Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Liquid Cooling System advice request.

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2012 7:57:33 PM

Need some advice on my next build. I've done a few with closed loop LCS systems, but this time I'd really like to push my limits. I'm seriously considering the Corsair Obsidian 800D Chassis, with an ASUS Sabertooth (think it is Z79 series) 2011 socket (or even the ASUS dual Xeon 2011 socket board) (haven't decided on the CPU(s) yet). I want to custom liquid cool the CPU, GPU and the RAM for sure. (OC it, as well). I'd really appreciate any recommendations or advice on a decent LCS system (Reservoir/Pump and blocks). I'm unfamiliar with compatibility between cooling block brands and interchange-ability with different pumps, etc. I'm thinking a RAM block may need to be different brand than what comes with a CPU LCS kit, if I'm not mistaken. I assume the length of tubing and flow within a larger circuit of loops (from CPU to RAM-GPU) make no difference on the type of pump needed? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If anyone has any recommendations as to what brands or kits would be good for a project like this, I would greatly appreciate it. It's something I want to do for my next build, more or less to improve my experience and have some fun.

On another not (and not really applicable to this forum), I work at an electronic repair shop (they also own a gaming store similar to Gamestop. So I do a lot of console repairs. We have tons of old & new consoles stacked. Some for parts & some for refurbs. One of the things I've been wanting to do is liquid cool an Xbox 360. I know it's stupid (can't OC it), but it would be eye candy for a store display and just for the message that we can do it for customers. I've seen the Koolance kits (but they are no longer available). I want to slap on a clear case and run a smaller LCS system through it. So, I was wondering if there is a cheap and tiny pump/res that would work with an alphacool (from frozencpu) block. Thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 8:41:28 PM

Don't buy H-100 not worth it's price also has a high risk of failure here just a couple sources to get my point across:
Source 1 -- http://www.guru3d.com/news/corsair-has-bad-batch-of-h10...

Source 2 -- http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99472

Source 3 -- http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99361t..., the NH-D14 and H100 preform almost the same, except that the NH-D14 is much more quiet.The H-100 has to have it's loud stock fans on high to barley beat the NH-D14 by 4c that's not worth $30.00 more for they are terrible cooling/value, it's sad that consumers see "Water-cooling" (IMO this is "fake" water cooling in that it's all in a closed loop) and it's embarrassing they think it'll cool the best. However the temps speak for itself, a $75.00 air cooler can practically cool within a margin of error , if not beat, a $110 closed-loop WC solution with the dBA being similar. Sad. Anyway i would suggest (the Ncotua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow)

But the fact remains, the H100 is inferior to top of the line air coolers while costing more. Nobody said it isn't a decent cooler, i simply said there are better coolers that cost less, like the Silver Arrow and NH-D14.

Quote :

Here's you a review with sound pressure, push/pull configs and ACTUAL READINGS in the graphs

And "here's you a review" with noise levels and cooling performance compared to the Silver Arrow, one of the coolers i recommended.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...

Notice how the H100 only beats the Silver Arrow by 1.2 degrees when on max, and 1 degree when on medium, which is basically just bumping into limitations of any cooling system that's not sub-ambient. Looking at the overclocked results when such a limitation isn't present, the H100's lead expands to 1.3 degrees on max, only ties it on medium.

Now look at this noise chart.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...

Notice how the Silver Arrow is significantly quieter than the H100 unless you set the H100 to its lowest setting. The Silver Arrow is a whopping 4.6c cooler than the H100 on low, and the H100's lead in noise is only 1.3 dB. On medium it's 5 dB louder (which only tied the Silver Arrow in cooling), and remember dB is a logarithmic scale, 5 dB is not a small difference. On max, the only setting that beat the Silver Arrow in cooling, it's an astounding 9.3 dB louder. That's nearly ten times as loud.

I stand by my statement. The H100 is louder and more expensive than top of the line air coolers and can only outperform them when it's producing much more noise. Nearly ten times as much noise, to be precise. If you are strictly considering budget and performance, the Corsair units are far and away a pointless investment compared to air cooling solutions that perform on-par for less money.It's a big no no if you want to be accepted in the watercooling thing H-100 is a no go most are just nice about it but find it disrespectful or a joke and can't say i blame them look how bad those things make watercooling look that don't understand not all wc is equal.

This is the main point i been trying to make on forums.It's misguided misconceptions like these as to why so many people don't understand watercooling in the first place. A Rasa 240 RS kit starts at about $20 more than your H100 and will beat it hands down any day of the week. I'm not sure where you are shopping but H-100 retail @ $109.99 then consider the cost of replacing those loud fans and Bottom line... Phanteks
Thermalright Silver Arrow
Noc DH-14
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/super-...
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe...

The Phanteks has a 5 year warranty, and some feel it looks better than most color section on fans on other two some find horrible.

XSPC Rasa 240 for $149 You either choose a good air cooler that will provide the same cooling ability based on logic,and noobs claiming it's greatness you buy a LCS Corsair/Antec unit to say you 'watercool' but don't get any better results than air cooling, or you step up into actual watercooling.
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:52:35 PM

Thanks. I think the Phantek would be the best bet for an air cooler (and effeciency). I hate stock fans. I'm still having trying to stick with with a real custom liquid cooling system, though. Definitely not the Corsair H-100. I'm just going with a Corsair chassis. Several reasons I'm locked into having to make it liquid cooled. I'm doing the build for someone who is dead set on having a liquid cooling system (and will spare no cost in doing so). Doesn't want a closed loop. Just did one on a Tt Chaser MK-1 with a cheap Water 2.0. Loud, but affordable and did drop the CPU temp nearly 20c (which surprised me). So this time I'm free'd up enough to select my own components (to a point). I think it's the "cool" factor, where they want the UV LCS tubes, sound activated cold cathodes, etc. Still, whether I put in a Sabertooth or even the dual Xeon 2011 CPU mobo (which I've heard runs pretty hot), there will be a lot of RAM and a powerful GPU that will need to be cooled. This will be where I'll need a really good LCS. Sizeably, with so much going into this, I'll have a real struggle to manage airflow properly w/o adding an LCS.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 10:16:18 PM

SuperAxilla said:
Thanks. I think the Phantek would be the best bet for an air cooler (and effeciency). I hate stock fans. I'm still having trying to stick with with a real custom liquid cooling system, though. Definitely not the Corsair H-100. I'm just going with a Corsair chassis. Several reasons I'm locked into having to make it liquid cooled. I'm doing the build for someone who is dead set on having a liquid cooling system (and will spare no cost in doing so). Doesn't want a closed loop. Just did one on a Tt Chaser MK-1 with a cheap Water 2.0. Loud, but affordable and did drop the CPU temp nearly 20c (which surprised me). So this time I'm free'd up enough to select my own components (to a point). I think it's the "cool" factor, where they want the UV LCS tubes, sound activated cold cathodes, etc. Still, whether I put in a Sabertooth or even the dual Xeon 2011 CPU mobo (which I've heard runs pretty hot), there will be a lot of RAM and a powerful GPU that will need to be cooled. This will be where I'll need a really good LCS. Sizeably, with so much going into this, I'll have a real struggle to manage airflow properly w/o adding an LCS.
Oh i highly suggest water cooling only thing i don't like it's very addictive i recommend if your willing to spend $140.00 get this http://jab-tech.com/XSPC-RayStorm-750-RS240-WaterCoolin... you could find it for $129.99 sometimes also all guys into watercooling are recommend to go here and check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-...
September 9, 2012 10:40:15 PM

Thanks, The Raystorm kits will be perfect. I see where they have the ATI and GTX blocks too. I'm guessing any RAM block would work too. Totally get the addictive thing. since I started building rigs, I've gotten sucked in. It's like a drug. Once I finish a build, I immediately start itching to do another (and bigger and better). I'll check the forum link and bookmark it. Post Edit: This link in the forums will help me tremendously. Thanks again.
m
l
September 9, 2012 10:40:31 PM

Best answer selected by SuperAxilla.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2012 1:17:11 AM

Your very welcome!And,yes lots of reading i think this thread here listed below was the one that helped me most and stay on one topic at a time rather then jumping all over the place maybe it will do the same for you i never finished high school didn't get my GED till i was in my late twenties so if i caught on that easy i am sure you can understand possibly easier lol http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/water-cooling/33772-wate...
m
l
!