Sign in with
Your question

The Craigslist Build

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2012 10:33:19 PM

So in the past month and a half, I have searched, purchased and built what I like to call "The Craigslist Build". I was able to purchase parts in the span of a month and a half at severely discounted prices.

Do not buy with Paypal on craigslist, nor offer unless they are verified paypal members and have a good back-story. All done in the United States of America.

Be careful with dealing on craigslist, it can be dangerous.

=====

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 MOTHERBOARD: $180.00 USD (Covered still under warranty and transferred to my name 6+ months)

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge : $210.00 USD (Talked individual down from 250.00) (Covered still under warranty and transferred to my name 6+ months)

800W Bronze 80 Cert Corsair PSU: $100.00 USD (Talked individual down from 125.00)

1 TB 7200 RPM WD Black with 64mb Cache SATA 6GB/S: $55.00 USD (talked individual down from 100) (Covered still under warranty and transferred to my name)

16GB Corsair Vengence 1866mhz: $65.00 USD (Hardest to find on local craigslist - Ordered from someone in another town 55.00 + 10.00 shipping)

Corsair White 600T and LG Blu-ray burner w/3D playback $155.00 USD (Still had plastic on the front so new)

nVIDIA (ASUS) GTX 690 4GB : $675.00 USD (Talked individual down from $775.00) (Covered still under warranty and transferred to my name 11+ months)

Corsair H80: $70.00 USD (Covered still under warranty and transferred to my name 9+ months)

Gas for all : 75-80.00

Total amount paid for "The Craigslist Build" : $1590.00 USD
Total amount if paid for on newegg? = $2294.00 USD not including shipping.

Over span of 45 - 50 days : What do you all think?

Patience pays off.

More about : craigslist build

a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 10:39:39 PM

Nice. I find craigslist to be too sketchy for my taste, but I have bought and sold on tom's with great success. You should do a follow up in a few months and let us know if everything is still working flawlessly.
September 9, 2012 10:50:14 PM

I wouldn't trust someone else's parts, warranty or no. Too many potential problems. Not to mention that build is overkill and a brand new boxed newegg 1000 build would have been sufficient.
Related resources
September 9, 2012 10:59:00 PM

So far, running flawlessly in the past week. Ran it through some Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3, converted and rendering raw footage without a hitch. The parts I worried about, such as the video card and such, work great, very clean and most of all, warranty is in my name, so any problems, I get them replaced. :) 

How would it be over kill? Purchasing a new egg build would of ran me 1000.00 over, and most builds do not have what "I" wanted and "I" never did mention what my intent was in the build till now. I picked the parts I wanted, not just chose anything. I did research before contacting the individual.

Sorry if it seems I snapped there lol. No anger ment towards anyone.
September 9, 2012 11:01:30 PM

crewton said:
Nice. I find craigslist to be too sketchy for my taste, but I have bought and sold on tom's with great success. You should do a follow up in a few months and let us know if everything is still working flawlessly.

I Thought about toms for a bit, but I wanted a Craigslist build. Craigslist is scary tho, I took the right precautions, and i have my CCL just incase the worst ever was to happen and I might get held up.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 11:10:20 PM

Not too bad, you saved a lot of money. However, it's not to my taste as I find it a little sketchy from time to time :lol: 
September 9, 2012 11:30:37 PM

MarineGrunt said:
So far, running flawlessly in the past week. Ran it through some Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3, converted and rendering raw footage without a hitch. The parts I worried about, such as the video card and such, work great, very clean and most of all, warranty is in my name, so any problems, I get them replaced. :) 

How would it be over kill? Purchasing a new egg build would of ran me 1000.00 over, and most builds do not have what "I" wanted and "I" never did mention what my intent was in the build till now. I picked the parts I wanted, not just chose anything. I did research before contacting the individual.

Sorry if it seems I snapped there lol. No anger ment towards anyone.

You can build an editing box for around 1000 from newegg. It isn't necessary to have a 690 for a start.
September 9, 2012 11:32:44 PM

Smeg45 said:
You can build an editing box for around 1000 from newegg. It isn't necessary to have a 690 for a start.

Why not? Why not get it? This is only 500 over the "newegg box" if its overkill, then its overkill, still beats shucking out 1000.00 for just a video card
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 11:34:28 PM

It isn't necessary to have a 690 from the start, however, if someone chooses to use one in their rig, I wouldn't really complain and moan saying they could have built something else for cheaper :sarcastic: 

OP may have purchased it due to bragging rights, or he may have just purchased it so he could have some peace-of-mind performance wise over the next few years. Either way, he saved a lot of money for the hardware he purchased, and if they all work as they should, why complain?
September 9, 2012 11:45:38 PM

mocchan said:
It isn't necessary to have a 690 from the start, however, if someone chooses to use one in their rig, I wouldn't really complain and moan saying they could have built something else for cheaper :sarcastic: 

OP may have purchased it due to bragging rights, or he may have just purchased it so he could have some peace-of-mind performance wise over the next few years. Either way, he saved a lot of money for the hardware he purchased, and if they all work as they should, why complain?

Thank you, and to Smeg45, I do not mean to sound angry, I truly am not. Wording today with me is just bad. lol ! I see your point and I also see what Mocchan said, its a mixture of both, I am building a system for now, and would love to have it last for a long while, thats why i was stickler on finding the 690. I could have and had the money to buy from newegg, but I challenged myself, it was a personal challenge and a quest just to find what I was wanting. I love puzzles and thats just what this was. TREASURE HUNTIN lol....and bragging rights.
September 9, 2012 11:51:05 PM

I don't get why people are ragging on him and saying that he doesn't need all that, and that everything is overkill. If anything, I applaud him for getting such good deals. You guys don't even know what he's doing with it, I doubt that any of you could build a build as powerful for the same price... I guess you guys just want to rain on his parade. Seriously, grow up.
September 10, 2012 12:01:01 AM

theLiminator said:
I don't get why people are ragging on him and saying that he doesn't need all that, and that everything is overkill. If anything, I applaud him for getting such good deals. You guys don't even know what he's doing with it, I doubt that any of you could build a build as powerful for the same price... I guess you guys just want to rain on his parade. Seriously, grow up.

Actually Rain on it, the drought is killing our farm, we had to sell half the livestock. So maybe they are trying to help me ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2012 12:32:20 AM

MarineGrunt said:
Thank you, and to Smeg45, I do not mean to sound angry, I truly am not. Wording today with me is just bad. lol ! I see your point and I also see what Mocchan said, its a mixture of both, I am building a system for now, and would love to have it last for a long while, thats why i was stickler on finding the 690. I could have and had the money to buy from newegg, but I challenged myself, it was a personal challenge and a quest just to find what I was wanting. I love puzzles and thats just what this was. TREASURE HUNTIN lol....and bragging rights.

:lol:  Treasure Hunting...great way to put it!
September 10, 2012 6:09:51 AM

mocchan said:
:lol:  Treasure Hunting...great way to put it!

Thats pretty much how it was.
!