NiMHD batteries and rechargers

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 21, 2005 11:07:43 AM

I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:56:25 AM

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> ? "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> > I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> > some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> > which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> > little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> > Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?
> >
> Oh yeah, many people from the states mention that these maha chargers are
> good.It's no use to tell you what is mine, as I think only the greek battery
> and misc.chain of germanos (www.germanos.gr ) brings them, but just for
> history-4 separate channel orbit nicd charger-discharger with 4 AA sanyo
> nicd 700 mAh, 11 euros.

Here is my two cents worth... after buying a few chargers, and spending
lots of money on them.

First of all, you want a charger with a high amp rating. 2000 is good,
higher is better. Sony does have a 2500 amp rating. However, in the
U.S., the Sony is only a U.S. Voltage charger.

The other thing you want to look for is one that will do 110 to 240
voltage.

Walmart and sometimes some other stores (Shopko comes to mind) have a
no name brand that does the 2000 amps in a 1 hour charger for about
$20. I have seen a Maxell 1 hour charger with a 2300 amp rating for
about the same price with the 110 to 240 volt power supply.

If you travel - you want the 110-240 power supply. It will save you
money in the long run.

The higher the amp rating, the better your recycle time on your flash.
If you are using the internal flash on the camera this is important. I
only use the rechargables in an external flash. I notice the
difference between the 2000 amp batteries and the 2500 amp batteries.

roland
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:12:04 PM

piperut wrote:
> Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> > --
> > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> > major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> > FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> > ? "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> > > I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> > > some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> > > which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> > > little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> > > Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?
> > >
> > Oh yeah, many people from the states mention that these maha chargers are
> > good.It's no use to tell you what is mine, as I think only the greek battery
> > and misc.chain of germanos (www.germanos.gr ) brings them, but just for
> > history-4 separate channel orbit nicd charger-discharger with 4 AA sanyo
> > nicd 700 mAh, 11 euros.
>
> Here is my two cents worth... after buying a few chargers, and spending
> lots of money on them.
>
> First of all, you want a charger with a high amp rating. 2000 is good,
> higher is better. Sony does have a 2500 amp rating. However, in the
> U.S., the Sony is only a U.S. Voltage charger.
>
> The other thing you want to look for is one that will do 110 to 240
> voltage.
>
> Walmart and sometimes some other stores (Shopko comes to mind) have a
> no name brand that does the 2000 amps in a 1 hour charger for about
> $20. I have seen a Maxell 1 hour charger with a 2300 amp rating for
> about the same price with the 110 to 240 volt power supply.
>
> If you travel - you want the 110-240 power supply. It will save you
> money in the long run.
>
> The higher the amp rating, the better your recycle time on your flash.
> If you are using the internal flash on the camera this is important. I
> only use the rechargables in an external flash. I notice the
> difference between the 2000 amp batteries and the 2500 amp batteries.
>
> roland

Thanks for the info, Roland.
I'm a little confused by the last paragraph.
"I only use the rechargables in an external flash." I don't understand.
I doubt you mean you don't use the rechargeables in your camera. I
understand that the higher the output of the batteries, the faster it
will recycle, particularly when flash is being used. Do you mean that
you use rechargeable exclusively in the external flash?
In any case, I intend to use only the rechargeables in the camera,
unless I'm somehow caught without any or the ones I have with me fail.
Plan to carry spare rechargeables (selecting a case with room for
them), so I shouldn't ever have to use alkalines it it (famous last
words...). I won't have the external flash, at least not to start, so
it's moot.
"I notice the difference between the 2000 amp batteries and the 2500
amp batteries." Since the 2500's deliver 25% more power, I would think
so.
September 21, 2005 2:47:45 PM

SMS wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> > some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> > which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> > little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> > Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?
>
> See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/
>
> The Maha MH-C401FS is probably your best option.
>
> See: "http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy_internation..."
>
> You want to avoid chargers that can only charge at a very high rate, as
> this shortens the life of your batteries. Once in a while, charging at a
> very high rate is okay, but avoid it if possible.
>
> You want a charger that includes a 110/240V power supply, not a 110V only.
>
> You want a charger with four independent charging circuits, not one that
> requires charging in pairs.
>
> You want a charger that includes a 12V car cord, some chargers have this
> as an option, but for some, i.e. the La Crosse BC-900, no car cord is
> available, so you'd have to use an inverter to use it in a vehicle or on
> an airplane, which is a hassle.

Thanks to all of you for the great info.
Do the ones with the independent charging circuits eliminate the need
to keep the batteries in sets?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 3:46:19 PM

On 21 Sep 2005 07:56:25 -0700, piperut wrote:

> Here is my two cents worth... after buying a few chargers, and spending
> lots of money on them.
>
> First of all, you want a charger with a high amp rating. 2000 is good,
> higher is better. Sony does have a 2500 amp rating. However, in the
> U.S., the Sony is only a U.S. Voltage charger.
>
> The other thing you want to look for is one that will do 110 to 240
> voltage.

First, I'd say that it would be difficult to use one of those
chargers, as it would blow 15 and 20 amp fuses. :)  I'm sure that
you meant 2,000 and 2,500 ma ratings. But even here I wouldn't
necessarily agree that a high current, very fast charger is as
important as getting one with individual circuits for each AA cell.
Many of the newer cameras can go a day or more on one set of
batteries, so there isn't the same need to have a fast, hot charger
that can get a set of recharged batteries in your hands quickly. As
long as you have at least one extra set of batteries, even a 3 or 4
hour recharge time should be adequate for most people.

As for Sony only selling U.S.A. voltage chargers locally, perhaps
that's true for the 2.5 amp charger you mentioned, but one I bought
in the NY Sony Style almost a year ago (rated 2,010 ma, very close
to your 2,500ma) specifies an input of AC100 - 240V at 50/60Hz.
September 21, 2005 4:07:48 PM

salgud wrote:
> I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?

I don't have a Maha, but it is recognized as a good brand. The bets place to buy
batteries and chargers, IMHO, is thomasdistributing.com.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 6:40:41 PM

Dave Martindale wrote:
> "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> writes:
>
> >Thanks to all of you for the great info.
> >Do the ones with the independent charging circuits eliminate the need
> >to keep the batteries in sets?
>
> Ideally, you'd still keep the batteries in sets for use so they have
> similar capacities, and work well together as a "pack".
>
> But you no longer need to charge them as a set. It also means you can
> have "sets" that have just 1 cell, or 3, instead of always having to
> have groups of 2 or 4.
>
> There's on remaining gotcha: Some chargers with independent cell
> monitoring truly have 4 independent circuits, each with independent
> charge times and "charge done" indicators. You can mix any cells in any
> combination in these. Others have only one "charge done" indicator,
> which tells you only when all the cells are done. If you put in 3 cells
> that need only 15 minutes and 1 cell that needs 2 hours, you'll be
> waiting 2 hours for the first 3 cells as well.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:26:16 PM

salgud wrote:
> I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?

See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/

The Maha MH-C401FS is probably your best option.

See: "http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy_internation..."

You want to avoid chargers that can only charge at a very high rate, as
this shortens the life of your batteries. Once in a while, charging at a
very high rate is okay, but avoid it if possible.

You want a charger that includes a 110/240V power supply, not a 110V only.

You want a charger with four independent charging circuits, not one that
requires charging in pairs.

You want a charger that includes a 12V car cord, some chargers have this
as an option, but for some, i.e. the La Crosse BC-900, no car cord is
available, so you'd have to use an inverter to use it in a vehicle or on
an airplane, which is a hassle.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:24:15 PM

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?

Oh yeah, many people from the states mention that these maha chargers are
good.It's no use to tell you what is mine, as I think only the greek battery
and misc.chain of germanos (www.germanos.gr ) brings them, but just for
history-4 separate channel orbit nicd charger-discharger with 4 AA sanyo
nicd 700 mAh, 11 euros.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:40:00 AM

"salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> writes:

>Thanks to all of you for the great info.
>Do the ones with the independent charging circuits eliminate the need
>to keep the batteries in sets?

Ideally, you'd still keep the batteries in sets for use so they have
similar capacities, and work well together as a "pack".

But you no longer need to charge them as a set. It also means you can
have "sets" that have just 1 cell, or 3, instead of always having to
have groups of 2 or 4.

There's on remaining gotcha: Some chargers with independent cell
monitoring truly have 4 independent circuits, each with independent
charge times and "charge done" indicators. You can mix any cells in any
combination in these. Others have only one "charge done" indicator,
which tells you only when all the cells are done. If you put in 3 cells
that need only 15 minutes and 1 cell that needs 2 hours, you'll be
waiting 2 hours for the first 3 cells as well.

Dave
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 10:06:32 AM

salgud wrote:
> piperut wrote:
> > Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> > > --
> > > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> > > major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> > > FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> > > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> > > ? "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> > > >
> > > Oh yeah, many people from the states mention that these maha chargers are
> > > good.It's no use to tell you what is mine, as I think only the greek battery
> > > and misc.chain of germanos (www.germanos.gr ) brings them, but just for
> > > history-4 separate channel orbit nicd charger-discharger with 4 AA sanyo
> > > nicd 700 mAh, 11 euros.
> >
> > Here is my two cents worth... after buying a few chargers, and spending
> > lots of money on them.
> >
> > First of all, you want a charger with a high amp rating. 2000 is good,
> > higher is better. Sony does have a 2500 amp rating. However, in the
> > U.S., the Sony is only a U.S. Voltage charger.
> >
> > The other thing you want to look for is one that will do 110 to 240
> > voltage.
> >
> > Walmart and sometimes some other stores (Shopko comes to mind) have a
> > no name brand that does the 2000 amps in a 1 hour charger for about
> > $20. I have seen a Maxell 1 hour charger with a 2300 amp rating for
> > about the same price with the 110 to 240 volt power supply.
> >
> > If you travel - you want the 110-240 power supply. It will save you
> > money in the long run.
> >
> > The higher the amp rating, the better your recycle time on your flash.
> > If you are using the internal flash on the camera this is important. I
> > only use the rechargables in an external flash. I notice the
> > difference between the 2000 amp batteries and the 2500 amp batteries.
> >
> > roland
>
> Thanks for the info, Roland.
> I'm a little confused by the last paragraph.
> "I only use the rechargables in an external flash." I don't understand.
> I doubt you mean you don't use the rechargeables in your camera. I
> understand that the higher the output of the batteries, the faster it
> will recycle, particularly when flash is being used. Do you mean that
> you use rechargeable exclusively in the external flash?
> In any case, I intend to use only the rechargeables in the camera,
> unless I'm somehow caught without any or the ones I have with me fail.
> Plan to carry spare rechargeables (selecting a case with room for
> them), so I shouldn't ever have to use alkalines it it (famous last
> words...). I won't have the external flash, at least not to start, so
> it's moot.
> "I notice the difference between the 2000 amp batteries and the 2500
> amp batteries." Since the 2500's deliver 25% more power, I would think
> so.

I shouldn't have put it this way. The camera came with it's own
rechargeable battery, and charger. So I am only using the NiCads in
the Flash.

The digital cameras that use AA/AAA batteries sort of have a habit of
draining the poor things - esp if you use the built in flash very much.
Good plan to have spare batteries, or NiCads around. Or, if you can
find them.. .there are some rechargable alakaline batteries. I did use
those for a while. They did work better. However, the number of times
you could recharge them is not as great as the ni-cads. However, you
did not need to drain them completely to recharge them. Sort of a
trade off thing. They recycle in the flash a bit better then the
ni-cads. However, if they go dead and won't recharge and you are on
the road - you are hard pressed to find some replacements and are stuck
buying normal batteries. I ended up going to the ni-cads.

roland
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:22:53 AM

piperut wrote:
> [...]
> rechargeable battery, and charger. So I am only using the NiCads in
> the Flash.
>
> The digital cameras that use AA/AAA batteries sort of have a habit of
> draining the poor things - esp if you use the built in flash very much.
> Good plan to have spare batteries, or NiCads around. Or, if you can
> find them.. .there are some rechargable alakaline batteries. I did use
> those for a while. They did work better. However, the number of times
> you could recharge them is not as great as the ni-cads. However, you
> did not need to drain them completely to recharge them. Sort of a
> trade off thing. They recycle in the flash a bit better then the
> ni-cads. However, if they go dead and won't recharge and you are on
> the road - you are hard pressed to find some replacements and are stuck
> buying normal batteries. I ended up going to the ni-cads.

Thanks, Roland. I'm planning on going NiMH - don't want to deal with
the memory issues of NiCads. A smart NiCad charger will discharge them
before charging them, but why waste the time? The NiMH's last for more
cycles, hold a bigger charge, and don't have memory. Well worth the
difference in price to me.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:25:35 AM

Dave Martindale wrote:
> "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> writes:
>
> >Thanks to all of you for the great info.
> >Do the ones with the independent charging circuits eliminate the need
> >to keep the batteries in sets?
>
> Ideally, you'd still keep the batteries in sets for use so they have
> similar capacities, and work well together as a "pack".
>
> But you no longer need to charge them as a set. It also means you can
> have "sets" that have just 1 cell, or 3, instead of always having to
> have groups of 2 or 4.
>
> There's on remaining gotcha: Some chargers with independent cell
> monitoring truly have 4 independent circuits, each with independent
> charge times and "charge done" indicators. You can mix any cells in any
> combination in these. Others have only one "charge done" indicator,
> which tells you only when all the cells are done. If you put in 3 cells
> that need only 15 minutes and 1 cell that needs 2 hours, you'll be
> waiting 2 hours for the first 3 cells as well.
>
> Dave

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the Maha I'm looking at, and it has 4
charge lights. It's not cheap at $55 with 8 AA cells, but better than
the alternatives I've seen so far. And I'm not in a hurry, so I'll keep
my eye out for one of the "specials" they frequently run and maybe get
it a little cheaper.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:16:08 PM

"salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?

Expensive? Depends upon where you shop, I suppose: Last week at Costco, I
bought a 4-cell-capacity Duracell 30-minute quick charger which came with 4
AA's *and* 4 AAA's for $19.95. Since I use NiMH cells for my cameras, mp3
player and portable radio, the charger ensemble will pay for itself in terms
of the cost of alkaline cells in just a couple of weeks.

Before the Duracell charger, I used an Energizer 1-hour quick charger for
over two years without problems.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:09:26 PM

SMS wrote:
> Salgud wrote:
> > ...I'd like to know which smart chargers people have had good or bad
> > luck with. Those little boogers are expensive and I want them to last!
> > Any suggestions? Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's
> > Digicams website)?

Salgud, there was a recent discussion on chargers on this board.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U221568DB

> See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/ The Maha MH-C401FS is probably
> your best option. See:
> "http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy_internation..."

The Nordic Group may be an affiliatate or associate of Thomas Distributing.

> .....<snip>.....
> You want a charger that includes a 12V car cord, some chargers have
> this as an option, but for some, i.e. the La Crosse BC-900, no car cord
> is available, so you'd have to use an inverter to use it in a vehicle or
> on
> an airplane, which is a hassle.

Not true. http://www.digilution.co.uk/rs900.html
SMS, are you an affiliate or associate of Thomas Distributing?

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Paul H. wrote:
> "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote in message
> > I'm getting ready to buy a digital camera, Canon A520, and am getting
> > some AA NiMHD batteries and a recharger to go with it. I'd like to know
> > which smart chargers people have had good or bad luck with. Those
> > little boogers are expensive and I want them to last! Any suggestions?
> > Anyone hear of Maha (reccommended at Steve's Digicams website)?
>

> Expensive? Depends upon where you shop, I suppose: Last week at Costco, I
> bought a 4-cell-capacity Duracell 30-minute quick charger which came with 4
> AA's *and* 4 AAA's for $19.95. Since I use NiMH cells for my cameras, mp3
> player and portable radio, the charger ensemble will pay for itself in terms
> of the cost of alkaline cells in just a couple of weeks.
>
> Before the Duracell charger, I used an Energizer 1-hour quick charger for
> over two years without problems.

Expensive being a relative term. I can get AAs and AAAs for about $.60
each. The NiMH's will be around $2 each depending on quality and where
I shop. I've researched it, and they last longer given a slow charge.
Since they cost around 3 times what an alkaline costs, I'd like to
maximize their life. So I'm willing to pay more for better batteries
and a fancier charger. My payout will be longer than yours, probably,
but in the long term, I hope to realize a better return. Just a matter
of preference. In the end, hard to predict what the actual return will
be. Mine will certainly be longer than yours, I don't use that many
batteries.
Just curious. Do you have to charge your batteries in matched sets
using the Duracell charger?
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 4:59:14 PM

SMS wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
> > Expensive being a relative term. I can get AAs and AAAs for about $.60
> > each. The NiMH's will be around $2 each depending on quality and where
> > I shop.
>
> If you insist on buying the absolute highest capacity, then $2 is about
> right. But 2000mA to 2200mA AA cells are available for about $1. And the
> capacity differences are not linear, i.e. a 2500mAH cell lasts only
> about 15% longer that a 2000mAH cell, not 25% longer. If you're rotating
> a few sets of batteries anyway, then there's no real upside in the
> higher cost cells.
>
> I.e. search for "LENMAR PRO-1020" and you'll see the ten packs for
> around $11, though I've seen them for $10 locally at Fry's.

Great! Thanks for the information. Probably saved me a few bucks.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:42:38 PM

Lin Chung wrote:

> The Nordic Group may be an affiliatate or associate of Thomas Distributing.

Hardly.

I have affiliate accounts with Amazon, Adorama, and Bike Nashbar. I have
no association with Thomas Distributing, other than having bought stuff
from them. I don't even think that they have an affiliate program, but
I'll check it out now!
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:52:19 PM

salgud wrote:

> Expensive being a relative term. I can get AAs and AAAs for about $.60
> each. The NiMH's will be around $2 each depending on quality and where
> I shop.

If you insist on buying the absolute highest capacity, then $2 is about
right. But 2000mA to 2200mA AA cells are available for about $1. And the
capacity differences are not linear, i.e. a 2500mAH cell lasts only
about 15% longer that a 2000mAH cell, not 25% longer. If you're rotating
a few sets of batteries anyway, then there's no real upside in the
higher cost cells.

I.e. search for "LENMAR PRO-1020" and you'll see the ten packs for
around $11, though I've seen them for $10 locally at Fry's.
May 7, 2008 4:04:15 AM

Hi:

Interesting discussion,... I have sold Maha chargers and batteries
and can say for certain that they are good quality. I can also say
that I consider them to be overpriced. For the most part all of
these batteries are produced in the same factories in China, I
know this personally since we buy there, so whether the packaging
is fancy or plain, as far as the battery goes you are getting just
about the same thing as long as the mAH of the batteries are
similar. (Factories tend to fudge these as well). Chargers are
different, just about any slow charger will do a good job. Fast
chargers are more problematic as they have to have temperature
control circuitry, worse they tend to reduce the battery lifetime.

Chris
www.sterlingtek.com
!