Radeon HD 7850 fit inside Dell Studio Slim 540?

casarez

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
OK, I am a noob who has not gamed much over the last few years (if at all). A game is coming out which I do really want to play (MW Online). I checked the system requirements and it would seem it would work fine provided I upgraded my graphics card. I checked the reviews here for PCIe 2.0x16 etc cards and found one I think will work: Radeon HD 7850. I am just a little uncertain if it will fit in the case I have and whether I need an upgraded PSU as well or not.

My specs:

Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5Ghz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Radeon HD 4300/4500 <-- Replacing this.
750G HD Caviar Black
PS-5251-5 PSU 250W

Solution
yes you should be able to transfer your components without reinstalling windows, one thing you ought to know is that dell cases are custom made and the power button and the front panel might be some kind of a head ache because they usually use diferent wiring layouts, if you choose to transfer your components, my recomendation is browse the internet for the front panel diagram in the motherboard so when the new case arrives that wont be a problem

regarding the Power supply i thought those days where over after pentium 4 but maybe maybe just in case go for the one they tested in the other post and knew that worked fine

casarez

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Hello,

So I would be able to transfer the components of the Dell Studio Slim to the case you listed? if so should I choose a Corsair HX series PSU as indicated in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/334823-28-transfer-components-dell-slim-studio-case

Checking Newegg the HX seems to be out of stock.

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
yes you should be able to transfer your components without reinstalling windows, one thing you ought to know is that dell cases are custom made and the power button and the front panel might be some kind of a head ache because they usually use diferent wiring layouts, if you choose to transfer your components, my recomendation is browse the internet for the front panel diagram in the motherboard so when the new case arrives that wont be a problem

regarding the Power supply i thought those days where over after pentium 4 but maybe maybe just in case go for the one they tested in the other post and knew that worked fine

Solution

casarez

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

The one they tested is discontinued and may not be needed for the reason you stated. I guess it is time to get into hardware again. I thank you for the recommendations I will be ordering the case and PSU now to get them in an plan the transfer. I figure the graphics card can wait until I am done with that.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I always like Sapphire. I have a Sapphire 7850 and couldn't be happier. Love the dual fans and single 6 pin power connector. I've also heard good things about the ASUS and MSI 7850s, but don't have one personally.