substitue for a windows programs

I was wondering if any one knows of a free program that does the same thing
as the "scanner & camera wizard" that microsoft offers in XP?? I suppose I
can use the one on the CD that came with my camera- But I dont like that
one.
I want to be able to plug my camera by USB to the PC and have the pictures
downloaded right away-
See, I was using the "scanner & camera wizard" that came with my pc (win
XP) & have tried to get it to recognise my camera as it USED to do before,
but it stopped.I have tried doing some troubleshooting. hope you can
help-thanks

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
7 answers Last reply

    Strange ;-)

    If I connect my camera via USB, then the card in the camera is recognised as
    an external drive, which you can open in Windows Explorer and transfrer data
    to your hearts content.

    Does that not happen with you?
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    Marcy wrote:
    > I was wondering if any one knows of a free program that does the same
    > thing as the "scanner & camera wizard" that microsoft offers in XP??
    > I suppose I can use the one on the CD that came with my camera- But I
    > dont like that one.
    > I want to be able to plug my camera by USB to the PC and have the
    > pictures downloaded right away-
    > See, I was using the "scanner & camera wizard" that came with my pc
    > (win XP) & have tried to get it to recognise my camera as it USED to
    > do before, but it stopped.I have tried doing some troubleshooting.
    > hope you can help-thanks
    >
    > --
    > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

    Marcy,
    "See, I was using the "scanner & camera wizard" that came with my pc
    (win
    XP) & have tried to get it to recognise my camera as it USED to do
    before,
    but it stopped.I have tried doing some troubleshooting. hope you can
    help-thanks"

    Lot's of posts point to Real Player 10 as being the culprit. If you
    have this installed, uninstall Real Player 10, and the scanner & camera
    wizard should return.

    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Treeman: I ran across the same info as you, that RealPlayer Ten was the
    culprit. I uninstalled it and cleaned out the registry. Still no joy.

    Tom
    "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k8@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    | Marcy,
    | "See, I was using the "scanner & camera wizard" that came with my pc
    | (win
    | XP) & have tried to get it to recognise my camera as it USED to do
    | before,
    | but it stopped.I have tried doing some troubleshooting. hope you can
    | help-thanks"
    |
    | Lot's of posts point to Real Player 10 as being the culprit. If you
    | have this installed, uninstall Real Player 10, and the scanner & camera
    | wizard should return.
    |
    | Best,
    | Treeman
    |

    | --
    | Treeman

    | Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
    | View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870948548

    TO Trevor & Treeman=
    To Trevor= yes, if I plug in my camera to the pc by USB, nothing pops up in
    my screen. I have to go into My computor>then look for the removable drive
    (H) and click there> then click on DCIM>then 100media. There, I can see my
    pictures & move, copy, etc. But, I DONT want to have to do that knowing that
    I can have the scanner & camera wizard automatically detect that I plugged
    in the camera, and starts the process all its own without initiating
    anything.

    To Treeman = Yes, I recently upgraded to realplayer 10 and know that it has
    been the culprit for many. BUT, this problem was happening before the
    upgrade to realplayer 10. I actually noticed it after I had NO activity
    using the camera for 2 months. PLEASE note: I have never gotten the scanner
    wizard thing to work at my home pc. I have realplayer version 2 there. If I
    can ever get this going again, I will try the one at home.
    I understand that you said to install real player 10 to perhaps fix the
    problem. If I were to try that anyways, will I ever be able to get the
    program back. or maybe a different version?
    thanks for all your suggestions. ANy other advise??

    --
    Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
    "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k8@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Marcy,
    > "See, I was using the "scanner & camera wizard" that came with my pc
    > (win
    > XP) & have tried to get it to recognise my camera as it USED to do
    > before,
    > but it stopped.I have tried doing some troubleshooting. hope you can
    > help-thanks"
    >
    > Lot's of posts point to Real Player 10 as being the culprit. If you
    > have this installed, uninstall Real Player 10, and the scanner & camera
    > wizard should return.
    >
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    This is what I found out from Ye Ol' Internet;
    The Wizard is designed to work with WIA based imaging drivers. Your
    camera may be designed with TWAIN technology.

    Go into Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services and find the
    service titled "Windows Image Acquisition" service. If that program had
    disabled this service, restart it and set it to "Automatic." You need
    this service enabled to use WIA enabled software. (Wizard)

    Some cameras require WIA or TWAIN drivers to be installed for the
    computer to detect the camera. Reinstall the drivers according the
    manufacturer's instructions. Updated drivers may be available from the
    manufacturer's website.

    Camera Recognition in Windows XP
    If you use a digital camera or a web cam chances are good it will be
    recognized and functional in XP without using any of the software or
    drivers that ship with the camera. Simply connect it to an open USB
    connecter and allow it to be recognized and configured automatically.
    XP ships with the Scanner and Camera Wizard to walk you through the
    process of downloading photos into XP.
    _Install_your_device_software_only_if_it_provides_any_functionality_unique_to_your_hardware._

    The scanner and camera wizard is part of windows. You find it in the
    start menu/all programs/accessories, or by typing, Start/Run,
    wiaacmgr.exe

    'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/stus)

    Digital Camera transfer of photo images to Windows XP may become
    impossible if after installing RealPlayer, the connection of the camera
    to the computer and the power on of the camera does not result in XP
    starting its image transfer programs.

    I seem to have found the answer. If the camera appears as a removable
    storage device in My Computer, right click on it and click on autoplay,
    then
    choose options accordingly. I have found that the option occasionally
    disappears of its own accord, being part of XP, but this method should
    bring
    it back again.

    Well Marcy, that's all I've got! You didn't mention make/model of
    camera. In the camera users manual/specifications, it should state what
    type of drivers it uses WIA or Twain, or both!
    rights. Check with your dealer, your mileage may vary, see store for
    details!

    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    thanks treeman ! ! I downloaded that autofix on the link that you supplied
    and applied the fix to the necessary removable drive (H) and guess what. it
    worked like a charm- I took a few pictures, plugged in the camera, and the
    wizard started its thing. Fantastic ! ! thanks for the tips, so much !

    --
    "Treeman" <Treeman.1t68od@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > This is what I found out from Ye Ol' Internet;
    > The Wizard is designed to work with WIA based imaging drivers. Your
    > camera may be designed with TWAIN technology.
    >
    > Go into Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services and find the
    > service titled "Windows Image Acquisition" service. If that program had
    > disabled this service, restart it and set it to "Automatic." You need
    > this service enabled to use WIA enabled software. (Wizard)
    >
    > Some cameras require WIA or TWAIN drivers to be installed for the
    > computer to detect the camera. Reinstall the drivers according the
    > manufacturer's instructions. Updated drivers may be available from the
    > manufacturer's website.
    >
    > Camera Recognition in Windows XP
    > If you use a digital camera or a web cam chances are good it will be
    > recognized and functional in XP without using any of the software or
    > drivers that ship with the camera. Simply connect it to an open USB
    > connecter and allow it to be recognized and configured automatically.
    > XP ships with the Scanner and Camera Wizard to walk you through the
    > process of downloading photos into XP.

    _Install_your_device_software_only_if_it_provides_any_functionality_unique_t
    o_your_hardware._

    > The scanner and camera wizard is part of windows. You find it in the
    > start menu/all programs/accessories, or by typing, Start/Run,
    > wiaacmgr.exe
    >
    > 'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/stus)
    >
    > Digital Camera transfer of photo images to Windows XP may become
    > impossible if after installing RealPlayer, the connection of the camera
    > to the computer and the power on of the camera does not result in XP
    > starting its image transfer programs.
    >
    > I seem to have found the answer. If the camera appears as a removable
    > storage device in My Computer, right click on it and click on autoplay,
    > then
    > choose options accordingly. I have found that the option occasionally
    > disappears of its own accord, being part of XP, but this method should
    > bring
    > it back again.
    >
    > Well Marcy, that's all I've got! You didn't mention make/model of
    > camera. In the camera users manual/specifications, it should state what
    > type of drivers it uses WIA or Twain, or both!
    > rights. Check with your dealer, your mileage may vary, see store for
    > details!
    >
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Marcy,
    Glad to here auto-fix worked for you. Sometimes a 1 in 8 ratio isn't
    the best record for posted fixes. Each computer and user problems are
    different.
    That's why I gave you the shotgun approach, glad you were savvy enough
    to find something that worked for you.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

Configuration Windows XP Cameras Scanners Customization Microsoft