Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First gaming PC build.

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2012 11:33:39 PM

I have put together a parts list for all the stuff I want to get for my gaming PC I am building soon. I just want a confirmation that all the stuff will fit together properly and work.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k (use included cooler for now)

Motherboard: p8z77-v deluxe

Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (buy one now then buy another later for 16gb, will this work?)

SSD: A-Data XPG SX900 SSD 256gb (No regular hard drive, is this a good idea?)

GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 classified (TWO in SLI)

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 black

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W (is this enough if I overclock?)

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM

Sound card: Sound blaster Recon3D (for THX headphone surround sound and/or dolby digital live)

OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64bit system builder (is system builder the same as regular once it's running?)

Monitors: THREE asus vh238h 1080p monitors (DVI, HDMI)

Keyboard: Razer blackwidow ultimate
Mousepad: Razer goliathus EXTENDED control edition
Mouse: Razer taipan

KTHX

More about : gaming build

September 9, 2012 11:41:34 PM

Your build does work but you could be saving money and still getting similar performance. Your build is a bit focused on brands, not that that's not nice but you could save money and get equivalent performance.

Check out my $1100 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module14731235...
Just add another 7970 and you'll be good to go.

Proof?

7970 OC vs GTX 680 OC
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/14/geforce_680_6...
Clock for clock the 7970 is better than the 680.

The Asus price performance = garbage:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...
The Asrock Extreme6 Z77 is $160 performs the same if not better than the $220 Asus P8Z77-V Pro.

You can stick with the 256GB SSD if you want but I'd go with 128GB and get a 1TB for backup. The SSD can be used for main programs and the rest like media/etc. stored on the HDD.

Rosewill Hive 750 review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-65...
Great PSU for a great price! No need for spending so much, the only difference is a few percent in efficiency but even then you wouldn't notice the difference. Plus you save money.
m
l
September 10, 2012 7:22:43 AM

Those are old benchmarks azn. To effectively compare two GPUs, you have to use current drivers.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 11:44:23 PM

Please show me one with current drivers. You can't quite find drivers with the most up to date drivers, unless you know a place to find them. -_- Not sure what you're trying to point out either since THG did the same thing and the 7970 performed better they are not the newest drivers but still pretty much new.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/toxic-hd-7970-eyefi...
Clock for clock, you rule out a few points as the difference is just the bench but generally, the 7970 is better.
m
l
September 10, 2012 11:45:58 PM

Awesome, this is the kind of projects i like to work with!! tell me your budget and i will make you the best PC your money can buy.
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:35:18 AM

$2000 - ish . I don't know about those benchmarks aznshinobi posted, all the other benchmarks I have seen show about the same performance per dollar nvidia vs AMD. I am highly leaning toward nvidia for less noise and CUDA/PHYSX. I know that the 680 classified is expensive but I wanted it because it's the best single-gpu card available lol. The 670 sc+ 4gb for 470$ is probably a better choice. My long term plan is to have 2 in SLI

I didn't realize motherboards had a significant "performance" associated with them. I picked ASUS because I have a few asus products and I like them, and they generally get good reviews. I picked the p8z77-v deluxe because I figured the more you pay the more you get, and that one is $30 off in a package deal so I figured it's a good deal.

I've looked at PSU calculators and I know that I want at least a 850watt PSU to be safe, modular is better. There were cheaper PSUs like that one on newegg, but I picked it because it had 5 eggs from 500+ ratings (quality!).

I don't need 3 terabytes or whatever, and I think it'd be really cool to have all solid state. I was thinking to buy one now, then another later when I run out of space.

I know a lot of people say you don't need a sound card but I without it I would have no surround sound so...

Oh and I'm pretty solid on that i5-3570k, it's a good deal and I want pcie 3.0, and I prefer not to get an AMD processor.
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:48:38 AM

Again, the Asus is still overpriced nonetheless, why not save money if you could get the same performance? The Asrock Extreme6 Z77 will save you plenty and still give you similar features except maybe Wifi but you could get a cheap ol' $20 USB wifi adapter that'd be better than the onboard one.

Another thing, the benchmarks I posted are from trusted sites... -__- I don't know how you could think they were made up when one of the links are from THG which is the site you're on right now.

The price/performance, AMD is much better than Nvidia. Depending on the card of course. If you overclock, the 7970 price/performance is WAY better than the GTX 680. AS shown in both the HardOCP and THG review of the 7970 OC'd it performs the same/better than the 680 clock for clock @ $40-$50 less.

Also when a card is cooler or quieter, you can't base anything off reference design because most of the cards available are aftermarket/manufacturer designed coolers that run much cooler.

Again an example: Temps the HIS 7970 X2 runs cooler than the GTX 680, keep in mind the HIS is also at 1250mhz which is about roughly the top OC http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4862/his_radeon_hd_797...

DBA: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4862/his_radeon_hd_797...
A good overview, again you see it's highly dependent on the cooler. For the HIS it's not so quiet, about 4 DBA off, but the 7970 XFX DD is pretty much as quiet as the GTX 680. So something to keep in mind.

With max settings, the 7970 pulls ahead:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4862/his_radeon_hd_797...

You should keep in mind, in high monitor resolution setups, you want more VRAM. The 7970 provides 3GB and solid performance. Although the 670 you mention has 4GB, the GPU itself just doesn't perform on the level of the 7970. IMO at least..

Ultimately the choice is yours but the benchmarks show the 7970 being a better bet IMO.
m
l

Best solution

September 11, 2012 2:54:56 AM

shad0w snip3r said:
$2000 - ish . I don't know about those benchmarks aznshinobi posted, all the other benchmarks I have seen show about the same performance per dollar nvidia vs AMD. I am highly leaning toward nvidia for less noise and CUDA/PHYSX. I know that the 680 classified is expensive but I wanted it because it's the best single-gpu card available lol. The 670 sc+ 4gb for 470$ is probably a better choice. My long term plan is to have 2 in SLI

I didn't realize motherboards had a significant "performance" associated with them. I picked ASUS because I have a few asus products and I like them, and they generally get good reviews. I picked the p8z77-v deluxe because I figured the more you pay the more you get, and that one is $30 off in a package deal so I figured it's a good deal.

I've looked at PSU calculators and I know that I want at least a 850watt PSU to be safe, modular is better. There were cheaper PSUs like that one on newegg, but I picked it because it had 5 eggs from 500+ ratings (quality!).

I don't need 3 terabytes or whatever, and I think it'd be really cool to have all solid state. I was thinking to buy one now, then another later when I run out of space.

I know a lot of people say you don't need a sound card but I without it I would have no surround sound so...

Oh and I'm pretty solid on that i5-3570k, it's a good deal and I want pcie 3.0, and I prefer not to get an AMD processor.

*noise and temperature entirely depends on the cooler used on each card (it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer)

*The best single GPU card is the 7970Ghz edition... not the GTX680.

*Extra VRAM will only help you in high-res gaming (5760x1080) 2.5GB is the minimum for that res, 3GB is highly recommended.

*Correct, motherboards have no impact in performance but you might see a difference between boards when it comes to overclocking and exclusive features.

*For dual cards stick with a 750w PSU or a 850w one if you find it for cheap....btw, DO NOT pay attention to newegg reviews.

*+1 so SSD only!

*Wrong, the motherboards sound card is more than enough... a discrete sound card is a waster of money unless you have a 1500$+ sound system.

*+1 for the "not AMD CPU" statement! its sad to see how AMD CPUs have degraded... oh well, what can we do?

buy this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($183.04 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($427.55 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($427.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1922.05

*i know you have your sould and heat set on the i5 but the i7 will come in handy for gameplay recording (if you're not gonna do that then get an i5)
September 11, 2012 8:45:37 AM

Thanks for the help that will help me save quite a bit of money!

These are what I now have in mind:

CPU: i5-3570k (not gonna record much...)
CPU Cooler: probably just use the included one, I can upgrade later when I OC
Motherboard: Asus p8p77-v (also $190, has built in wifi, actually very similar to the deluxe)
Memory: 2x4gb is included free with the motherboard on newegg!
Storage: OCZ vertex 4 256gb
Video card: Either EVGA gtx 670 sc+ 4gb or Galaxy 670 4gb. (the galaxy is cheaper and higher clock speed, but I'm not sure if I want it, just looking at how bad their website is, terrible english etc. Lol! I still want nvidia for physx and cuda, as i am developing stuff with physx. and I will eventually have 5760x1080 so i want 4gb. and I think I'll get 1 now 1 later)
Case: either the c70 or storm trooper or other, ill decide which i prefer the looks of.
Power supply: XFX 850w
Optical drive: lite-on bluray (I want to have bluray for future proof, software will likley come on it)

Total: 1370 (for 1 gpu)

plus win7ult64 ($170 amazon), and keyboard/mouse/games

So what do you think: evga which costs more, or galaxy which has a bad website with bad english and probably nonexistant support?

Also: can you reccomend a mobo I could get with 3-way sli support, if i'm only getting 670s I might want to.

m
l
September 11, 2012 12:40:48 PM

shad0w snip3r said:
Thanks for the help that will help me save quite a bit of money!

These are what I now have in mind:

CPU: i5-3570k (not gonna record much...)
CPU Cooler: probably just use the included one, I can upgrade later when I OC
Motherboard: Asus p8p77-v (also $190, has built in wifi, actually very similar to the deluxe)
Memory: 2x4gb is included free with the motherboard on newegg!
Storage: OCZ vertex 4 256gb
Video card: Either EVGA gtx 670 sc+ 4gb or Galaxy 670 4gb. (the galaxy is cheaper and higher clock speed, but I'm not sure if I want it, just looking at how bad their website is, terrible english etc. Lol! I still want nvidia for physx and cuda, as i am developing stuff with physx. and I will eventually have 5760x1080 so i want 4gb. and I think I'll get 1 now 1 later)
Case: either the c70 or storm trooper or other, ill decide which i prefer the looks of.
Power supply: XFX 850w
Optical drive: lite-on bluray (I want to have bluray for future proof, software will likley come on it)

Total: 1370 (for 1 gpu)

plus win7ult64 ($170 amazon), and keyboard/mouse/games

So what do you think: evga which costs more, or galaxy which has a bad website with bad english and probably nonexistant support?

Also: can you reccomend a mobo I could get with 3-way sli support, if i'm only getting 670s I might want to.

hey, post back in a few hours.
m
l
September 11, 2012 6:11:00 PM

aznshinobi said:
Please show me one with current drivers. You can't quite find drivers with the most up to date drivers, unless you know a place to find them. -_- Not sure what you're trying to point out either since THG did the same thing and the 7970 performed better they are not the newest drivers but still pretty much new.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/toxic-hd-7970-eyefi...
Clock for clock, you rule out a few points as the difference is just the bench but generally, the 7970 is better.

I did not say those benchmarks don't prove that the 7970 is better than the 680.
m
l
September 11, 2012 10:10:53 PM

Here is an example benchmark which favors the gtx 670:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-670-review,re...

From all the benchmarks I've seen, I believe amd/nvidia are about the same performance per dollar. Everyone says the 670 in particular is great fps per dollar so I think that's what I'll get. I have more experience with Nvidia stuff and I want physx and cuda.

Also, I forgot to show it above but I'm still getting the sound card. It's not for audio quality, it's for surround sound. At the very least I need a sound card with dolby digital live so I can plug it into my DSS2 processor, but I'd prefer a soundcard that does that same processing onboard. The recon3d pcie does that, and better than the dss2 because it does vertical and horizantal surround sound. I right now have stereo headphones and I really don't want to find new headphones.
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:46:25 PM

Most Mobo sound chips have Surround sound currently. Even my Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H has surround on it. You'll be fine with MB sound.

As for the MB I still think you could save money and go with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H or Extreme4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossFireX-Motherboard-Z7...
Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...
Shows the price performance is better from the Asrock and the Gigabyte. Honestly both boards are just as good for less money. I'm just saying , some fruit for thought to save money. WIFI on the motherboard really doesn't matter when a better WiFi USB adapter is about $10-$20 for the same if not better signal performance.
m
l
September 12, 2012 3:30:24 AM

The surround sounds motherboards come with is with 6 or 8 analog connections. My headphones can either plug in with a single 3.5mm (stereo) or a spdif with dolby digital live for surround and no motherboards come with DDL. watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGYg1tGF-8&feature=play...

I don't care about wifi performance since the wifi is only temporary, I will get a cat5 soon and that is the best option. I'll probably get the ASUS p8z77v because of free RAM, and I like asus products.

What would you guys recommend, the EVGA gtx 670 sc+ 4gb or Galaxy 670 4gb?

The galaxy one comes with higher clock speed and is 30$ cheaper. However, I am leaning toward EVGA because I looked at galaxy's website and based on how bad the english is, I'm not comfortable spending $440 on their card. I feel like it would fail quickly and then I'd be stuck with a paperweight, lol.
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:15:37 AM

Either is good. I like whatever is better cooler wise. EVGA generally just releases stock coolers :/  So I guess Galaxy? But the EVGA does have a better warranty so always substitutes. The EVGA should be fine.
m
l
September 12, 2012 6:18:26 AM

okay, do you guys know of a <$300 moboard that can have 3-way sli? I've been looking at benchmarks and I want that option for 3 monitors
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:30:50 AM

Well, I just spent $2050 (less than I thought) and here's what I got:

i5-3570k
asus p8z77-v
EVGA gtx 670 sc+ 4gb
ripjaws x 16gb ram (the free ram deal expired =[ )
OCZ vertex 4 256gb
NZXT Hale82 850watt PSU (the other one said 5-8 days processing)
CM Storm Trooper
LITE-ON blu ray drive
Sound blaster recon3d pcie
WINdows 7 ultimate 64 bit OEM(Because if you don't have ultimate, you's a FOOL!)

Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013 ($140, yeesh, but now I get matching green lighting)
Razer taipan mouse
Razer goliathus extended mousepad

Battlefield 3 premium
Borderlands 2 (promo)

Surge protector and antistatic wristband

Now I still have some money left over for later for a second GPU and 2 monitors!

I am going to wait till its put together to get a water cooler to see how much space I have.

Thanks for help!
m
l
September 14, 2012 2:09:12 PM

Pick a best answer.
m
l
September 14, 2012 2:09:16 PM

shad0w snip3r said:

WINdows 7 ultimate 64 bit OEM(Because if you don't have ultimate, you's a FOOL!)

m
l
September 21, 2012 2:25:36 AM

Best answer selected by shad0w snip3r.
m
l
!