Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[UK] New PC build - What PSU to match spec I have in mind?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2012 8:32:43 PM

Hello,

I have previous experience in upgrading and adding components to my current PC which is about 5 years old I think. Q6600 CPU quad-core, 4gig ddr2 ram, 320gb HDD, 1tb HDD etc etc

And now I am reading to start a new build, but would like a little advice on the PSU I should go for? I would also like a little side advice on the spec I am considering, I am also not 100% sure on the case but cant find many decent options (dont want to spend too much on a case) Here goes:

SILVERSTONE CASE - £84
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-tj09s-silver...

Asus Sabertooth Z77 MOTHERBOARD - £180
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-sabertooth-z77-inte...

INTEL i7 3770K CPU - £250
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-3770k-s115...

SANDISK EXTREME 240GB SSD - £120
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-sandisk-extreme-25...

16GB of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - Not sure which type yet. (Possible upgrade to 32gb of RAM in future)

Graphics Card - I wont be buying straight away, but want the PSU to have enough power to handle a high end card. Such as a GeForce GTX 680/670/660. Not sure what I will get, but dont want to be limited by PSU.

PIONEER BLU-RAY WRITER - £60
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/pioneer-bdr-207dbk-blu-r...

Old parts I am considering adding to the new box - 1TB HDD Samsung Spinpoint F1, Sony DVD Writer, 7.1 Soundblaster Card, Card Reader Bay.

I am a graphic design graduate and will be using the machine for alot of graphic design and would like to be open to explore 3D software, video editing etc etc. I would use the machine for alot more than general use.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help, and I can answer any additional questions that might help me.
September 9, 2012 8:41:01 PM

520W is enough for either of those without CF/SLI.
September 9, 2012 8:45:59 PM

fire r a g e said:
520W is enough for either of those without CF/SLI.


From what I have read, that is nowhere near enough? and would definitely not make my new build future proof like the other components I am going to be buying.

I do have no plans on CF/SLI though. I might dabble in a little PC gaming, but more of an Xbox guy. So the machine is not being built for gaming.
Related resources
September 9, 2012 8:52:50 PM

fire r a g e said:
520W is enough for either of those without CF/SLI.

A gtx 680 + this setup requires 550W Minimum!!! A 600W is perfect for your rig, unless you want to go sli.
September 9, 2012 8:54:51 PM

Then you don't need anything more. If it is light gaming, you don't even come close to using 520W.
September 9, 2012 8:56:50 PM

borntogrill said:
A gtx 680 + this setup requires 550W Minimum!!! A 600W is perfect for your rig, unless you want to go sli.


Thanks for the reply, I was pretty sure the other guy was wrong.

I doubt I will ever SLI, but at same time, I would like my machine to be as future proof as possible without going overkill on a PSU.

Would an 850W Corsair PSU be a good option? Or are other brands more recommended? Not sure who are most reliable PSU suppliers these days?
September 9, 2012 8:58:09 PM

No, that is not correct. The NVIDIA requirements page assumes you are using a no name brand 500W PSU.
September 9, 2012 9:03:00 PM

He is not wrong. He was dead on. I HAVE a 7950 and run it fine on 520W (an Antec I had laying around).
September 9, 2012 9:05:01 PM

azeem40 said:
He is not wrong. He was dead on. I HAVE a 7950 and run it fine on 520W (an Antec I had laying around).


The Nvidia Spec page for the GTX 680 says this:

Thermal and Power Specs:
98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)
195 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
550 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)4
Two 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors


550W MINIMUM.

That's without taking into account the fact I want the system to be future proof and able to be upgraded if needed. Would rather my machine not struggling for power
September 9, 2012 9:07:37 PM

Seasonic or Corsair 750-850 watt psu would be my recommendation. You get the best out of the psu when your system uses about 60-75% of your PSU. I would recommend a 850 because after you get 1 680 or 670 for example you may in the future want to get another. Also if you look ahead to your next build it may for all you know require a lot more power.( generations of CPU/GPUs are known to change in wattage usage. look at the difference between 570-670 etc) If you get a good brand of PSU you could carry it on into the your next build if not the one after that as well. Good luck.
September 9, 2012 9:10:58 PM

[/url]
Jamez118 said:
Hello,

I have previous experience in upgrading and adding components to my current PC which is about 5 years old I think. Q6600 CPU quad-core, 4gig ddr2 ram, 320gb HDD, 1tb HDD etc etc

And now I am reading to start a new build, but would like a little advice on the PSU I should go for? I would also like a little side advice on the spec I am considering, I am also not 100% sure on the case but cant find many decent options (dont want to spend too much on a case) Here goes:

SILVERSTONE CASE - £84
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-tj09s-silver...

Asus Sabertooth Z77 MOTHERBOARD - £180
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-sabertooth-z77-inte...

INTEL i7 3770K CPU - £250
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-3770k-s115...

SANDISK EXTREME 240GB SSD - £120
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-sandisk-extreme-25...

16GB of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - Not sure which type yet. (Possible upgrade to 32gb of RAM in future)

Graphics Card - I wont be buying straight away, but want the PSU to have enough power to handle a high end card. Such as a GeForce GTX 680/670/660. Not sure what I will get, but dont want to be limited by PSU.

PIONEER BLU-RAY WRITER - £60
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/pioneer-bdr-207dbk-blu-r...

Old parts I am considering adding to the new box - 1TB HDD Samsung Spinpoint F1, Sony DVD Writer, 7.1 Soundblaster Card, Card Reader Bay.

I am a graphic design graduate and will be using the machine for alot of graphic design and would like to be open to explore 3D software, video editing etc etc. I would use the machine for alot more than general use.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help, and I can answer any additional questions that might help me.



Ok, according to extreme power supply website http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine" target="_blank"> which I trust and according to your spec. you will require a 575 watts PSU minimum. Personally I like to round at the next quarter in these cases which round it up to 600 watts and I know the PSU will purr like a cat.

Note: with a 600 watts, I do not think you will be able to SLI because you are using one of the latest GPU.
The PSU I would propose you is a 600 watts. What I like about it is the semi-modular setup which mean you can keep unpluged extra cord that do not have purpose in your case. The second fact I like is the amperage. It is a single rail with 12Volts on 50 amps, so really, the PSU will purr.

Pros: Semi modular. 50 amps on 12 volts, it is bronze. It costs 59$. it has a promotion code on top of it.

Bad con: it has a 2 year warranty only and I do not know this brand much but according to newegg reviewers, it has some long term users which sounds promising.

It can be found at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 9, 2012 9:13:39 PM

Using a PSU calc is not the least more reliable than actual benchmarks, which I have provided...
September 9, 2012 9:18:48 PM

kcsmacker said:
Seasonic or Corsair 750-850 watt psu would be my recommendation. You get the best out of the psu when your system uses about 60-75% of your PSU. I would recommend a 850 because after you get 1 680 or 670 for example you may in the future want to get another. Also if you look ahead to your next build it may for all you know require a lot more power.( generations of CPU/GPUs are known to change in wattage usage. look at the difference between 570-670 etc) If you get a good brand of PSU you could carry it on into the your next build if not the one after that as well. Good luck.


Thanks for this post mate.

You seem to know what you are talking about and I was looking in the region of what you recommended.

Noticed in your sig that you have a relatively similar spec to what im going to be building. A 1200 PSU though, is that just because you SLI and for future ?
September 9, 2012 9:29:24 PM

Corsair TX 750 v2, which is what I bought for my i5 system. 5yr warranty built to last. You also don't need an i7 or an expensive Z77 board for gaming. Rendering yes, but not gaming.
September 9, 2012 11:47:34 PM

What is your budget?
September 10, 2012 12:10:19 AM

You are wasting $ on such a PSU if all you're doing is computing and video editing.
September 10, 2012 12:11:28 AM

Am going to go with the Corsair HX850 or the Corsair AX850.

Will be buying everything this week, wish me luck.
!