I'll spell out the scenario.

I had a set of shortcuts on my desktop, each with a letter assigned as
shortcut key i.e, Ctl-Alt-x, where x is a letter.

These all worked fine, but then I decided, in order to save desktop space,
to move them all into a folder on the desktop named Shortcuts. Lo and
behold, the shortcut keys no longer worked. Opening the Shortcuts folder and
clicking on one worked O.K. (as expected).

My wife then found she didn't know where the shortcuts were (she probably
never knew the Ctl-Alt-x shortcuts anyway).
So I moved them all back to the desktop. However, the Ctl-Alt-x shortcuts
still don't work.

What is wrong and what do I have to do to fix it?

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:29:27 +1000, "Trevor L."
<tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote:

>I'll spell out the scenario.
>
>I had a set of shortcuts on my desktop, each with a letter assigned as
>shortcut key i.e, Ctl-Alt-x, where x is a letter.
>
>These all worked fine, but then I decided, in order to save desktop space,
>to move them all into a folder on the desktop named Shortcuts. Lo and
>behold, the shortcut keys no longer worked. Opening the Shortcuts folder and
>clicking on one worked O.K. (as expected).
>
>My wife then found she didn't know where the shortcuts were (she probably
>never knew the Ctl-Alt-x shortcuts anyway).
>So I moved them all back to the desktop. However, the Ctl-Alt-x shortcuts
>still don't work.
>
>What is wrong and what do I have to do to fix it?

Nobody seems to have answered you, so I'll put in my oar even though
your query is three weeks old. (I'm cc-ing you in e-mail in case
you've given up on the newsgroup.)

If you're still having the problem, I would guess that rebooting
would activate those shortcut keys for shortcuts you have on your
desktop.

If you don't want to clutter up your desktop, you can put all the
shortcuts in a folder under the Start Menu under All Users. Windows
will honor shortcut keys in shortcuts on the desktop and anywhere in
the Start Menu.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)