AMD fx 8350 terrible. which i7 should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseSaysmore

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I recently had a computer store install a 990 gigabyte am3+ socket mobo and a hexacore 8350 dc. The fx runs hot. Stock fan barely trudges along. And the stability in programs is depressing.
Lucky for me, the store is willing to exchange for me. Now I was looking at 300 to 400 dollar range Intel CPUs.
I was thinking an i7 3770? Not wholly sure. This is for gaming. I have corsair vengeance ram at 1600 MHz. I can replace the mobo as well, pref not expensive. Really between 120 and 140..

So any help here would be great. I believe they have a 3.5ghz i7 unlocked, I think It's only 340..
Thanks guys :)

Other specs.
Standard case, large side fan.
1600mhz 16gb corsair vengeance ram 4gbx4
Sapphire 7850 hd Radeon 2gb (have the oc at 1200 core 1240 mem.)
750w antec power supply bronze.
Gigabyte 990 dual uef bios, /amd3+ Intel socket

mohit_king

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
amd bulldozer is a real dissapointment.................... try getting an core i5 3570 and a good motherboard...........it is the best cpu in the market for the gaming.......core i7 is costly and there is not a major difference in gaming perfomance....it's power efficient (ivy bridge)......got support for the pci3 slot and you can also overclock it to 3.8(base clock is 3.4)...................i will also leave you a chart by toms hardware forum

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

JesseSaysmore

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

So the I5 has pcie3 support? Thanks by the way

JesseSaysmore

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Thank you friends. I think I've decided on an I5 3770k, my last question would be. After doing the comparison between the I5 and 7 it seemed there was no difference, except 100 dollars. What would be the advantage of copping an i7 over an i5 in terms of gaming/long term functionality

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Disappointment to who? The consensus seems to be it was a nice step forward over bulldozer. Did you read the article about the 8350 posted today on Tom's?

To the OP - The fx runs hot. Stock fan barely trudges along. And the stability in programs is depressing.

1. Invest in a $30 aftermarket cooler - problem solved 2. What stability issues? Depressing? I'm guessing your stability problems have zero to do with your processor or MB. If so, there isn't a design flew causing problems. There may be a problem with your specific units or drivers installed by the retailer, again not a inherent or reported issue with these products.

Investing an addition $100-$200 in CPU is typically going to result in additional performance. Your 8350 is a fine product and a more expensive i5 or i7 will be a superior product. I'd venture to guess that if you invested a bit of time correcting the issues you have with you existing setup, you'd be more than happy with the performance.

If you don't overclock, the i7 has .1 more GHz in it's label? :p

Oh, and another advantage is you get to deal with the possibility of hyperthreading slowing down your framerates while gaming!

(The only difference between the i5 and the i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading; since games don't use hyperthreading, it's a waste of money.)

But like other people have said...

1) PCIe 3.0 support doesn't even matter - there's no card out there right now that can bottleneck a PCIe 2.0 x16 lane.

2) Aside from the fact that AMD of all sorts runs hot, the other issues are most likely coming from other places. This means that it's SERIOUSLY worth looking there first. Even if you spend $30 for an aftermarket cooler and decide to switch CPUs still, you can use that cooler on an i5, too.

JesseSaysmore

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Well can you recommend a good after market for a standard case? I'm thinking ill do the i5 regardless. The after market cooler sounds useful though

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The key difference between the Intel Core i7 3770 to the i5 3570 is hyper threading. The 3770 has hyper threading and the 3570 doesn't. In gaming hyper threading makes no difference now or the foreseeable future. Since only a handful of CPUs have hyper threading (core i7 family) it makes little sense to code games to benefit from it. I'd save yourself the $100 and go with the i5 unless you're planning on doing Photoshop, a Cad program, or something else that does benefit from hyper threading.

mohit_king

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

first of all if you have not used it then dont defend it amd processor lagsway behind the event new core i3 third generation the cores are not going to do any good in the gaming.....and he's already facing a problem with the heat all the amd processor uses almost double power then the intel....architecture has a huge flaw in itself they designed these processors for gaming yet the core i3 3220 makes level with amd 8350 in the benchmarks..................amd phenom series would even defeat the fx series which consumes less power.......check benchmarks from toms hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Mohit: You are a deranged fanboy, please just get out of here

OP: There's nothing wrong with an 8350, just put an aftermarket cooler on it if you're so bothered. Otherwise if you're stubborn enough to make a jump to a new motherboard and CPU for an extra who knows how much dollars then so be it.

I just hope you don't cry when you realise that you've just paid 300+ dollars for performance difference you can't even notice.

Enjoy

1} AMD stock fans proven to be around 5 degrees cooler than Intel's stock fans, dunno what you mean by trudge along, where you trying to push 5ghz off it?

2} If you want to go and blow money yeah a i7 3770k is a good option, or how about a i7 3930X on a nice $350 X79 platform with $120 RAM kits and rapidly deminishing returns.

Gigabyte 990 dual uef bios, /amd3+ Intel socket

Explain that part to me as I am confused. On second thoughts explain your whole first paragraph seems like a fanboi rambling.

1} What temps?
2} Explain the instability?
3} Are you running an oc'd state?
4} what Gigabyte board?

1] Troll
2] It's "AMD" not amd, see I can troll too
3] Its not a Bulldozer and Bulldozer is incorrect in the context used, Bulldozer refers to the modulation architecture with Zambezi and Vishera being based on that architecture. What you should have said was Zambezi, but that would have been wrong as he is using a Vishera part.

4] You are rumbling off what you see and think is cool, doing what every Intel fanboitjie does to justify spending on Intel but the real newsflash is the OP either had a bad batch or motherboard issue or is just a noob, I know this by this part "The fx runs hot. Stock fan barely trudges along" well yeah it would run hotter with a stock fan say compared to a 3rd party cooler. Anyways all to our own.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Multithreaded apps (video rendering,3d modeling and then FUTURE GAMES THAT USE MORE THAN 4 CORES) i would have gotten the 3570k but i went with the 3820 due to i want to keep this cpu for another 3-4 years (games will use more than 4 cores so i can not have to upgrade as soon) and i do alot of video editing so the extra threads REALLY speed up the process!

Echo, when referring to a consumer level i7, he's perfectly correct - they're a waste of money as compared to an i5.

As for future games that use more than 4 cores, most gamers still use a dual-core... it's going to take a while before a 3570k isn't still powerful - certainly more than 4 years. (But yeah, for video editing there's nothing like an i7.)

JesseSaysmore

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Well my wording may have been off I suppose, the AMD I'm sure is fine. I got a broken one. ts already been replaced with a post market cooler and an i5. I'm much happier much quieter and better performance. It costed a total of 70 dollars more.
Thanks to those who helped

Status
Not open for further replies.