....a lot lately.

It's really impressive. Good killing speed overall, absolute lack of
downtime, highest survivability by far of all the characters I've
played, and fastest moneymaker.

I reached 53 yesterday, and generally breeze through every kind of
quests. It's a whole new world in comparison with my holy priest. In
PVP it's just laughable how powerful this character is, in comparison
to the previous one. I fear no one. I actually /shoo away enemies that
are 56, 59, or even early 60s, needless to say, it's a great rematch
after the endless corpse runs and resurrection sicknesses I had to
endure with my priest.

in PVE, it's inconceivably strong. I killed my first Devilsaur (54
elite) at level 46, with the rooting help of a level 50 druid. I killed
a level 56 rare elite bosses at level 50... I haven't met PVE death
since, what seems like an eternity.

I've been a Beastmaster all the way. Maybe it has something to do with
it. People say it won't work in higher level instances, but so far, my
pet is doing a great job as an off-tank. It even main tanked gahz'rilla
in a party without a healer... and without a single death.

As for end-game instances, well yeah, there might be a big change
there. Unless the patch is out before, and chances are it will be
(perfect timing :p). I have only one concern with the new hunter
changes, something that I couldn't test.

Spirit Bond. The old talent is shweet, I love it. But I don't know how
the new will work. It's much different from the previous one, which was
a life burst rather than a continuous regen. But will it raise aggro?
And who will get aggro for the effect? Has this been tested?

I mean, I currently use spirit Bond as a way to fight several mobs. 2-3
elites, for example. Here's main strategic concept:

1) pull one with Serpent sting. All adds go to me.
2) send pet on the pulled one. The pet gets aggro with one claw.
3) continuously shoot the main target while the mobs are beating me. At
some point, cast spirit bond. All the adds now go to pet at the first
proc.
4) if it becomes heavy on the pet, cast multishot. All add go back to
me.
5) if it becomes too heavy on me, cast feign death. All adds go back to
the pet.
6) Keep using Multishot/spiritbond yo-yo.

By doing this, I can really more than double my life in hard fights.

Of course, such fights are rare, but it's so incredible to count on
spirit bond as:
_a way to regain life in combat while doing damage
_and a way to wipe all proximity adds off you

Think of it as my little tool to completely ignore all adds in every
battle. Let them beat me, if it gets tough, I just hit spirit bond and
they go for the pet while I regain life.

Now that this talent will disappear, I don't really know what to think
of the usefulness of the replacement. +2% of max life every 10 seconds
isn't really nice, but I didnt take time to log on the test server and
examine the aggro principles on it. I mean, if I pull, and once every
10 seconds it works as an AOE aggro from the pet (think "renew buff
with 10 seconds tick"), it can be nice to just invest 1 point in there.
But if I can't turn it off... do I really want it?

Taipan a écrit :

> Heh, i did it the other way around and levelled hunter first and then priest
> (though i was shadow spec until 59) and the priest was painful after the
> ease of the hunter.
>
> However I was Marksman spec all the way - 5/31/15 spec and have had no
> reason to change it (BM spec getting major boost in 1.7 patch and will
> utterly destroy in PVP) - BM spec simply does not cut it in the high end
> raid instances.. in fact, most MC raids I've been on, pets simply aren't use
> (dismissed) as their survivability, BM talents or not, is next to nothing
> and therefore you will be significantly less useful than a MM (and in 1.7 a
> survival tree 'crit spec' is also viable) spec hunter for damage dealing.

Can you explain a bit more? I thought with 1.7 I'd be able to cruise
around MC with an additional 300 fire resistance DOT... thus making all
hunter builds viable at high level.

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ...a lot lately.
>
> It's really impressive. Good killing speed overall, absolute lack of
> downtime, highest survivability by far of all the characters I've
> played, and fastest moneymaker.
>
> I reached 53 yesterday, and generally breeze through every kind of
> quests. It's a whole new world in comparison with my holy priest.

However a well build shadow priest can kill as fast as a hunter, given the
right zone. (easy fear kiting)

> in PVE, it's inconceivably strong. I killed my first Devilsaur (54
> elite) at level 46, with the rooting help of a level 50 druid. I killed
> a level 56 rare elite bosses at level 50... I haven't met PVE death
> since, what seems like an eternity.

You can solo them decently at lvl 60, tho getting your pet feared is
annoying.

> I've been a Beastmaster all the way. Maybe it has something to do with
> it. People say it won't work in higher level instances, but so far, my
> pet is doing a great job as an off-tank. It even main tanked gahz'rilla
> in a party without a healer... and without a single death.
>
> As for end-game instances, well yeah, there might be a big change
> there. Unless the patch is out before, and chances are it will be
> (perfect timing :p). I have only one concern with the new hunter
> changes, something that I couldn't test.

A lot of instance groups will want you to dismiss your pet. I prefer to give
people the benefit of the doubt, but I have wiped a couple of times because
pets arnt handled with enough care.

taipan

--
Arathor[EU]
Taipan [60] NE Hunter | Gaijin [60] Human Priest

Al'Akir[EU]
Teepee[27] Tauren Shaman

Michael Holm a écrit :

> Well, you make it sound like your hunter was over-powered before, so
> nerfing a bit seems like a good idea, to bring the hunters down to the
> rest of us.
>
> --Vita, 60 Priest

I can't stand the term "nerf", I prefer "change" if you don't mind.

I found a use for the old Spirit Bond as AOE aggro generator and
situational healing. I know that the new spirit bond will reduce my
downtime further, by continuously regenerating both me and my pet, in
and out of combat, but I don't know yet which skills or tactics I'll
use now in battles. If the pet is back to a simple dot, as it was
before I got spirit bond, I might as well go all-out survival in 1.7
(basically: I don't like the routine "cast hunter mark, send pet, wait
for it to growl, shoot" of the marksman soloist)

Christian Stauffer a écrit :

> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (basically: I don't like the routine "cast hunter mark, send pet, wait
> > for it to growl, shoot" of the marksman soloist)
>
> N00b :p
>
> I send the pet while skinning/looting the previous mob. By the time I
> completed skinning the mob, the pet has some aggro, I finish the mob,
> send the pet to the next one, and skin/loot the new prey.
>
> As you said yourself: Huntres are teh imba!!
>
> Chris

N00b :p

Skinning actually loses me money, it takes up critical inventory space
for grey/green/blue loot (and mageweave, ah, mageweave!) and I actually
pull the next PACK of mobs while the pet finishes the current one ;)

This morning my pet critted a claw for 104! yay! 130dps from pet during
that fight, 221dps overall Harry is imba ;)

Christian Stauffer a écrit :

> GUESS WHO'LL BE THE FIRST HUNTER TO RIDE A KODO? HA! Take this!

I'll be the first ORC hunter to ride a kodo. 14800 reputation to go.

> > This morning my pet critted a claw for 104! yay! 130dps from pet during
> > that fight, 221dps overall Harry is imba ;)
>
> 104 crit from a pet, is that a lot?

It is, at level 53! (of course the mob was less armoured than fresh poo
but still)

Pets have 3 attacks:
bite (instant, once every 10 seconds, high damage, high focus burn)
claw (instant, once every second, low damage, high focus burn)
normal attack (once every 1-2 seconds depending on pet, medium damage)

Bite = opener, then it's normal attack+claw. Any crit toggles frenzy,
improving the normal attack speed by 40% for 8 seconds. So in essence,
to have an idea of my pet's damage, consider that it has 116 focus,
regens 24 focus every 3 seconds, that without any mod my pet sequence
is:

(time in sec, initial focus - cost + regen) [attack performed]
1: 114 - 35 [bite] [normal]
2: 79 - 25 [claw]
2.2: 54 - 0 [normal]
3: 54 - 25 [claw]
3.4: 29 - 0 [normal]
4: 29 - 25 + 24 [claw]
4.6: 28 - 0 [normal]
5: 28 - 25 [claw]
5.8: 3 - 0 [normal]
7: 3 - 25 + 24 [claw] [normal]
8.2: 2 - 0 [normal]
9.4: 2 - 0 [normal]
10: 2 - 25 + 24 [claw]
11.2 : 1 - 0 [normal]
12.4 : 1 - 0 [normal]
13: 1 - 25 + 24 [claw]

That's 18 attacks over 13 seconds. If I turn spirit bond on, it
currently gives me back 18*30 = 540 life. At level 60 it would give
back 720 life. Not too bad.

Now the pet has around 22% chance to crit. Let's say that the fifth hit
crits (after 3 seconds).
so between second 3 and second 11 it bursts the number of [normal]
attacks to 9 instead of 6 (that's some additional life (120 at level
60), and chances are another crit will come then, putting the pet in
unending frenzy).

Pets at level 60 (base damage):
Bite (81-99) (90 per attack)
Claw (43-59) (50 per attack)
normal (50dps) (60 per attack)

During those 13 first seconds, the pet will deal 7 claws, 1 bite and
about 12 normal attacks, that's 20 attacks, 4 crits on average. Let's
convert the crits into 4 additional normal attacks to simplify the
calculation.

-> 1400 base average damage over the first 13 seconds of a fight. Now
add the unleashed fury talent: +10% damage (1540 damage)
Then feed the pet to happy: +25% additional damage (1925 damage)

Average damage from the pet only over the first 13 seconds of the
fight: 148dps (which will be further mitigated by the armour of the
target)

better than the best of DOT spells, with mana cost 0. For a measly mana
cost, it also gives 800 life back.

Without beast mastery, you lose the 10% damage, a couple claws due to
lack of focus, and of course, the 15% crit and 30% speed bonus. It all
adds to quite a sum, and forces the pet to put claw away and growl
instead to keep aggro, while beastmasters obviously don't need that!

now I'll stop maths. I promess.

Urbin a écrit :

> On 13 Sep 2005 05:16:13 -0700, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Average damage from the pet only over the first 13 seconds of the
> > fight: 148dps (which will be further mitigated by the armour of the
> > target)

I'll stress that again, just to make sure: "which will be further
mitigated by the armour of the target"!

> > better than the best of DOT spells, with mana cost 0. For a measly mana
> > cost, it also gives 800 life back.
>
> Wow. I have so far spurned the Beast Mastery tree pretty much (at level 56
> my build is something like 4/36/5) thinking that MM is the way to go as a
> hunter. I put those 5 points into survival to improve my traps but then
> changed my mind towards improving my pet some as I have started taking the
> aggro off my pet with some of my crit shots.

You know, there's no surprise here. Beast Mastery has always been a
very, very strong tree.

But the pets are not strong enough. All the hunters you see are
marksmen for a reason: they heard that they cannot count on their pets
to survive long enough in high-end content and group PVP, and the BM
tree does NOT help pets to survive. Even though their armour is
somewhere between mail and plate, even though they have a good dodge
chance and can cower the aggro back to the tank, they are highly
subject to AOE elemental attacks. Very highly. Their maximum life is
low, even for bears, and there's no conventional way to upgrade it.

Each time they die, it takes 10 seconds, 60% of your mana pool, and
about 30 more seconds of feeding to revive them and bring them back to
happy face. Power is costly, I guess. That's why these beastmaster
hunters are so strong in 1vs1 PVP, leveling PVE, and money-making PVE.
But as soon as you enter a place/situation where your pet is more
likely to die than to survive... it's a whole new deal.

I'm happy as hell: I enjoyed this tree before, a lot, and hopefully
will never know the issues of leaving my favourite little one behind me
up there with the new patch (level 53, beast mastery 33/marksmanship
11).

> I am waiting for the 1.7 patch for the free respec planning for a MM/bm tree
> but maybe I'll first respec BM/mm to experiment with some of what Babe
> wrote. I realise that spirit bond will be changed (some say nerfed - I can't
> say, really) but still, it will be fun comparing that to my current build.
>
> And if it doesn't work out I can still buy a respec back to MM/bm :)

....and if it doesn't work out I can still play my holy priest :D

On 12 Sep 2005 10:16:51 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Taipan a écrit :
>
>> Heh, i did it the other way around and levelled hunter first and then priest
>> (though i was shadow spec until 59) and the priest was painful after the
>> ease of the hunter.
>>
>> However I was Marksman spec all the way - 5/31/15 spec and have had no
>> reason to change it (BM spec getting major boost in 1.7 patch and will
>> utterly destroy in PVP) - BM spec simply does not cut it in the high end
>> raid instances.. in fact, most MC raids I've been on, pets simply aren't use
>> (dismissed) as their survivability, BM talents or not, is next to nothing
>> and therefore you will be significantly less useful than a MM (and in 1.7 a
>> survival tree 'crit spec' is also viable) spec hunter for damage dealing.
>
>Can you explain a bit more? I thought with 1.7 I'd be able to cruise
>around MC with an additional 300 fire resistance DOT... thus making all
>hunter builds viable at high level.

Even with the 1.7 changes, pets will be cold meat to anything inside a raid
instance. You'll spend more time rezzing and waiting for mana to come back
than the pet will ever supply in meaningful damage. Having your pet die 2-3
times per pull would be expected.

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (basically: I don't like the routine "cast hunter mark, send pet, wait
> for it to growl, shoot" of the marksman soloist)

N00b :p

I send the pet while skinning/looting the previous mob. By the time I
completed skinning the mob, the pet has some aggro, I finish the mob,
send the pet to the next one, and skin/loot the new prey.

As you said yourself: Huntres are teh imba!!

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (21) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> N00b :p

:'(

> Skinning actually loses me money, it takes up critical inventory space
> for grey/green/blue loot (and mageweave, ah, mageweave!) and I actually
> pull the next PACK of mobs while the pet finishes the current one ;)

Ok, that hurts. Hrm... how can I counter that? Ow.. hehe. *harg* *harg*
GUESS WHO'LL BE THE FIRST HUNTER TO RIDE A KODO? HA! Take this!

> This morning my pet critted a claw for 104! yay! 130dps from pet during
> that fight, 221dps overall Harry is imba ;)

104 crit from a pet, is that a lot? I *think* I've already seen my bear
crit for ~60, but I might be wrong (could've been a crit from me).
All those high numbers confuse me, I'm not used to that. My main
produces 250-470 damage every 2.5s and 18 every time something hits him,
not too hard to keep track of :eek:)

Chris... who likes his hunter, but has frozen him for yet another alt,
a troll warrior

--

wrote:

> [...]
>convert the crits into 4 additional normal attacks to simplify the
>calculation.
>
>-> 1400 base average damage over the first 13 seconds of a fight. Now
>add the unleashed fury talent: +10% damage (1540 damage)
>Then feed the pet to happy: +25% additional damage (1925 damage)
>
>Average damage from the pet only over the first 13 seconds of the
>fight: 148dps (which will be further mitigated by the armour of the
>target)
>
>better than the best of DOT spells, with mana cost 0. For a measly mana
>cost, it also gives 800 life back.
>
>Without beast mastery, you lose the 10% damage, a couple claws due to
>lack of focus, and of course, the 15% crit and 30% speed bonus. It all
>adds to quite a sum, and forces the pet to put claw away and growl
>instead to keep aggro, while beastmasters obviously don't need that!

No, keep going, it's Impressive. I actually shelved my Hunter for a
while, whilst my druid Levels up with my Missus' Priest and boy, does
it make me dream of running free across the fields with my Insane
Piggy in tow. (Ok, Pig can't claw, but It has a Mowhawk and does that
funny snuffling routine when its bored).

In article <1126600883.748174.90990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, you make it sound like your hunter was over-powered before, so
> > nerfing a bit seems like a good idea, to bring the hunters down to the
> > rest of us.

> I can't stand the term "nerf", I prefer "change" if you don't mind.

The two have different meanings. "Change" can be in any direction,
including merely cosmetic, whereas "nerf" specifically refers to changes
which drastically weaken.

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

On 13 Sep 2005 05:16:13 -0700, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Average damage from the pet only over the first 13 seconds of the
> fight: 148dps (which will be further mitigated by the armour of the
> target)
>
> better than the best of DOT spells, with mana cost 0. For a measly mana
> cost, it also gives 800 life back.

Wow. I have so far spurned the Beast Mastery tree pretty much (at level 56
my build is something like 4/36/5) thinking that MM is the way to go as a
hunter. I put those 5 points into survival to improve my traps but then
changed my mind towards improving my pet some as I have started taking the
aggro off my pet with some of my crit shots.

I am waiting for the 1.7 patch for the free respec planning for a MM/bm tree
but maybe I'll first respec BM/mm to experiment with some of what Babe
wrote. I realise that spirit bond will be changed (some say nerfed - I can't
say, really) but still, it will be fun comparing that to my current build.

And if it doesn't work out I can still buy a respec back to MM/bm :)

Curios greetings
Urbin

--
Urbin (56), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Average damage from the pet only over the first 13 seconds of the
> fight: 148dps (which will be further mitigated by the armour of the
> target)

Your pet has more DPS than I do. You made me a sad bear and I hate
you.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (21) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> Well, you make it sound like your hunter was over-powered before, so
> nerfing a bit seems like a good idea, to bring the hunters down to the
> rest of us.

Yah -thats why every second person you see is running around with a
Beastmaster Specced Hunter...

*cough*

Currently the beastmaster specced hunter is a one trick pony, awesome solo
grinding/survivability in a PvE enviroment. I use the same build as this is
how I use it. Many classes have areas they excel at or even have a monopoly
on. This is the way the game is designed to be and is not a fault.

Your not meant to be the strongest in all areas and part of being a mature
player is realising your class may have one or two strengths, but is going
to be completely outclassed in most other areas. Again this is not a fault
or reason to nerf classes.

"Rastus" <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote in

>> Well, you make it sound like your hunter was over-powered before, so
>> nerfing a bit seems like a good idea, to bring the hunters down to
>> the rest of us.
>
> Yah -thats why every second person you see is running around with a
> Beastmaster Specced Hunter...
>
> *cough*
>
> Currently the beastmaster specced hunter is a one trick pony, awesome
> solo grinding/survivability in a PvE enviroment. I use the same build
> as this is how I use it. Many classes have areas they excel at or even
> have a monopoly on. This is the way the game is designed to be and is
> not a fault.
>
> Your not meant to be the strongest in all areas and part of being a
> mature player is realising your class may have one or two strengths,
> but is going to be completely outclassed in most other areas. Again
> this is not a fault or reason to nerf classes.

Amen.

--
Richard Carpenter

Nabuu wrote:

> In article <1126600883.748174.90990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Well, you make it sound like your hunter was over-powered before, so
>>>nerfing a bit seems like a good idea, to bring the hunters down to the
>>>rest of us.
>

>>I can't stand the term "nerf", I prefer "change" if you don't mind.
>

> The two have different meanings. "Change" can be in any direction,
> including merely cosmetic, whereas "nerf" specifically refers to changes
> which drastically weaken.

....or simply induce a change to the player's gaming style. It's still a
change to me.

I think I'm gonna try an Alliance hunter on one of the new RP realms,
minus the maths it sounds like fun! I played one before 'til about
level 20 when the game first came out, but I didn't have a clue what I
was doing then. I had 2 owls, one from Teldrassil and a pet one bought
from Darnasuss. Yep that's right, a niiiice pair of hooters.

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> Your pet has more DPS than I do. You made me a sad bear and I hate
> you.
>
> Chris

If you want to be a sad bear then remember the above comments have all been
pre-1.7.

I just did the post 1.7 respecc but stuck with Beastmaster all the way. I
then "unlearned training" on my pet and trained it up under the new system
with Natural Amour and Stamina. Result?

- My Cat of Doom now has 2097 hp and 3641 AR points at level 42. Once he
catches up to me at 43 it will be a bit higher.

He can now properly tank mellee mobs my level and a bit higher without me
having to share the punishment - ie, levels 45/46. Damage output has not
increased that I have noticed and of course caster mobs quickly bring my pet
back to reality.