Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gpu heats up and crashes during gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2012 2:21:44 AM

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-21...
Awhile back, I had the V card installed by an employee at best buy. But nowadays, the temperatures reach 60-70C on standby, and peak to 90-100s during gaming! I underclocked the card to prevent a crash, but I wish I could actually use the card instead of bottlenecking it. Any ideas..?
July 23, 2012 2:35:45 AM

Clean all the dust out of your case. The build up over time has clogged the heat sinks.

Link is broken.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 2:44:55 AM

thats a very budget video card. That card could be defective. Can you return it and get another
July 23, 2012 2:47:38 AM

Its 2 years old, I highly doupt it is...
And this just all happens suddenly! Like before it worked like a charm, the next day, crash city x.x
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 2:48:55 AM

Sounds like your GPU has had it. At that age it is probably going dead.
July 23, 2012 2:51:47 AM

Curses, and I just spend 200$ on a new Cpu/heatsink/Psu.
Well... Any other solution? It seems when I remove the case and play, it stays at 80 instead of 100. .-.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 3:03:10 AM

Thats not a good idea. The case is designed to bring air in and remove air out if properly setup. Getting two years of service out a gpu is not bad. Maybe someone else can jump in but it sure sounds like your card is dying.

One thing I would do is check your GPU and maybe reapply some thermal paste to see if that helps. Underneath that fan is a heatsink much like a cpu. It might help and be worth a try. If you have not done that before, I would start another forum and request help on removing and reapplying paste to a GPU
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 3:04:22 AM

I have not done that to a GPU so I cannot be of much more help
July 23, 2012 4:22:54 AM

If your GPU is 2 years old and overheating, chances are highly likely your heat goo/pad has dried out, I would reseat your heatsink before upgrading.
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 4:43:22 AM

akumati said:
I already cleaned the inside with compressed air, no difference.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-21... Link fixed.

did you mean you already blow the heat sinks with compressed air? if you don't want to get new card right now try replacing the thermal paste. for 2 years the are high chances that the thermal paste come with the gpu already dried up.
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 4:45:23 PM

There you go OP - help has arrived - good luck and dont get discouraged The good people can walk you through the thermal paste
July 23, 2012 5:02:31 PM

Best answer selected by akumati.
!