Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan Controller?

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2012 1:02:03 AM

I got a PC build off of Newegg (I would link but it's not there anymore).

The build was:
CPU:i7-3770k(liquid cooled)
Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
GPU:HD 7770
PSU:600W Arctic Power Supply
Ram: 16gb no-name @ 1333Mhz
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower

So then at the same time I bought a gtx 480(Fermi) to switch with the 7770 because it was on sale.

GPU:HD 7770 -> GTX 480(Fermi)
PSU:600W Arctic Power Supply

I recently bought a brand spanking new power supply, an XFX Pro 850w because my GPU was just not getting enough power out of the 600w PSU.

GPU:HD 7770 -> GTX 480(Fermi)
PSU:600W Arctic Power Supply -> XFX Pro 850W

Now me and my Dad (who helped me change the parts) both tried to memorize where all of the cables went when we took them out of the mobo to change the PSU.

The only trouble was that we were left with 2 cables which we did not know where they went (+Pwr-, +Reset-) or something like that and (+HDD-, P+, P-) and that.

We put the reset and pwr cables into the +Pwr- and +Res- (because they light up, duh XD and they are the reset and power buttons) and we were then left with the other 3.

we ended up putting the +HDD- into the +HD- slot and the P+ and P- in the slots above it (+MSG-). Now I am 99% sure this is incorrect but I have no clue and the manual does not even hint at anything on the mobo or how it should be configured.

So to my Question:
My fans at the start (other than the one in my CPU LC circuit) would not turn on at all. my dad eventually plugged in a 4-pin Molex connector and they started working (along with the blue LED's attached). My biggest problem is that they are stuck at low (meaning they do not go up to high speed, and my computer overheats when I play even skyrim at lowest settings for 15min+).

Before, my computer had come with a 3 speed fan controller hooked up to all of the fans and it worked (I could tell because the fans got louder and faster, and the led's got brighter). Now it does nothing (again, led's don't get brighter and the fans stay at low speed which is obvious because it is very quiet.)

Please help me out! if you could post a quick video of you doing this in HQ that would be the best, but I NEED PICTURES AT LEAST! I am not quite sure which cables/connectors are which and now that my Dad left for the week (business trip) I cannot even begin to guess.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Hrath.

More about : fan controller

September 12, 2012 11:26:21 PM

anyone found out yet?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 11:28:13 PM

so... your fans work at slow speed... no need to buy a fan controller, simply connect them to the motherboard's fan headers (they only fit in a specific way) and that's it :/ 
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2012 2:43:46 AM

as far as I can tell my mobo has no fan headers, and as I was saying, they are indeed connected to a 3-speed fan controller which is not working for some reason.
m
l
September 13, 2012 3:12:32 AM

hrath said:
as far as I can tell my mobo has no fan headers, and as I was saying, they are indeed connected to a 3-speed fan controller which is not working for some reason.

Your mobo specs say otherwise.
There's a CPU fan header and a system fan header. Use them.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 3:26:02 AM

m
l
September 13, 2012 4:44:03 AM

so what do you put into it? because I have a single cpu fan in a LC loop and 2x 120mm and 1x 140mm fans(all with blue LED's).
m
l

Best solution

September 13, 2012 5:27:29 AM

You need connect the CIP fan to the MB cup fan header that is next to the battery. I have the link for the MB from newwegg.com you have to enlarge the picture to see it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the fan controller, I add the video from newegg.com when you watch it on ~5min, you can see there are four 3-pin connector for the fans. And you need connect the 4-pin connector to the PSU too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 13, 2012 1:09:45 PM

Best answer selected by hrath.
m
l
!