Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Final Build thoughts? 1500-2000

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2012 4:02:08 PM

So I've decided on my build finally but i still believe it is somewhat overpriced. Heres what i got so far.

Approximate Purchase Date: 9/15/2012

Budget Range: 1500-2000 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: @Home, high end gaming, surfing the internet,

Are you buying a monitor: later

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Location: USA NJ

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes eventually

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 will eventually buy a second monitor

COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker Black and White Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
$159.99

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
$329.99

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$207.99

ASUS GTX680 DIRECTCU II GeForce GTX 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
$539.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3
$164.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$97.99

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
$109.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD
$226.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
$69.99

Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition fans
$23.99

$1,931.90
tax $137.69 shipping $35.09
total:$2,104.68

Additional Comments: I have my heart set on the case, and the watercooling,hoping that the h100 fits on this case and i can stick the top fan in another location. I will eventually sli the 680 Will be adding the fans to the h100 to push out the top of the case and im overclocking the cpu to at least 4.0. What do you think i am trying to lower the price but i dont know what to swap out. Will want to throw in updates from time to time in the future. Also trying to make everything match when it comes to looks :D  Any suggestions/tips to further improve this build with it comes to price/performance?
September 9, 2012 5:09:04 PM

Looks like an awesome setup. Most of these items should be cheaper than this w/rebates and etc.

My concern (even before reading your paragraph) was that the H100 cooler fits in this case. I haven't used the case before, but from the photos it appears to have a single large fan top. Are you 100% sure you can mount the H100 up there? It doesn't look like it would to me.
September 9, 2012 5:30:12 PM

Styker gets a 9.2 rating for $160
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

500R gets higher 9.25 rating for a lot less money - $95 .... saves $65
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

17-3770k's hyperthreading appears to offer you no benefit as you have no HT apps on ya list. The 3570k will save ya $100

Save another $30 on the combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

$20 rebate on the HX850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These RAM modules are low profile and $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To my mind the 1/4 degree and extra noise are not worth the risk of introducing water into your system and saves $19
$10 off w/ promo code Phantek0912, ends 9/30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_h100_hydro...

Quote:
In terms of performance per noise, high end air coolers from Phanteks, Noctua and Thermalright still reign supreme, contrary to Corsair’s own marketing. Like other ALC units, the H100 relies too much on high RPM fans for its performance when the goal of water cooling is generally for extreme performance at low noise levels.


Samsung 830 is a 1st tier SSD .... but so is the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe for $46 cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-...

Avoid the 7200.11 series HD, firmware issue and chinsy warranty

WD 1TB Black 5 year warranty $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $100+$65+$30 + $20 + $8 + $46 = $269 saved - $40 on a HD (not gonna count that as the 7200.11 gotta be considered invalid)

Now for the GFX.....ya picked a 3 slot GFX card which will limit SLI options in future. I'd suggest two Asus 670 DCII's instead

The $840 costs of the twin $670's minus the $530 on your 680 - the $269 in savings above increase ya costs by only $41, $81 if ya count the bad HD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But $81 to increase ya fps from 1077 in Guru3D's game test suite with the 680 DCII to 1679 fps with the twin Asus 670's is a 56% increase in performance for only a 4% increase in cost.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2012 5:31:08 PM
Share

A few adjustments. Btw I'm not sure if the H100 fits or not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($193.58 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($414.44 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition ($23.99)
Total: $1719.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 13:30 EDT-0400)

670 performs almost equal to a 680, and equal once overclocked, and also costs 100$ less.

A 750W PSU will handle two 670s + overclocks fine.

September 9, 2012 5:57:26 PM

i7 doesnt do more than a i5 in games
unless you are doing some hardcore video editing or Photoshop, i would stick with an i5.

if you feel like changing your case anytime soon(i would if you are doing water cooling), i would change it into

NZXT switch 810
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

then instead of a all-in-one cooler like a H100 i would go with a custom water cooling system like this one
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16892/ex-wat-220/XSPC...
^this one is a bit smaller than this oneV but is cheaper than V
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16894/ex-wat-222/XSPC...

yes either one will fit inside i would personally go with the cheaper one to make a little bit more room into the budget. Also you need to buy the fluid for, I would personally UV blue since it would look pretty nice in the case

MOBO+Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
a bit cheaper motherboard than what you posted and this one comes with thunderbolt if you are into that

i5 3570k
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro...
(can change to newegg just prefer amazon since it has 2 days shipping and doesnt tax as much as newegg)

PSU XFX XXX edition 750W
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Edition-Semi-Modular-...
this is really all you need i would also change the graphics card to a 670 and add another in a month to a year

I would choose a Samsung 830 but if the price is killing you this is also a very viable option
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Solid-SD...

September 9, 2012 7:32:22 PM

I just assumed an i7 is better than the I5. There must be some difference between them. The h100 does fit on top just need to remove the fan and have the fans pushIng out the case and the back fan pullIng In aIr. I don't want a huge heat sink in the middle of the set up looks a lot cleaner with an h80 or h100

I will be playing bf3 and I believe 2 670s won't cut it with two bigger monItors. The mobo I picked can hold two 680s because they are 3 spaces away from each other(that's what I read from anyway) I went with the Samsung ssd because I heard its the most reliable and doesn't slow down as much when it's half full. Nice find on the 2tb Hard drIve.

My original choice was this
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G  $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm in love with the case. Friend of mine has the storm trooper and I was hoping it would come out in white
September 9, 2012 7:38:56 PM

The i7 only performs better than the i5 in applications that take advantage of the i7's Hyper-Threading ability, something games does not. The 3570K is as high as it goes for gaming CPUs.

If two 670s won't cut it, two 680s won't either. The difference between the two is so small that there is absolutely no reason to go for the 680. Also, gaming on two monitors? Wouldn't that be kind of weird? :p  You either game on one or three monitors. Having a second monitor running, say, an internet browser or Steam will not require much from the GPU. You will get equal FPS when playing with (1 monitor for gaming + 1 monitor for an internet browser) than you would playing with only 1 monitor.

Good choice in the Samsung SSD.
September 9, 2012 8:03:43 PM

porchmonkey168 said:
So I've decided on my build finally but i still believe it is somewhat overpriced. Heres what i got so far.

Approximate Purchase Date: 9/15/2012

Budget Range: 1500-2000 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: @Home, high end gaming, surfing the internet,

Are you buying a monitor: later

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Location: USA NJ

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes eventually

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 will eventually buy a second monitor

COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker Black and White Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
$159.99

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
$329.99

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$207.99

ASUS GTX680 DIRECTCU II GeForce GTX 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
$539.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3
$164.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$97.99

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
$109.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD
$226.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
$69.99

Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition fans
$23.99

$1,931.90
tax $137.69 shipping $35.09
total:$2,104.68

Additional Comments: I have my heart set on the case, and the watercooling,hoping that the h100 fits on this case and i can stick the top fan in another location. I will eventually sli the 680 Will be adding the fans to the h100 to push out the top of the case and im overclocking the cpu to at least 4.0. What do you think i am trying to lower the price but i dont know what to swap out. Will want to throw in updates from time to time in the future. Also trying to make everything match when it comes to looks :D  Any suggestions/tips to further improve this build with it comes to price/performance?


Couple of things wrong...

*Unless you do HEAVY video editing or gaming+recording you will not get a single FPS more with an i7 than you would get with an i5

*Why a 200$ motherboard? either buy a 500$ motherboard or a sub-150$ motherboard.

*The GTX680 is a waster of money, for 100$ less you can get a card with 95% of its performance (GTX670) or a card that will beat it (7970Ghz edition)

*850w of power are not needed, 750w will be more than enough for dual 7970s GHz edition with overclock.

*16GB of RAM will not be used unless you do crazy heavy video editing or professional tasks.

*that cooler sucks, its ******* loud and its has poor performance, either get a real water-cooling kit or don't get anything

*The vertex 4 is faster than the Samsung 830

*For 2000$ you can build this:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($183.04 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1896.50

* That's the ONLY closed loop water-cooler you should consider because unlike the H100 it runs really quiet even when the fans are at full speed and it performs a LOT better.
September 9, 2012 8:39:30 PM

idroid said:
Couple of things wrong...

*Unless you do HEAVY video editing or gaming+recording you will not get a single FPS more with an i7 than you would get with an i5

*Why a 200$ motherboard? either buy a 500$ motherboard or a sub-150$ motherboard.

*The GTX680 is a waster of money, for 100$ less you can get a card with 95% of its performance (GTX670) or a card that will beat it (7970Ghz edition)

*850w of power are not needed, 750w will be more than enough for dual 7970s GHz edition with overclock.

*16GB of RAM will not be used unless you do crazy heavy video editing or professional tasks.

*that cooler sucks, its ******* loud and its has poor performance, either get a real water-cooling kit or don't get anything

*The vertex 4 is faster than the Samsung 830

*For 2000$ you can build this:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($183.04 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1896.50

* That's the ONLY closed loop water-cooler you should consider because unlike the H100 it runs really quiet even when the fans are at full speed and it performs a LOT better.



i agree almost completely,

the Thermaltake extreme is a very good choice but it seems like he wants to get the Storm Stryker. The Thermaltake in 500R is cool but you don't really get to show off your system(thinking that is what he wants to do since he has a clear side panel with water cooling) and if he did that then the thermaltake will be to big to fit inside SS.

on stock fans, yes the Thermaltake will win in silence but you can always change out those stock fans and switch them for something better. I personally still don't trust OCZ products, they are either really bad or you get lucky(for me anyways). He would have a more solid choice sticking with Samsung and their custom software. Also nice thinking on the 7970s they are better than 670 SLI since i still get some micro stutter from them and better in multimonitor configs too.
September 10, 2012 5:57:54 AM

idroid said:
Couple of things wrong...

*Unless you do HEAVY video editing or gaming+recording you will not get a single FPS more with an i7 than you would get with an i5

*Why a 200$ motherboard? either buy a 500$ motherboard or a sub-150$ motherboard.

*The GTX680 is a waster of money, for 100$ less you can get a card with 95% of its performance (GTX670) or a card that will beat it (7970Ghz edition)

*850w of power are not needed, 750w will be more than enough for dual 7970s GHz edition with overclock.

*16GB of RAM will not be used unless you do crazy heavy video editing or professional tasks.

*that cooler sucks, its ******* loud and its has poor performance, either get a real water-cooling kit or don't get anything

*The vertex 4 is faster than the Samsung 830

*For 2000$ you can build this:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($183.04 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1896.50

* That's the ONLY closed loop water-cooler you should consider because unlike the H100 it runs really quiet even when the fans are at full speed and it performs a LOT better.


I just assumed i7 can handle more applications than the i5, most likely will run some recorded games . Asus motherboard is because its one of the few mobos that can sli two 680s since it takes up 3 slots . The ASUS GTX680 DIRECTCU II GeForce GTX seems almost 20 percent better performance wise then a 670. 850 psu is for the future sli. Cooler is loud from what i saw that's why I'm switching the stock fans to Corsair Series SP120 fans. For the vertex 4 there must be something wrong its to cheap lol samsung seems to be more stable . I've had a really bad experience with crossfire already and I'm trying to avoid it this round. I also read that ram is number one for bottle-necking your system next to your hdd. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not wasting to much money on bs
September 10, 2012 6:13:06 AM

nafoni said:
A few adjustments. Btw I'm not sure if the H100 fits or not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($193.58 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($414.44 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition ($23.99)
Total: $1719.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 13:30 EDT-0400)

670 performs almost equal to a 680, and equal once overclocked, and also costs 100$ less.

A 750W PSU will handle two 670s + overclocks fine.


Looks like you hit the sweet spot even though i really wanted to sli asus 680s but two MSI GeForce GTX 670s would look pretty bad ass in the case. I just felt safe with an 850w psu plus same price with the $20 rebate :p  as for the ram i assumed two sticks is better than 4? Or is it the same crap really.

If i go with an i5 thats 100 bucks cheaper if there's no real difference between them. There must be some games out there (wow/gw2) that must use hyper-threading
September 10, 2012 11:48:05 AM

0 games take advantage of hyper threading, so if this computer is going to be used for gaming, get an i5. i7 will be nothing but a waste of money in your case.

If you can get the 850W PSU for almost the same price, then go for it. A 750W PSU will handle two 670s + overclocks without any problems.

Again - getting a 680 these days is nothing but a waste of money as well. The 670 performs almost equal, and equal once overclocked, to the 680 for a much lower price.

As for the RAM, both 2 and 4 sticks works when you're going 16GB. However, if this computer is going to be used mostly for gaming, 16GB is a waste of money as well. Get 8GB (2 sticks x 4GB).
September 10, 2012 12:36:32 PM

porchmonkey168 said:
I just assumed i7 can handle more applications than the i5, most likely will run some recorded games . Asus motherboard is because its one of the few mobos that can sli two 680s since it takes up 3 slots . The ASUS GTX680 DIRECTCU II GeForce GTX seems almost 20 percent better performance wise then a 670. 850 psu is for the future sli. Cooler is loud from what i saw that's why I'm switching the stock fans to Corsair Series SP120 fans. For the vertex 4 there must be something wrong its to cheap lol samsung seems to be more stable . I've had a really bad experience with crossfire already and I'm trying to avoid it this round. I also read that ram is number one for bottle-necking your system next to your hdd. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not wasting to much money on bs


*If you're gonna do video recording, get my build.

*The Gigabyte R7970Ghz edition is an excellent card and beats the GTX680 and has a LOT of overclocking room.

*850w are not needed for SLI+ Overclocking, 750w is more than enough, today's cards don't consume much power.

*The coolers on the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme are very far from being loud (my neighbor has one) and even at full speed it remains fairly quiet (and CPU stays freaking cool)

*That's the average price of the vertex 4.... it has longer warranty than the samsung 830 so don't worry about quality, they're both awesome!

*I don't know how you could have messed something up but i've had dual and quad Crossfire/SLI and i've NEVER had a problem with any configuration cards.... Crossfire and SLI have been greatly improved, go for it.

*8GB of RAM is fine.

EDIT: FYI, the GTX670 have 95% the performance of a GTX680 clock vs clock anyways.... going with my build is the best choice you can make.
September 10, 2012 2:11:14 PM

also just another thing popped up

since plextor is making a big entrance to the stage with new SSDs, they are very fast and very stable(mines anyways, bought me one for a test run :D )

Plextor M5P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you can also wait for the 256GB version which will come out soon

NOTE: it is faster than Samsung 830 in many cases but it is not big enough to make a real notice unless you are doing random writes which is where the 830 is not as good at.
September 10, 2012 2:14:04 PM

porchmonkey168 said:
I just assumed i7 can handle more applications than the i5, most likely will run some recorded games . Asus motherboard is because its one of the few mobos that can sli two 680s since it takes up 3 slots . The ASUS GTX680 DIRECTCU II GeForce GTX seems almost 20 percent better performance wise then a 670. 850 psu is for the future sli. Cooler is loud from what i saw that's why I'm switching the stock fans to Corsair Series SP120 fans. For the vertex 4 there must be something wrong its to cheap lol samsung seems to be more stable . I've had a really bad experience with crossfire already and I'm trying to avoid it this round. I also read that ram is number one for bottle-necking your system next to your hdd. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not wasting to much money on bs



Despite the long and detailed arguments above, most of your original rationales are completely reasonable.
-Your single card - vs SLI/crossfire thoughts are valid - two cards do not always perform like you would hope.
-Asus does have a reputation for being one of the better Mobo suppliers.
-The gold certified PSU is certainly better than the silver/bronze one. Efficiency will matter for temperatures. (I personally wouldn't skimp on quality here)
-Samsung does have a reputation for being a more reliable SSD maker. Vertex 4 is supposed to be much better than some of OCZs older models, but is a much newer product. (Lots of rebates + sales in the SSD market though - watch for them).

With regard to Ram - its true that you don't need 16. I have 16 because I wanted 4 matching sticks and they were on sale ... with memory prices so low this almost doesn't matter.

The cost/value arguments being made by others on CPU and GPU above are valid, but only if you decide the price different between the parts really matters to you. Personally, I sometimes decide to pay more than I need to in order to get the exact part that I want instead of compromising.
September 11, 2012 3:42:29 PM

Best answer selected by porchmonkey168.
!