SB Audigy & VIA Chipsets - What's the Problem?

PXAbstraction

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Hey all! I'm wondering about this supposed incompatibility of the Sound Blaster Audigy and VIA chipsets. I have a VIA KX133 mainboard and ordered a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum earlier this week. About 15 minutes after I placed the order, I heard of this compatibility problem. However, no one has mentioned if it happens all the time, if it can be worked around and how severe the symptoms are. I have a Sound Blaster Live! which is supposed to have problems too though I have never experienced any.

Basically what I hope you guys can tell me is, does this problem happen all the time (i.e. is it guaranteed to happen to me) and if so, is there a workaround for it or is it a driver issue? My supplier will refund my purchase of the Audigy bu tonly if I don't open it first. So I want to know whether or not I should try to install it or just send it back right away because there's no point in trying. Can anyone help me out? Thanks everyone!

Parallax Abstraction,
Senior Rogers @Home Computer Technician
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, I don't think you will be affected like other people. The problem became serious after the release of the 686b southbridge which is not included with the KX133, I believe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

PXAbstraction

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
No, the 686B came out quite some time after the KX133. Here's a question though: I plan to buy a KT266A (note the A) mainboard when they come out in a month or so so that I can upgrade this bucket back to hotrod status. :) Those boards don't employ the 686B do they? I don't believe they do (I think the KT266A has a different southbridge), but does anyone know? If the KX133 isn't affected, I'll definitely throw the Audigy in here and see what happens.

Parallax Abstraction,
Senior Rogers @Home Computer Technician
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

FatBurger

Illustrious
The KT266a uses the 686c Southbridge.

I haven't heard of any problems with the Audigy. Got any links?

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>