>$1100 build for telecommuting - i5-3570K or i7-3770K?

doghouse1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hello everyone

With some help of the reviews and forums I have put together a potential build. I will be running a fairly sparse machine at the beginning so was wondering if the i7-3770K is worth the $100 premium over the i5-3570K for my setup. I would appreciate any insight in to the relative values of these CPUs given the other components and what the computer will be used for. (Any advice on the other parts is also appreciated)

Computer for Telecommuting- mainly Office, cloud file sharing, some Adobe CS, multitasking. Tons of internet but only some video streaming/movie watching

Using an LG 23.5 monitor at 1920 x 1200
Current Computer is a slightly upgraded ten year old Dell with a P4 using XP

Parts Common to both builds:

Phantom 410
NZXT 650W M PSU,
8 GB Skills Ripjaws (2x4 at 1600)
Spent: $230 (purchased previously)

OCZ Vertex 4 64 GB SSD $65
Samsung 830 128 GB SSD $100
Asus DRW-24B1ST $22
Subtotal: $187

Standard
i5-3570K $205
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H $87
Subtotal: $292

Premium
i7-3770K $312
ASRock Extreme 4 $92
Subtotal: $404
CPU/motherboards from Microcenter ($50 off combo)

Parts still needed:
Windows 7: $100
Wifi card or USB adapter: ~$50
Ergonomic keyboard/mouse ~$50
Cooler: future purchase

My goal was to spend under $1100 for a computer that would last many years and could be upgraded with a video card and additional RAM plus overclocking at a later date if necessary. I am not sure if I really need the i7 either now or in the future. I am not a gamer and will not be overclocking for the first few years so had not planned on purchasing a cooler at the moment. If you feel I should buy something like the 212 Evo from the start let me know.

All Advice Appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
It's mostly a question of software that can use the hyperthreading of the i7 processors. There isn't as much as you might think. One which certainly does is Adobe CS. There i7 will certainly speed up processes, and particularly helps with, say HD video editing. How much benefit i7 is, is a question of how much you are using those capabilities. Does a 40%, or so speed increase justify the cost. The only other area that really benefits from i7 is design/CAD type stuff.
Whether there's a huge benefit to overclocking for your uses is debatable. However, as it only incurs a relatively small component cost, it may be worth giving yourself the option, for the future. All you would have to add, would be a better cooler, as and when.

malbluff

Honorable
It's mostly a question of software that can use the hyperthreading of the i7 processors. There isn't as much as you might think. One which certainly does is Adobe CS. There i7 will certainly speed up processes, and particularly helps with, say HD video editing. How much benefit i7 is, is a question of how much you are using those capabilities. Does a 40%, or so speed increase justify the cost. The only other area that really benefits from i7 is design/CAD type stuff.
Whether there's a huge benefit to overclocking for your uses is debatable. However, as it only incurs a relatively small component cost, it may be worth giving yourself the option, for the future. All you would have to add, would be a better cooler, as and when.

Solution

doghouse1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks malbluff.

My CS use is pretty basic and much more amateur than professional - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign for promotional materials and reports. An increasing amount of my finished product is moving from hardcopy reports to being submitted as fillable PDFs or through web based modules.

My original plan was to buy the i5 since my last two systems were based on the midpoint intel process and served me long and well. Going with the i7 and overclocking was more to expand the life of the system and getting the best return for the money. Getting ten years out of that P4 Dell has probably warped my ideas of system longevity.

Perhaps better to go with the i5 now and plan on a new Skylake build in five years.

malbluff

Honorable
If you are planning to overclock, in the near future, it may be worth fitting a 212EVO, from the start. Less hassle, in changing later, plus, probably a bit quieter, in the meantime.
One small thought. If you can get one at a sensible price, perhaps in a bundle, it may be worth considering an Asus P8Z77-V Pro for motherboard. Nothing really WRONG with your choice, it will certainly do the job. The Asus is rock solid quality, and very user friendly, for business purposes. Worth a SMALL premium, in cost.

doghouse1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
malbluff

Everyone seems to love Asus for their reliability but it is almost
double the cost of the ASRock or Gigabyte boards at Microcenter.
I think I will add the 212 Evo at the start as you suggest.

spentshells

While the i3 3225 does have the HD4000 and would save me $60
on the CPU but it does not qualify for the $50 off combo like the i5/i7.
For $10 in total cost the i5 is the better deal. If I knew more about components and had built a system before I may have tried to construct a system to fit my needs at the lowest price point. I went with my max budget instead since there seems to be much more information/reviews/assistance
at that level of build. Hopefully this system will meet my needs well into the future.

Thanks

malbluff

Honorable
Usually, there's not a HUGE price premium on basic Asus boards, but if you are getting a good combo deal, it's probably not worth a change. As long as you appreciate there is no such thing as "future proofing", (you will always be overtaken by new technology), there's nothing wrong with building a bit of "slack", in the system, for likely future needs.

doghouse1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
malbluff thanks for all your help

I realize my system will be overtaken about the time I assemble it in terms of technology. I am thinking more along the lines of 'continuing to meet my needs.'