Installation of windows xp as a partition of windows 7 home premium

i have a new lap tab with windows 7 home premium 64-bit here i have a problem for installation pro e so i want have xp as a partition with out loosing windows 7 home premium (genuine)

please give me the answer or comments or suggestions to go2chaitu@gmail.com
15 answers Last reply
More about installation windows partition windows home premium
  1. Hello chaitanya1088;

    That's a good idea.

    Check this guide: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
    See OPTION TWO - When Windows 7 is Installed First
  2. Also - use XP Service Pack 3 for your WinXP install.
  3. It is better to install Windows XP first then Windows 7 if you install Windows XP last you will lose the Windows 7 boot loader. There are ways around this but it is complicated and not recommended. Have you considered the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC ? It is very good and its free with your version of Windows.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
  4. pjmelect said:
    It is better to install Windows XP first then Windows 7 if you install Windows XP last you will lose the Windows 7 boot loader. There are ways around this but it is complicated and not recommended. Have you considered the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC ? It is very good and its free with your version of Windows.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx


    You are incorrect - its not free with premium... its only free with professional/enterprise/ultimate.

    And its only good if you dont want to play games... its lack of directx capability is severely limiting for old game compatability.

    Cheers
  5. Quote:

    You are incorrect - its not free with premium... its only free with professional/enterprise/ultimate.


    You are correct I made a mistake it is not available for premium. This restriction is easy to get around but I wont say how here, but Google is your Friend.

    You are also right in saying that Windows 7 XP mode is no good for playing games because of the lack of directx graaphics but for everything else it is surprisingly good.


    .
  6. I am not sure I understand why you need to run Win XP. Is it because you have some older 16bit software that won't run under you Win7 premium 64bit?

    When you install XP on a second partition it will destroy the bootloader setting for Win7 as has already been said. You should always install the oldest OS first.

    Creating a partition to install WinXp just to run some older software is very wastefull of a laptops valuble hard disc space much better to use a virtual machine. I know Win7 vitual XP mode is not available to Win7 premium but Oracles VirtualBox is and it's free. That's what I use and you can try out other OS like Linux etc. Just make sure you have plenty of RAM.

    https://www.virtualbox.org/
  7. Major_Trouble said:
    I am not sure I understand why you need to run Win XP. Is it because you have some older 16bit software that won't run under you Win7 premium 64bit?


    Not trying to be funny - but I am staggered that you find this to be such a strange request/requirement. When I made the transition - some hardware and software were unable to transition with me.... I am amazed you have the lack of immagination to appreciate that this can happen.


    Major_Trouble said:
    Creating a partition to install WinXp just to run some older software is very wastefull of a laptops valuble hard disc space much better to use a virtual machine. I know Win7 vitual XP mode is not available to Win7 premium but Oracles VirtualBox is and it's free. That's what I use and you can try out other OS like Linux etc. Just make sure you have plenty of RAM.

    https://www.virtualbox.org/


    Again - you are showing a complete lack of imagination and being horribly presumptious.... for me... CPU cycles/RAM is more precious than HD space. and a "clean" XP .. with direct access to hardware can have some compeling advantages (e.g. easy access to directX... may be thats VERY important.... we dont know... he didnt say).

    Perhaps im being harsh... and its just your turn of phase... but it got my goat!! ;)
    Cheers
  8. FYI, there's no legal way to install XP on your laptop unless you purchase a new full or OEM disc (OEM is about $100. Do they still sell them?)

    Anyway, it is actually not too hard to install XP after Windows 7. You:
    1) create the 2nd partition (EASEUS free software)
    2) Install XP to that partition by normal method (probably be "D" drive?)
    3) use a tool to update the Windows 7 bootloader to include XP as an option

    http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html
  9. photonboy said:
    FYI, there's no legal way to install XP on your laptop unless you purchase a new full or OEM disc (OEM is about $100. Do they still sell them?)
    If he has the retail copy it's perfectly legal.
  10. FYI, I'm pretty knowledgeable in computers. I've built many.

    I can honestly say that aside from driver support for printers or scanners I have yet to see any advantage to XP over Windows 7. Yet Windows 7 has many, many advantages over XP.

    Windows 7 also has a far better Memory Manager. Vista used too much, then Windows 7 corrected this but also created a new Memory Manager that is able to load/unload software much more efficiently than XP.

    Also, Windows 7 is far more secure and reliable.
  11. Windows XP legal?
    Windows can be installed on a new computer if it's a "FULL" version. OEM versions cost about $100 now and FULL versions are over 2x that price. OEM versions can only be installed on one computer, and once Activated can't be used on another legally.
  12. photonboy said:
    1) create the 2nd partition (EASEUS free software)
    3) use a tool to update the Windows 7 bootloader to include XP as an option

    (1) EASEUS Partition Manager would work but isn't necessary. Win7 can do it just fine.
    (3) The Windows 7 installation or Repair/Recovery disk created by the user would work. So would EasyBCD which is what I use.

    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/175/100611023.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  13. photonboy said:
    FYI, I'm pretty knowledgeable in computers. I've built many.

    I can honestly say that aside from driver support for printers or scanners I have yet to see any advantage to XP over Windows 7. Yet Windows 7 has many, many advantages over XP.

    Windows 7 also has a far better Memory Manager. Vista used too much, then Windows 7 corrected this but also created a new Memory Manager that is able to load/unload software much more efficiently than XP.

    Also, Windows 7 is far more secure and reliable.


    Jez.... two pompus "up their own Ar$$" people in one thread :fou:

    You get so wrapped up in the tech you seem to completely forget what people have computers for... to "DO STUFF"
    He may well be someone who does not give two hoots if Win 7 can swap memroy 23.6678675% more efficiently... all he knows is that he wants his scanner to work.. or a
    cherised piece of software to work.

    So you throw in a "asside from xxxx" and that may be EXACTLY... why he needs it

    I better shut up before i get a ban :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:
  14. yoji said:
    Not trying to be funny - but I am staggered that you find this to be such a strange request/requirement. When I made the transition - some hardware and software were unable to transition with me.... I am amazed you have the lack of immagination to appreciate that this can happen.


    Again - you are showing a complete lack of imagination and being horribly presumptious.... for me... CPU cycles/RAM is more precious than HD space. and a "clean" XP .. with direct access to hardware can have some compeling advantages (e.g. easy access to directX... may be thats VERY important.... we dont know... he didnt say).


    Perhaps im being harsh... and its just your turn of phase... but it got my goat!! ;)
    Cheers


    The OP failed to give a reason for needing to install XP and not once, in any way, did I say it was a strange request. Very presumptious on your part. How can you, again, presume I have no immagination when I in fact offer the most likely reason to need to install XP as a question to help clear things up. :non:

    I feel you are being very harsh as at no point did I pressume anything but offered a solution to his problem which I felt the best with the information the OP offered, something you failed to do yourself. I have to say you're acting like a troll getting all upset and trying to bait people. :kaola:
  15. yoji said:
    Jez.... two pompus "up their own Ar$$" people in one thread :fou:

    You get so wrapped up in the tech you seem to completely forget what people have computers for... to "DO STUFF"
    He may well be someone who does not give two hoots if Win 7 can swap memroy 23.6678675% more efficiently... all he knows is that he wants his scanner to work.. or a
    cherised piece of software to work.

    So you throw in a "asside from xxxx" and that may be EXACTLY... why he needs it

    I better shut up before i get a ban :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:



    MORE troll like behaviour. Please try to help rather than just criticize people suggestions. :non:
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Partition Windows XP