whosrizo

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Ok so I plan on getting a second 7850 soon and I just needed to make sure everything is compatible. Please let me know!

CPU - i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz
GPU - MSI TF3 7850 OC
PSU - Antec BP550
MOBO - ASUS P8H67-M PRO
RAM - 8GB DDR3

-Also if the issue resides in the power supply would it be possible for me to use my old 350w PSU to solely power my 2nd GPU?

I would assume the Antec BP550 currently powering it? Lol

OP I don't recommend that. You'll have to jury rig the second PSU, and where are you gonna put it? Dangerous. A quality PSU with 550W+ on the 12V would be fine, preferably 600W like was said. your's would have been fine if it were really 550W but it's only rated 450 on the 12V

rdc85

Honorable
-Also if the issue resides in the power supply would it be possible for me to use my old 350w PSU to solely power my 2nd GPU?

yes u can but u will need to make custom button so it will on/off as your pc turn on/off.. (depending of the case it will need a housing..)

can anyone confirm if the card still get some power from mobo/Pci-ex? if it still draw power from pci-ex than it need to included in consideration...

whosrizo

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Well wouldn't it be possible for me just to plug the power supply from my wall socket..into a small hole or something in my case directly to the 2nd gpu that I can just power on/off manually?

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

That's pretty well rigged, and the now external psu is open for ANYTHING to zap it with static, and boom, there goes your PSU, the card, and probably the MB along with it.

Do it right, PSU's aren't expensive, and protect your investment. Sell the 350watt, buy a nicer larger PSU, and keep the 550 as a backup.

whosrizo

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Problem is the 7850 would be a gift and I don't have money to spend on a PSU. Would I be better off returning the 1st GPU under return policy and spending the money for 2x 7850s on 1 high end card?

I wouldn't run a high end card on your current PSU. It's just too weak. Save up some money for a PSU. maybe make 10 bucks off.the 350, find a friend to sell the antec to.

If the original GPU is still under return is the rest too? No one needs an i7 for gaming for example. Could get by with 4 gigs of ram. Return the antec to put money toward a better PSU.

Or in crossfire the cards go to lowest common settings so return the tf3 and get a cheaper 7850 especially if the new one will be lower clocked. OR return it and find a 7950/7970/670 that's cheap enough you have enough money left for a better PSU too

You need a better PSU to go higher than a single 7850.

Not to nit pick, but is 3 12V rails limited at 22A with a combined output of 37A. He wouldn't be running a 7850 on a 260W PSU. At least not successfully. Lol

But your right even a 670 best case would be right on the PSU rating which is not safe.

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I understand that, but I still don't understand why PSU makers are spreading the available power across three rails. The most you will need for smaller wattage psu such as his antec would be MAYBE two rails for a lower end sli/xfire setup.

That wiring with be a mess.

Along time ago it was part of safety specs for atx to have low current limits. I think 16A. most just faked it, but marketing latched onto "rails" as something they could sell, and they could be deceptive with labling. Too the point some has 6 but could only power 3 at full rating. Typical PSU maker BS. That specs been dead for a long time and yet we still have to put up with it and look for a single rail as"feature"

My point was just he had quite a bit more power than.22A. But still not enough