CD Drive not executing Autorun, etc.

August 1, 2005 12:01:39 AM

Hi All,

My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer display
any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive continues
to run fine.

This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w is
legit from Microsoft.)

Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.

I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
"Take no action." I think that was my undoing.

I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
Explorer."

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Richard Muller
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:30:02 AM

Richard, check at Kelly's
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select A and scroll to
Autoplay
"Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
> light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
> display any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
> continues to run fine.
>
> This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
> I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
> etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
> is legit from Microsoft.)
>
> Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
> exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
> and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
>
> I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
> "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
>
> I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
> selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
> Explorer."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard Muller

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 9:24:19 PM

Hi Folks,

Thanks to both of you. I manage to screw that system even more, so I'll
get back to this issue when I "unscrew" my now-more-serious errors.

Regards,
Richard
August 3, 2005 6:28:01 AM

"Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
> light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
> display any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
> continues to run fine.
>
> This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
> I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
> etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
> is legit from Microsoft.)
>
> Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
> exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
> and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
>
> I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
> "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
>
> I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
> selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
> Explorer."
>
> Any ideas?

Autoplay Repair Wizard

TinyUrl for Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://tinyurl.com/4f2mx

--
William
Anonymous

Hi Richard,

Answer below

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:01:39 -0400, "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
>light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer display
>any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive continues
>to run fine.
>
>This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
>I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
>etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w is
>legit from Microsoft.)
>
>Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
>exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
>and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
>
>I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
>"Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
>
>I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
>selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
>Explorer."
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Richard Muller

I had the exact same problem. The only file from any CD that would show in
explorer was dated 12/31/1994. My CD RW is a TDK only 2 years old.

I bought a Memorex CXD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner from Best Buy today for $9.99,
ran it and my CD's play perfectly. Amazing what dust can do. It's sure
cheaper than new hardware.

HTH

Gene Aker
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:40:07 PM

Hi William and Gene,

Thanks for your inputs. I managed to screw up another computer, so I'm
working on a dual solution right now. I bought a 160GB external drive with
a USB2 interface. I'm hoping I can get the dead system to boot from that
after I load WinXP or, if that fails, Linux.

I'll post if I get any success.

Regards,
Richard

"Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
> light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
display
> any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
continues
> to run fine.
>
> This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
> I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
> etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
is
> legit from Microsoft.)
>
> Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
> exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
> and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
>
> I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
> "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
>
> I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
> selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
> Explorer."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard Muller

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:02:40 AM

Right click on the CD drive icon in My Computer

Properties

Auto Play Tab

you can set to auto play or not for each type of file.

!