Desktop shortcuts vs Documents and Settingsusernamedesktop

I'm using WinXP Home SP2. A lot of my desktop shortcuts aren't represented
in C:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop. Also, I set up a new user for
my grandson expecting to see a clean desktop with only a recycle bin. I got
five shortcut icons with nothing in C:\D & S\username\desktop, and I couldnot
move the icons to the recycle bin. Can somebody tell me what's going on?
8 answers Last reply
More about desktop shortcuts documents settingsusernamedesktop

    Hi BudV, it would be helpful if you would let the group know which icons
    you're talking about ;)

    However, I'll take a guess and say... My Documents, My Computer, My Network
    Places and Internet Explorer?

    If these are the ones then rightclick your desktop and select properties
    then on the desktop tab select customize desktop and uncheck the ones you
    don't want. Otherwise rightclick the offending icons and select properties
    and take a look in the general tab, it will tell you where the icon resides
    on your hard drive.

    Andy

    "BudV" <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using WinXP Home SP2. A lot of my desktop shortcuts aren't
    > represented
    > in C:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop. Also, I set up a new user
    > for
    > my grandson expecting to see a clean desktop with only a recycle bin. I
    > got
    > five shortcut icons with nothing in C:\D & S\username\desktop, and I
    > couldnot
    > move the icons to the recycle bin. Can somebody tell me what's going on?

    Desktop icons are also stored in documents and settings\all users\desktop.
    As the path implies, it holds shortcuts that apply to all users.

    BudV wrote:
    > I'm using WinXP Home SP2. A lot of my desktop shortcuts aren't
    > represented in C:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop. Also, I
    > set up a new user for my grandson expecting to see a clean desktop
    > with only a recycle bin. I got five shortcut icons with nothing in
    > C:\D & S\username\desktop, and I couldnot move the icons to the
    > recycle bin. Can somebody tell me what's going on?

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

    OR..

    Special shortcuts (Windows ones) that would usually be defined in the
    registry (although you can turn them off and create your own shortcuts for
    them if you wish) like My Computer, Network Places, etc.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory. You can create
    your
    own "Default User" based off of one of your administrative level users so
    that
    all new users look/feel that way when they first log in:
    How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319974

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    How can a guy lose when he's got support like you three?

    Actually, Andy, none of your guesses was right. If it had been just those,
    I wouldn't have been surprised and posted the question in the first place.

    Jason, you were right. The eight shortcuts showing were in C:\D&S\all
    users\desktop, and not showing for the main user. I just moved them to the
    main users's desktop with Windows Explorer, and that cleaned up everything
    very nicely, including my head.

    The only question remaining is this: All the work was being done for a
    single main user. The situation came after a completely fresh re-install
    onto an erased hard-drive. It wasn't until I added the 2nd user that I was
    even aware of it. What was it that decided that these eight shortcuts
    belonged under "all users" instead of the main user?

    Thanks to all of you.

    Bud

    BudV wrote:
    > How can a guy lose when he's got support like you three?
    >
    > Actually, Andy, none of your guesses was right. If it had been just
    > those, I wouldn't have been surprised and posted the question in the
    > first place.
    >
    > Jason, you were right. The eight shortcuts showing were in C:\D&S\all
    > users\desktop, and not showing for the main user. I just moved them
    > to the main users's desktop with Windows Explorer, and that cleaned
    > up everything very nicely, including my head.
    >
    > The only question remaining is this: All the work was being done for
    > a single main user. The situation came after a completely fresh
    > re-install onto an erased hard-drive. It wasn't until I added the
    > 2nd user that I was even aware of it. What was it that decided that
    > these eight shortcuts belonged under "all users" instead of the main
    > user?

    They were always under All Users.
    That's the way good applications install - they either put their shortcut
    where all users on your computer can get the access OR they ask you if all
    users should have access to these applications or just the currently logged
    in one..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    BudV wrote:
    > How can a guy lose when he's got support like you three?
    >
    > Actually, Andy, none of your guesses was right. If it had been just
    > those, I wouldn't have been surprised and posted the question in the
    > first place.
    >
    > Jason, you were right. The eight shortcuts showing were in C:\D&S\all
    > users\desktop, and not showing for the main user. I just moved them
    > to the main users's desktop with Windows Explorer, and that cleaned
    > up everything very nicely, including my head.
    >
    > The only question remaining is this: All the work was being done for
    > a single main user. The situation came after a completely fresh
    > re-install onto an erased hard-drive. It wasn't until I added the
    > 2nd user that I was even aware of it. What was it that decided that
    > these eight shortcuts belonged under "all users" instead of the main
    > user?
    >
    > Thanks to all of you.

    Oh - unless you upgraded your OS before instead of a clean install (and
    those applications were installed prior to the upgrading of the OS) - then
    that would explain why (if you did before) you saw the icons in what you
    deemed to tbe the correct folder (yours) and not "All Users".

    Windows XP - Multi-User OS - whether actually used by one person or many.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Just for the record. I didn't upgrade the OS. I went from WinX Home SP2 to
    WinXP Home SP2. Before the re-install, I erased the hard disk, completely,
    totally. There wasn't a bit left. All the 1's and 0's were broken in half
    and changed to i's and u's :-) Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing left fom before.

    Thanks again for the help.

    BudV wrote:
    > Just for the record. I didn't upgrade the OS. I went from WinX Home
    > SP2 to WinXP Home SP2. Before the re-install, I erased the hard
    > disk, completely, totally. There wasn't a bit left. All the 1's and
    > 0's were broken in half and changed to i's and u's :-) Nada. Zip.
    > Zilch. Nothing left fom before.

    Okay then, 'All Users' would have been the folder where most newer
    applications would have put their shortcuts - older applications do not
    handle the multi-user environment with such reliability.

    Remember - these are JUST shortcuts. They are not needed to run the
    application. =)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

Configuration Desktops Customization Icons Windows XP