Linksys WRT54G2 Not getting an IP

Inarus06

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hello,

I bought a used WRT54G2 today at a garage sale (I know, not the best place to do so) but for $10 it was worth the risk.

I plugged up the router for the first time and after connecting to it, Windows asked for a "Pin" number from the router and then (apparently) did an automatic setup of the router.

Everything seemed to be working fine. My computer was getting both a wired AND wireless IP from the router (not connected at the same time) and I was accessing the router's admin pages with out any issues.

The problem is that when I hook the router to an actual internet source the router does not get an IP address from either another router (set to a different default IP) or an actual modem. I've tried several different setups and seem to have no luck.

I did a soft reset from the router page, no joy. Hard reset with the button on the back and still no joy. Nothing online that I can find about this, either through forums or Linksys.

Any ideas?

Inarus06

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Other router was a linksys.

I'm just trying to get the router set up and working.

The router was not getting an IP when I attached it to the modem directly, ignoring all the other items on my network.

I also want to add the router is v1.3, with the most up to date firmware from Linksys (Version 1.3, build 28 released December 2008).