My monitor goes wonky every other time i turn pc on

emperor piehead

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
i just built a new computer for the first time it all mostly works just some funky bugs. The most annoying one though is every other time i turn on my computer the resoultion is at 1024x768 as its highest. Its supposed to be at 1920x1080. i have a gtx 670 its plugged into the monitor via hdmi. also after lower power use like surfing the web for an hour or so if i turn on a game i get like 1fps in the main menu and 90% cpu usage. if anyone can help it is much appreciated.

check that the mb bios is up to date. the newer z77 mb have had a lot of patches for cpu code..ram and vga code updates.
on your new build make sure your intel chipset drivers are up to date. on some mb check your bios to see if there a setting that lets both the onboard and gpu chipset to be on at the same time.on some mb and gpu if there both on windows may be screwing up on witch chipset to use at boot. for the low frame rate that the nvidia power setings in nvidia control panel.
if you have one monitor set it as the main output in control panel and set the power usage bar to performance. it keep the card from clocking down.

emperor piehead

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
i'm sorry i was looking at the wrong setting for changing the monitor to performance i can't find it. if i'm the nvidia control panel what is it under. also the weird part about my monitor is that it is a 23in monitor but its native resoultion is 1024x768. it also is called non-generic pnp monitor when i first booted up and on the computer it was on before it said its name(samsung syncmaster). i moved the system to where it is now and it says that weird non-generic.