New Gaming Rig unexpectedly shuts down

fate0ftehfall3n

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

I built my brother a gaming rig around the end of June. It was working flawlessly, but when the end of August came around and consecutively worse into September, it's been shutting down on it's own without warning. I've cleaned it, unplug/replug components, moved it to a part of his room that supports more air flow, checked the CPU temps, updated the BIOS... basically everything that I could personally think of. It shuts down faster when he is gaming rather than normal PC usage... and even with a temp reader the CPU range is between 35-50C when in full gaming use. When I fire the PC back up (or it reconvenes on it's own), I do get this error message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000094
BCP2: FFFFF88005AB671A
BCP3: FFFFF880040DAD98
BCP4: FFFFF880040DA5F0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090912-20404-01.dmp
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13492495-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

No BSoD even occurs, yet that is what the message specifies. Is there anyone out there that can help me with my problem? I want taking it to a professional to fix it to be a last resort, since I have the ability to do everything else beforehand.

My brother's rig specs are as follows (everything is at stock speeds):

Intel Core i5-2500K w/ COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler
ASUS Radeon HD 6770 1GB
ASUS P8Z68-V LX MOBO
Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Corsair Carbide 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB HDD
DVD Writer Drive
Connected wirelessly with a WNDA3100v2 Netgear USB Adapter

Thanks for all the help in advance. I really appreciate it!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Dang your psu is overkill for that system :p

I'd check your ram. Download and run memtest86+ having only one stick in at a time. If one of the sticks produces a number of errors, it's the faulty stick.

fate0ftehfall3n

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Sorry I haven't been on here... busy with college and all...

Anyway, I ran memtest86 through the disk. No errors. I talked to my friend's dad (who programs, troubleshoots, and debugs for a living), and he said that it sounds like a video card issue. This caught me by surprise since I didn't take to mind that a video card could shut down your who rig. Testing Driver Fusion (Driver Sweeper) and going through that process to see if there was a faulty file within the driver.

fate0ftehfall3n

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Okay, this is getting annoying. I completely replaced the drivers and that wasn't the issue either. Has anyone else had this issue? This particular gaming rig was expensive, and to not be able to play games without it shutting down without warning is ridiculous. I want my co-op buddy back :(

Please someone help ASAP. Thank you in advance!

fsxnoobies

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
check for ur pci slot see if it dirty
check all the plug to see if one of them bend.....what the rating of ur GPU....if GPU if GPU take too much out of PSU then the MB didnt have enought....check if your CPU cooler have enought air flow or if your I5 is over heating..what resolution and see if your window function right

fate0ftehfall3n

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I'll clean it out, but I already tested the wattage for the GPU, made more room for airflow, and specifically said that I tested my CPU temps and they were normal.

Anyone else have suggestions?

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Your problem sounds very similar to mine. I too am experiancing random shutdowns on my win 7 desktop pc. I thought it maybe the graphic card to and i purchased a new card but i am still having shutdowns. I now believe the problem is the psu and i am going to swap it out tomorrow with a known good psu. Your psu could be failing like mine. Ill post back with results.

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
A new psu solved all issues. I was able to game for 4 hours with no crash. When before it was crashin every 15 mins. I would trying doing what i did and swap the psu with a know working power supply.

Hope that works for ya as it did me :)

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I forgot to add things i tried before swaping psu

Memtest = no errors

Checked and updated ALL drivers ( triple checked audio and video ) = no errors

Decided it was time to upgrade anyways and bought a new graphic card = worked great but didnt solve my problem

While i installed the graphics card i cleaned out ALL dust i could possibly get. Including cpu cooler and cleaned/reapplied thermal paste. I was pretty anal about it too lol.

Finally i was convinced it had to be the psu and BINGO problem solved.