Dell motherboard identification

Solution

All motherboards have some means of being identified: The serial number is not useful but it may have other codes stamped on the back, the processor if it still has it attacked, may help determine if it's worth restoring it to use. If the processor is not on it, you could check the socket HERE. Determining the socket we'd have a better idea of it's usefullness.

Or if you could take a shot of it and upload it HERE we may be able to...

jgm432

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Well the problem is that I don't have or know the computer model it belongs to. It was in a box in my garage. And I'm not sure how to figure out what it belongs to since it's proprietary. It was something that my Dad has had for a while so no one in my family has a clue.

All motherboards have some means of being identified: The serial number is not useful but it may have other codes stamped on the back, the processor if it still has it attacked, may help determine if it's worth restoring it to use. If the processor is not on it, you could check the socket HERE. Determining the socket we'd have a better idea of it's usefullness.

Or if you could take a shot of it and upload it HERE we may be able to Identify it... at least we'll know it it's 'junk' as Brett says or if it's still usefull.

Old proprietary motherboards dating from pre2000 are mostly useless but from 2000 on there's a good chance they are ATX or MATX but all depends on the processor they need to be considered worth anything, and for what type of use (running programs, watching videos... gaming is probably out of the question) unless it for old games). I have a 2002 Dell Dimension 4500 motherboard running on a 2000 Compaq 5000, mATX case... the only problems I had was the back plate and the processor cooler connection.. I had to addapt a 478 cooler that had a different wire connector. Other DELL motherboards are who knows what form factor because they seem to only fit other Dell cases.

Solution