Checking NVRAM hangs or Pixels everywhere

avidichard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I bought a used ATI Sapphire HD 3850 AGP 512 Mb GDDR3 for this mother board (MS-6712). After turning on the computer, The boot up does not get passed through Checking NVRAM or, if by luck, it goes through, I just see coulours High deffinition pixels on my screen and nothing else happens. Here is a link to the screenshots of what happens: https://picasaweb.google.com/103382185809862902884/SapphireHD3850Bug. Can someone help me out? I tried with a 350 watt power supply, a 450 watts, I disconnected everything, even the hard drives and yet, this still happens.

avidichard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If this is a double post, sorry, my first post seemed to have vanished in mid air. I couldn't go in it any more.

Screnshots here: https://picasaweb.google.com/103382185809862902884/SapphireHD3850Bug

Problem:

I bought a used ATI Sapphire HD 3850 AGP 512 mb GDDR3 for my Mother Board MS-6712 aparently taking AGP 8X cards. When I plugged the card in, It loaded a few seconds but hangs at Checking NVRAM. AND, if by chance, it does go through NVRAM, I get High definition coulored pixels on my screen, when I mean HD Pixels, I mean big pixels, see the screenshots for better explanation. How can I solve this problem IF solvable and If NOT solvable, what is the BEST AGP card I can put on my Mother Board?

For the curious: My laptop's south bridge grilled and therefore I had to deal with the material I had at home and that's what I had.

Thanks in advance,

David

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Sapphire HD 3850 has DDR3 memory while your motherboard only supports DDR ram(not even DDR2). Thats why that gpu is not compatible with that board. With agp slots the memory and video memory type has to be the same. PCI-E express is a different story you can put GDDR3/ GDDR5 gpus on a GDDR2 system with no issues unfortunately thats not the case with agp slots.

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I see! this is actually an assumption that I made ages ago when the nvidia 6200 didn't work on my dell latitude gx270 board. I ask the local hardware dealer and he explained this ddr/ddr2 stuff to me.

Fair enough. A lot of hardware dealers spew more bullshit than an overcrowded dairy farm. There are a boatload of different types of memory that can be put on video cards including but not limited to:

VRAM - a special type of RAM designed specifically for video cards. Has been out of use for some time and has colloquially been used to refer to all graphics memory.

WRAM - modified and improved form of VRAM

EDORAM - used on most video cards in the late 1990s

MDRAM - popular in the early to mid 90s, allowed for huge resolutions at the time (1024x768 lol)

SDRAM - Precursor to DDRx SDRAM. Very functionally similar to the memory in almost all devices today

SGRAM - Specialized type of SDRAM enhanced for video cards

DDR SDRAM - same as system memory

DDR2 SDRAM - same as system memory

DDR3 SDRAM - same as system memory, rarely used

GDDR3 SGRAM - derived form of DDR2 with additions from the original SGRAM specifications

GDDR4 SGRAM - derived form of DDR3 with SGRAM specifications

GDDR5 SGRAM - Derived form of DDR3 with SGRAM specifications and a different clocking mechanism which doubles the IO rate.

GDDR4 and GDDR5 are both based off of DDR3 SDRAM

The video memory communicates with the graphics processor directly and is often connected in chunks (each cluster of ALUs has its own dedicated memory) and is not at all directly related to the system memory.

avidichard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
So what I can believe off your responses is that my videocard is dead and that no matter what video card I use, If it's AGP, I can still use it without any problems even though the memory type is different. And thank you for the little course on memory types Pinhedd :)

Yup, your card is dead. I've seen that many times.