36C/ 36-38C around those general temps, even when playing league for couple of hrs it stays the same which i havnt thought much about , like is that normal? idk and im confused with this,

TRENDING THREADS