[SOLVED] New power supply, but the computer will not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenorces

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I recently upgraded the memory from 4GB to 8GB. Then the computer has been having blue screen frequently. The old power supply makes a lot of noise after the blue screen, and the computer would not boot into the BIOS. I thought I need to replace the power supply to fix this problem (plus the old power supply fan was making so much noise when i was playing game).
So I bought a new Raidmax RX-850AE power supply from Fry's based on the good reviews on Amazon. Went home, Removed the old power supply Antec 550 plus, installed the Raidmax in. Now the computer will not turn on at all. When I press the power button, the Raidmax makes a faint squishy sound, but nothing happens (no light no fan nothing). I then check all the connectors (24 pin motherboard, 8 pin CPU, hard drive, CD drive, 2 CPU pci-e) and all connected perfectly.
I then put the Antec 550 plus back, and the computer turns on just fine. So I thought the Raidmax I bought is defected. I returns it, and exchange for the same Raidmax.
However the same thing happen, nothing happens. So i brings the power supply back to Fry's. The technician at Fry's tests it and confirms that it works normally.
I have been googling for the solution all night but could not find any. I hope I can find the answer here.

Davy

System information:
Motherboard: GA-P55A-UD3
Power supply: Raidmax RX-850AE
Memory: 8GB
CPU: Core i7
Graphic card: Radeon HD 5870

Updated 01/24/13: The problem is the Raidmax's cables are totally different with the Antec's cables. So I replaced all Antec's cables with the Raidmax's and everything works. I guess most other posts online might have this same issues.

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hmmm... Perhaps your ram is faulty? Because that seems to be when the problems started... Try starting the pc with just one stick and then the other. I'm not sure if that will work, but its worth a try. Most likely suspect is your mother board. I have also heard of a rare problem where a psu just isn't compatible with certain set ups.

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Aaah, I'm sorry greenorces... I know how frustrating it is, believe me! I hope you come right my man, try a different psu... If you still have problems, I'm afraid it may be either your mobo or ram... I have had frequent blue screens in the past and each time it turned out to be my ram, and not old ram, brand new ram! I've also twice had the problem where my pc just won't start, it tries for a second then dies, first time mobo was the culprit, second time it was the psu!

It's so frustrating that it could be so many things, and often you don't have all the parts to test them. The quickest way would be to take your pc down to a pc shop and ask them to check it out for you.

greenorces

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I am really appreciated the help from you man. Everything is fine now. I realized different power supply use different cables which is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.