Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Removed heatsink, need new paste?

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2013 4:49:09 AM

I am building a new computer. The heatsink had preapplied paste on it. I removed it after it was on the cpu in mobo for like 4 hours ( I noticed the orientation of my heatsink wasnt as pictured in the manual) (AMD FX 8350). Is it safe to say that I'm OK? Or should I put new paste on. I booted it up once or twice on a test boot, but haven't really USED the machine yet. Still good to go? Should I just boot it up and then look at the temps and determine if im ok? Mad thanks to all repliers.

More about : removed heatsink paste

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 4:56:29 AM

yes you can boot it up.
January 24, 2013 5:01:13 AM

Best answer selected by anthonyp619.
Score
Related resources
January 24, 2013 5:01:48 AM

satyamdubey said:
yes you can boot it up.

Thanks ;) 
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 5:06:03 AM

wait wait!!!....please dont jump to selecting best answer just like that. First you must monitor temps to see if you are ok.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 5:16:26 AM

Just because you can boot it up does not mean that the heat sink will function as designed. The top of the cpu and the heat sink are not perfectly flat. Thermal paste is used to fill in the micro gaps to make sure heat is transferred efficiently. You should have checked to see is the thermal paste had spread out. If it had the old paste should have been cleaned off and new paste applied.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 5:27:37 AM

Anthony, just so you do not panic for facts I can state that the thermal compound takes a lot more time to set than 4 hours. In fact Arctic silver 5 takes about 2 weeks of 8 hour running to set or 200 hrs.

the stock compound is as good in quality and I have installed and removed and reinstalled heat sink with pre applied compound. I get very good temp read outs.

I stand by what I suggested. I only advice posters to take in a few more suggestions before they close a thread. :) 

-satyam
Score
January 24, 2013 8:50:11 AM

anthonyp619 said:
I am building a new computer. The heatsink had preapplied paste on it. I removed it after it was on the cpu in mobo for like 4 hours ( I noticed the orientation of my heatsink wasnt as pictured in the manual) (AMD FX 8350). Is it safe to say that I'm OK? Or should I put new paste on. I booted it up once or twice on a test boot, but haven't really USED the machine yet. Still good to go? Should I just boot it up and then look at the temps and determine if im ok? Mad thanks to all repliers.

A paste is just a paste unless you bought the cheapr it will not last for a longer period of time. Wait until the cpu restart its self thats when u can realize the problem..
Score
!