How to get from IF or SW to Tanaris

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

I have a level 10 Human mage which I use to keep an eye on whats happening
on the Alliance AH and over time have amassed a fwew good items and recipes
which are rare as hens teeth on the Horde AH.

Now I need to get the little blighter to Tanararis (Gadgetzan) so I can
transfer them accross to the horde character. I plan on putting the items up
at fair price on the Gadgetzan and buying them out with the Horde character.
The money going back to the Alliance character will be used on future trips.

Anyway -the plan looks great on paper - but I have no idea what
zones/ships/zeps are used to get from either Ironforge or Stormwind all the
way over to Tanaris. Currently on SIF and SW are Griffon points I know.

Any pointers or directions are appreciated :)

In article <dg2ps7$2dl2$1@bunyip2.cc.uq.edu.au>,
"Rastus" <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote:

> I have a level 10 Human mage which I use to keep an eye on whats happening
> on the Alliance AH and over time have amassed a fwew good items and recipes
> which are rare as hens teeth on the Horde AH.
>
> Now I need to get the little blighter to Tanararis (Gadgetzan) so I can
> transfer them accross to the horde character. I plan on putting the items up
> at fair price on the Gadgetzan and buying them out with the Horde character.
> The money going back to the Alliance character will be used on future trips.
>
> Anyway -the plan looks great on paper - but I have no idea what
> zones/ships/zeps are used to get from either Ironforge or Stormwind all the
> way over to Tanaris. Currently on SIF and SW are Griffon points I know.
>
> Any pointers or directions are appreciated :)

The easy answer:

You'll need to get your Alliance character south to Booty Bay, to catch
the boat to Ratchet, or Menethil Harbor, and take the boat to Dustwallow
Marsh. Then it's a run through either the Barrens or Thousand Needles to
Tanaris - the mobs you'll be running by will be skulls to you, and
you'll do much corpse hopping to make it, unless escorted.

Once in Gadetstan, you can get the flight path.

I hope you figured in the 15% fee the AH charges there.

The reality:

I hope you realize you cannot buy cross faction from the same account ,
ie. you cannot bid on auctions created from the same account.

Your safest bet is to find a high enough level alliance player who can
get to Tanaris easily, and mail them the goods, and have them post the
auctions - and give them the 15% it will cost them for the effort. Then
your horde character can get the items. This is where guilds come in
handy, if you havent made a lot of friends online.

Don't forget that you have a 15% consignment fee when you do cross faction
auction.

Rastus wrote:
> I have a level 10 Human mage which I use to keep an eye on whats happening
> on the Alliance AH and over time have amassed a fwew good items and recipes
> which are rare as hens teeth on the Horde AH.
>
> Now I need to get the little blighter to Tanararis (Gadgetzan) so I can
> transfer them accross to the horde character. I plan on putting the items up
> at fair price on the Gadgetzan and buying them out with the Horde character.
> The money going back to the Alliance character will be used on future trips.
>
> Anyway -the plan looks great on paper - but I have no idea what
> zones/ships/zeps are used to get from either Ironforge or Stormwind all the
> way over to Tanaris. Currently on SIF and SW are Griffon points I know.
>
> Any pointers or directions are appreciated :)

No one else mentioned this so I will. I made it to Gadgetzan
unmolested by swimming south out of Theramore and taking the road from
Steamwheedle port. Being a rogue helped, but the only hostiles I saw
were around Steamwheedle. If you can avoide the turtles and get to the
road you'll be home free.

Note: don't wander too far away from the shore while swimming. You'll
start to fatigue.

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> First off, it won't work. You cannot bid on or buyout your own auctions.
> This is determined per account, so if you log on with a horde alt from the
> same account, you cannot bid on your alliance alt's auction. You have to
> get a friend to help you out.
>
> That said, the way to get to Tanaris from IF is to run or fly north to
> Menethil Harbor in the Wetlands, then take the southern boat across to
> Theramore in Dustwallow. Run east through Dustwallow to the Barrens, then
> south through 1000 Needles and Shimmering Flats to Gadgetzan.
>
> Be aware that this journey will involve a great deal of dying, as a level
> 10 alt.
>
> Brian

Double thank you for that, both the directions and the tip regarding
accounts. I have a friend who uses my old account (it was paid up 6 months
in advance) so he won't mind me rolling up an alliance character to sit in
Gadgetzan. Just mail the gear from my alliance Mage to the Gadgetzan alt
(friends account), put them up on the G AH and then buy out with the hordie
from my account.

Just means I need to watch out what time I do it as sometimes my server has
a queue and I don't want them sitting up on the Gadget AH longer than
necassary.

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

Coolness - I just checked and he already has a 20'ish Dorf Hunter he doesn't
use anymore that will be perfect for this purpose.

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> I hope you figured in the 15% fee the AH charges there.

Yes - predominantly it will be fore items for my own use and those of my RL
friends. The only exceptions will be those few items I am coming across in
IF AH which just never make it to Org AH, for any price. I will easily be
able to make profit in excess of 100%, and these are for 100gold + items so
is worth going to all the trouble to "smuggle" across.

Rastus wrote:
> I have a level 10 Human mage which I use to keep an eye on whats happening
> on the Alliance AH and over time have amassed a fwew good items and recipes
> which are rare as hens teeth on the Horde AH.
>
> Now I need to get the little blighter to Tanararis (Gadgetzan) so I can
> transfer them accross to the horde character. I plan on putting the items up
> at fair price on the Gadgetzan and buying them out with the Horde character.
> The money going back to the Alliance character will be used on future trips.
>
> Anyway -the plan looks great on paper - but I have no idea what
> zones/ships/zeps are used to get from either Ironforge or Stormwind all the
> way over to Tanaris. Currently on SIF and SW are Griffon points I know.
>
> Any pointers or directions are appreciated :)

I have a level 2 alt mule in Gadget. The easiest way to do it is to
get some friends and a warlock together and have them port you in.

-Alan

If you have a machine that is good enough, you can load up 2 instances
of WOW and log onto both accounts. Then you just need to Alt-Tab into
each one. I did this and then sell each thing for 1sp (ah heck giving
more cash to the gobo's) ... the alt-tab is pretty quick so there is
only a low chance of things being sniped. I also play in the off-hours
so theres hardly anyone in Gadgetzan anyway. Here's a tip for ya ...
pristine black diamonds from Horde to Alliance .... i was buying them
for 150-200 on horde and selling them for 300-500 on alliance .. nice
money when they were available :)

I actually took the geekiness to an extreme and loaded up the lootlink
mod for alliance and horde over multiple days then extracted the data
into a pivot table in excel so that i could compare the the differences
in price ranges oiver all items and flag items that had a large
disparity in pricing between realms. In the end though, i found
enchanting mats the best to trade, as the market is very liquid and
there are no listing costs.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Tilvios <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> Rastus wrote:
>> I have a level 10 Human mage which I use to keep an eye on whats
>> happening on the Alliance AH and over time have amassed a fwew
>> good items and recipes which are rare as hens teeth on the Horde
>> AH.
>>
>> Now I need to get the little blighter to Tanararis (Gadgetzan) so
>> I can transfer them accross to the horde character. I plan on
>> putting the items up at fair price on the Gadgetzan and buying
>> them out with the Horde character. The money going back to the
>> Alliance character will be used on future trips.
>>
>> Anyway -the plan looks great on paper - but I have no idea what
>> zones/ships/zeps are used to get from either Ironforge or
>> Stormwind all the way over to Tanaris. Currently on SIF and SW are
>> Griffon points I know.
>>
>> Any pointers or directions are appreciated :)
>
> No one else mentioned this so I will. I made it to Gadgetzan
> unmolested by swimming south out of Theramore and taking the road
> from Steamwheedle port. Being a rogue helped, but the only
> hostiles I saw
> were around Steamwheedle. If you can avoide the turtles and get to
> the
> road you'll be home free.

The turtles at Steamwheedle are not aggressive, it's the ones further
south that are.

--
Doc

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

I made it with only one death as being a hordie I know the difficult terrain
well (like Dustwallow Marsh, Barrens, Thousand Needles, Shimmering Flats).

As I approached the elevator that takes your from barrens down to thousand
needles the Tauren Guard aggroed at great range. I new there was a graveyard
at the bottom of the lift so I jumped right over the cliff to spawn down
there instead of further back in the Barrens.

After the kindly angel used a paint scraper to put the dwarf back together
it was an easy run with just a single further aggro (Freewind Outpost Brave)
which was outrun easily after my pet delayed him "taking one for the team".

Got all the items moved over - about 2K worth of stuff and lost about 300
gold in fees. I was putting high prices on the items to prevent them getting
"sniped" whilst changing characters so it was this safety that costed the
gold in fees. If you want to take a gamble then you can lower the fees
incurred drastically. Not something I will want to do often but I have the
characters in place for future transfers should the need arise again.

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> In the end though, i found
> enchanting mats the best to trade, as the market is very liquid and
> there are no listing costs.

Yup - I am onto this one already. I speculate pretty heavily in enchanting
mats as a way of maintaining my AH lifestyle without having to visit my
Chinese Monkey Minions on a daily basis.