CD Drive not executing Autorun, etc.

Hi All,

My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer display
any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive continues
to run fine.

This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w is
legit from Microsoft.)

Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.

I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
"Take no action." I think that was my undoing.

I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
Explorer."

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Richard Muller
6 answers Last reply
More about drive executing autorun

    Richard, check at Kelly's
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select A and scroll to
    Autoplay
    "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
    > light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
    > display any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
    > continues to run fine.
    >
    > This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
    > I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
    > etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
    > is legit from Microsoft.)
    >
    > Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
    > exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
    > and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
    >
    > I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
    > "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
    >
    > I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
    > selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
    > Explorer."
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Richard Muller

    Hi Folks,

    Thanks to both of you. I manage to screw that system even more, so I'll
    get back to this issue when I "unscrew" my now-more-serious errors.

    Regards,
    Richard

    "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
    > light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
    > display any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
    > continues to run fine.
    >
    > This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
    > I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
    > etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
    > is legit from Microsoft.)
    >
    > Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
    > exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
    > and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
    >
    > I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
    > "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
    >
    > I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
    > selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
    > Explorer."
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Autoplay Repair Wizard
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en&Hash=DW4KWS4

    TinyUrl for Autoplay Repair Wizard
    http://tinyurl.com/4f2mx

    --
    William

    Hi Richard,

    Answer below

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:01:39 -0400, "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
    >light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer display
    >any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive continues
    >to run fine.
    >
    >This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
    >I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
    >etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w is
    >legit from Microsoft.)
    >
    >Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
    >exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
    >and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
    >
    >I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
    >"Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
    >
    >I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
    >selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
    >Explorer."
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Richard Muller

    I had the exact same problem. The only file from any CD that would show in
    explorer was dated 12/31/1994. My CD RW is a TDK only 2 years old.

    I bought a Memorex CXD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner from Best Buy today for $9.99,
    ran it and my CD's play perfectly. Amazing what dust can do. It's sure
    cheaper than new hardware.

    HTH

    Gene Aker

    Hi William and Gene,

    Thanks for your inputs. I managed to screw up another computer, so I'm
    working on a dual solution right now. I bought a 160GB external drive with
    a USB2 interface. I'm hoping I can get the dead system to boot from that
    after I load WinXP or, if that fails, Linux.

    I'll post if I get any success.

    Regards,
    Richard

    "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My CD drive no longer causes an Autorun.exe to execute, though the "read
    > light" flickers when a disk is inserted. Nor will Windows Explorer
    display
    > any of the files of a CD on that drive. Meanwhile, my DVD drive
    continues
    > to run fine.
    >
    > This problem occurred after installing and running XP Pro for a few days.
    > I've been installing Visual Studio.Net, MS Office XP Pro 2002, SP2 for XP,
    > etc. All installations have executed without incident. (BTW, all the s/w
    is
    > legit from Microsoft.)
    >
    > Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
    > exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
    > and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
    >
    > I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
    > "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
    >
    > I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
    > selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
    > Explorer."
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Richard Muller

    Right click on the CD drive icon in My Computer

    Properties

    Auto Play Tab

    you can set to auto play or not for each type of file.

    "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Somewhere along the line, a dialog popped up that looked like (or was
    > exactly like) what I get by right-clicking a CD drive in Windows Explorer
    > and clicking Properties and then the AutoPlay tab.
    >
    > I don't remember which file-type was selected, but I remember selecting
    > "Take no action." I think that was my undoing.
    >
    > I invoked that dialog now and did the only thing that made sense to me: I
    > selected Mixed Content and "Open folder to view files using Windows
    > Explorer."
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Richard Muller