Graphics card failure?

Windows xp sp3. Works great, but after a few hours get either a patterned striped screen or color stripes and have to reboot. Could this be graphics card failure? thanks in advance
19 answers Last reply
More about graphics card failure
  1. Could be a GPU temp related problem, make sure the cooler on your card is clean.
  2. Does it depend on what you're doing at the time? (like, does it occur sooner if you're gaming?)
  3. Can't say, not a gamer. Will check fan to make sure it's working.
  4. You can use a program such as HWMonitor to check the GPU temperatures. What GPU do you have?
  5. use Speedfan--cpu 45c, Ambient 47c, Remote 57c , HD0 45c, Temp 1 40c., core 42c
  6. Have ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 series
  7. That is an old integrated ATI video card. The only thing other than video card failure would be

A) If you use a digital cable to connect monitor and computer, like DVI, then the digital interface on the monitor may have problems, I have seen this resulting in screen artifacts that look superficially similar to video card failure. To eliminate this possibility, try another monitor (if laptop, try an external monitor).

B) Since your video card seems to indicate that you have a laptop, and one of the most frequent causes of thermal problems in laptops is the cooling system, clogged with dust, critters, pet hair, etc, you might want to use a can of compressed air to thoroughly clean the system out, by blowing into the vents of the computer.

If neither of those helps, then it is likely that some combination of thermal problems (perhaps due to accumulation of dust, bad design, etc) has weakened the video card, by progressive wear. This isn't fixable.
  8. Yep onboard, if failing the motherboard is on its way out.
  9. Have a brand new monitor and cable and tested the monitor and cable on another computer so don't think that is it.
    Can I add a new video card and plug monitor into that and give it a go? Would that hurt anything else?
  10. Depends on your motherboard make/model and what slots it has.
  11. Does the texture change on the screen, or is it physically at the same location all the time (but may flicker) ?
  12. The pattern changes, it is either neat vertical strips, or once it had ragged bright orange stripes. Does not flicker.
  13. So we're all clear on this, this isn't a laptop ?
  14. So we're all clear on this, this isn't a laptop ? Correct--it is an HP Pavillion desktop.
  15. Okay, that clears up some things. In laptops, some cables are known to degrade after some usage, and yields screen flickers and artifacts.

If it is a desktop, you can easily try another video card. What is the exact model of your HP ?
  16. F1905
  17. barbleh said:
    F1905

That looks to be your monitor.
  18. rolli59 said:
    That looks to be your monitor.

Whoops, that was my monitor, my computer is a Presario SP1850Nx (I thought it was a Paviilion).
    FYI I added a graphics card and it worked okay, but I still had some issues so decided to do a restore--bad decision. After a full restore (had made the restore disks when I purchased the machine ) and they worked fine, but when I rebooted, got a "Code Purple" message. After googling I found out that this is a common problem with HP if you make any changes to the mother board/add hardware etc/ --something to do with tatooing the motherboard??) It is my understanding that HP was sued for this and lost the lawsuit, but when I contacted them I was told that my computer is obsolete and my only recourse was to purchase a new computer. Any suggestions? ANY help most appreciated. Thanks.
  19. barbleh said:
    Whoops, that was my monitor, my computer is a Presario SP1850Nx (I thought it was a Paviilion).
    FYI I added a graphics card and it worked okay, but I still had some issues so decided to do a restore--bad decision. After a full restore (had made the restore disks when I purchased the machine ) and they worked fine, but when I rebooted, got a "Code Purple" message. After googling I found out that this is a common problem with HP if you make any changes to the mother board/add hardware etc/ --something to do with tatooing the motherboard??) It is my understanding that HP was sued for this and lost the lawsuit, but when I contacted them I was told that my computer is obsolete and my only recourse was to purchase a new computer. Any suggestions? ANY help most appreciated. Thanks.

I gather that the restore didn't recognize your new hardwares. Try taking out the video card, then booting to windows at least and do the initial stuff like customizing the computer, updates, etc. Then, shut down and add video card, and boot again and see if the code goes away.

If not, you can always try installing a copy of windows by itself. But try the above first, that might work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows XP Graphics