Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time building PC. Please advise

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2012 10:23:02 PM

Hello
I need a new PC, this is my own list of parts for a Gaming/photoshop workstation.
However there are some things i may have over looked. like compatibility issues, Bottlenecking or Risk factors If you have any suggestions let me know.

Spoiler
Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 1.5 Mouths
Budget Range: £1000 - £1200 After Shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Photoshop, internet use
Buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.cclonline.com, www.ebuyer.com, www.amazon.co.uk,
Location: UK, Brighton & Hove
Parts Preferences: Cpu & Motherboard - intell, Gpu - Envidia, Fans - Blue LED
Overclocking: Maybe - Help me
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1024x768 - 1280x1024



Spoiler

Cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K - £185

Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100 - £82

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB Wifi - £177

Gpu: KFA2 GeForce GTX 660TI - £250 Or
MSI GTX 660 Ti - £251

Memory: Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - £165 Or
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB x2 in RAID 0 - £162

Ram:Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16GB (4x4) - £71 Or
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16GB (2x8)- £78

Psu: XFX Core Edition PRO750W - £74

Case: Coolermaster Haf XM - £100

Fan Controller: Aerocool LCD Touch Screen PC 4 Fan Controller - £39

Card Reader: Akasa USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Memory Card Reader - £15


the things i need the most help on are the Or parts.
is RAID 0 with SSD worth it?
im total lost with GPUs, Ram choice and PSUs too
i will if case fan slots but whats the best 140mm/120mm fans to use

Additional Comments: I would prefer to have: A Blue Rig - LEDs, PCBs ect. And A case window

Why Am I Buying: i use a 3 year old £300 laptop at the moment. it just doesn't cut it. :( 

More about : time building advise

September 9, 2012 10:43:04 PM

A few things you're doing wrong here.

The CPU choice is very good. However, the Corsair H100 is not the right CPU cooler for a person who doesn't know much about overclocking. I'd advise you to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. This is the best CPU cooler for people who will be doing low-medium overclocks, like overclocking your 3570K to 4,2-4,5GHz.

You're spending way too much on the motherboard, (unless there are some features you really need on it. If you are desperate after Wi-Fi, I would suggest getting a separate card for this instead of getting it with the motherboard.

You have listed two SSDs, and zero HDDs. You want one of each for a budget like this. You will not benefit from putting movies, images, music (and games, for that matter) on your SSD. These should be on your HDD. A HDD will give you a lot more space for the money. And no, SSDs doesn't really benefit from being in RAID.

For the GPU, I would look into something like a Radeon 7970 or nvidia GTX 670.

For the RAM: if you do much and heavy photoshopping, I'd look for 16GB RAM. If you only do some light photoshopping, 8GB should be enough.

Drop fan controllers and those sorts of things.

I'll try to put together a build for you.
September 9, 2012 10:49:04 PM

^ +1

My 2 cents -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler (£36.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.80 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£247.61 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.99 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£12.58 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1043.31
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 23:47 BST+0100)

SSD in RAID 0 may come with a few issues; one of them being the lack of TRIM which will degrade your performance severely over time. It's better to look at just one SSD, and that's often times more than enough for an average user. RAID 0 won't benefit your performance for day-to-day use as well.
Related resources
September 9, 2012 10:52:10 PM

For light and not-so-often photoshopping:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.63 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£117.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£36.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.23 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£317.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case (£145.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1051.22
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 23:49 BST+0100)

For heavy and more-often-photoshopping

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£117.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£72.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.23 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£317.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case (£145.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1165.53
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 23:50 BST+0100)

Difference is CPU and RAM.

I'd try to get my hands on a 1920x1080 monitor as well. 1280x1024 is very outdated by now, and is simply a too low resolution for a powerful build like this. If you can't exceed your 1200£, I'd go for the first build I posted and get a 1080p monitor instead of a 3770K and 16GB of RAM.
September 9, 2012 10:57:58 PM

nafoni said:
I'll try to put together a build for you.

Thankyou very much :) 
i think im going to follow everything you said:
h100 is out, up my GPU, get hdd and no RAID 0

i posted this twice by mistake and another person said sort of the same thing
but the looks do matter to me slightly like the ram but only slightly

the photoshopping is light but i would like to spend at least £1000 on this system

as for ud5h, i have no idea about wifi cards so a board that come with it makes it easier.
and i'll learn more then upgrade later, having this mobo now save upping it later, but i maybe wrong thinkign thats how things work

thanks again, good help
September 9, 2012 11:16:15 PM

mocchan said:
^ +1

My 2 cents -

:) 
much apricated, your thoughts have help me
the RAID, GPU, SSD, RAM,cooler need changing from my initial thoughts
odly i like the ud5h, i'll look at the asrock. it may not be the best choice. i think it may be the without any white

and i've been told to get a HDD alot too
thanks
September 9, 2012 11:26:38 PM

mocchan said:
^ +1

My 2 cents -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler (£36.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.80 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£247.61 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.99 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£12.58 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1043.31
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-09 23:47 BST+0100)

SSD in RAID 0 may come with a few issues; one of them being the lack of TRIM which will degrade your performance severely over time. It's better to look at just one SSD, and that's often times more than enough for an average user. RAID 0 won't benefit your performance for day-to-day use as well.

I mostly like this build, except for two things. Get a WD Black HDD instead of the Samsung Spinpoint. You'll get a five year warranty instead of the Spinpoint's miserable one year. Second, Kepler GPUs have crippled Compute performance. If your Photoshop or other editing software does any GPGPU processing (CUDA on nVidia or Stream on AMD) then get either a Fermi if nVidia (e.g. GTX570) or a HD7870 if AMD.
September 9, 2012 11:44:59 PM

Onus said:
I mostly like this build, except for two things. Get a WD Black HDD instead of the Samsung Spinpoint. You'll get a five year warranty instead of the Spinpoint's miserable one year. Second, Kepler GPUs have crippled Compute performance. If your Photoshop or other editing software does any GPGPU processing (CUDA on nVidia or Stream on AMD) then get either a Fermi if nVidia (e.g. GTX570) or a HD7870 if AMD.

Great recommendations. I chose the Samsung drive to spare some money, however, considering the WD Blacks are only a few more $$$, this is a fair compromise for 4 years extra warranty.

Great info about GPU acceleration as well.
September 9, 2012 11:50:55 PM

mocchan said:
Great recommendations. I chose the Samsung drive to spare some money, however, considering the WD Blacks are only a few more $$$, this is a fair compromise for 4 years extra warranty.

Great info about GPU acceleration as well.


Explain about the GPU i didn't quite understand "Kepler GPUs have crippled Compute performance."
sorry to be repugnant
September 10, 2012 12:10:23 AM

Photoshop is not considered in Compute performance.
September 10, 2012 4:33:22 AM

Some software is able to use the GPU to process certain kinds of tasks. I don't remember the details, but whereas each "block" in a Fermi GPU can run this kind of computation, only one block in Kepler is able to do this. I believe the GTX670 review here (and elsewhere) covers this.
!