Sign in with
Your question

Internet Connection Icon 101

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2012 10:40:45 AM

Hi,

I have a weird problem happening to my system. It involves the icon that tells me if my internet connection is working/signal strength. My internet works on the system in question. But, the icon isn't showing that it works. I've included a screen shot for your viewing pleasure.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

I've tried rebooting the PC several times as well as turning the button on the front of the laptop (that controlls the wireless card) on and off. But, that still does nothing to fix the problem. This PC isn't connected to a Ethernet Cable. The normal icon looks similar to the icon on a cell phone showing bars of signal. I'm trying to get the original icon back. Thank you for reading and any help you can give.

These are the system specs (The system includes a built in Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter (Driver Version: 8.0.0.225); Device Manager says it's working correctly):

Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

CPU
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 55 °C
Tyler 65nm Technology

RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
TOSHIBA IALAA (Socket M2/S1G1)

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
ATI Radeon X1200 Series (Toshiba)

Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (SATA) 44 °C
1.98GB SD Memory Card (SD)

Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 11:22:31 AM

Thanks for including the picture for my pleasure.

You have 2 network interface cards (NIC's) in your computer. 1 wireless and 1 wired. you are looking at the icon for your wired NIC. I am guessing that you are connected wirelessly and there is no network cable pluged in.

Have a great day
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 12:26:32 PM

If you right click on the taskbar and select properties, select the notification area, customize go to network and select "show icons and notifications" that should do the trick.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2012 9:43:44 PM

No. It did not work. The icon that should be showing is the Wireless signal strength. I have not plugged in an ethernet cable into this laptop for over three years. It just started showing the ethernet disconnect icon a few days ago. I would like it to go away and my Wifi signal strength icon to come back.

What can I do to get the wifi signal strength icon to come back?
m
l
February 12, 2012 1:45:45 AM

@mowogo1820-

I am having the same exact problem. I tried changing it but nothing seems to be working. I noticed a few things are not loading the way they used to, otherwise the internet seems to be working as usual. I would like my previous icon back as well. Please update if you find an answer to our problem.

Thanks.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 2:08:56 AM

in the wireless panel uncheck the box for icon on taskbar and recheck it should be showing correctly
m
l
February 13, 2012 9:29:24 AM

scout_03 said:
in the wireless panel uncheck the box for icon on taskbar and recheck it should be showing correctly

Where is the wireless panel? Anyone have instructions on this possible windows 7 taskbar icon fix?
m
l
!