Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which CPU should I buy?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 24, 2013 7:28:52 PM

Okay, so I previously asked this question sort of, but I still have not upgraded my cpu. So I want to ask the question again with updated information. Because I have access to a Microcenter I can get the cpu's a little cheaper.

Which cpu would be the best for all around games now and in the future(supposing I upgrade my gpu to something equivalent to a GTX 690) and everyday tasks(internet and such):

-FX-8350 - $189
-I5 2500k - $139
-I5 3570k - $189
-I7 3770k - $229

I have an M5A99x Evo, FX 8120 and GTX 670.

I will also overclock each slightly (0.4-0.5 Ghz)

Which is the best upgrade from my FX 8120 (best bang for my bucK)?

More about : cpu buy

January 24, 2013 8:24:18 PM

I agree with ChilledGrease. You don't need to bay the extra 75 for Hyperthreading on the i7, games don't use it and there's a virtually 0% difference in gaming between the i7 3570K and the i7 3770K. But if you prefer AMD, I'd go FX 8350, that does have Hyperthreading. All the processors provide a good overclock :) 

Regards,
Dan.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 24, 2013 8:37:22 PM

Thanks, so out of the I5 2500k and the I5 3570k, what is the real difference between the two?
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:40:47 PM

No no no, scratch that. Get the 8350. It is better than 3570K in almost everything.

Also, by getting the 8350, you don't have to upgrade your platform. You save what, 200-300$? 8350 is a no brainer for the most bang for the buck, in your case at least.
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:45:45 PM

No problem. The difference is that the 2500K is an older processor (Sandy Bridge) And the 3570K is a newer one, (Ivy Bridge) with more modern technology and a better integrated graphics system. I'd go 3570K :) 
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:49:13 PM

Well if I went with the 2500k and the MSI Z77A-G45 it would total $250 @ Microcenter.
Given I could sell my motherboard and cpu for at least $200, it would be a $50 upgrade. If I go with the FX 8350, it $190 and if I sell my FX 8120 for $100, thats a $90 upgrade.
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:51:15 PM

I think the FX 8350 is a better CPU than the 2500K, as it is faster, newer and supports Hyperthreading. The i5 3570K doesn't support Hyperthreading, but beats the other two, in terms of gaming, in my opinion :) 
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:51:54 PM

TheGreatHoylando said:
No problem. The difference is that the 2500K is an older processor (Sandy Bridge) And the 3570K is a newer one, (Ivy Bridge) with more modern technology and a better integrated graphics system. I'd go 3570K :) 

So other than the I5 3570k being newer with better integrated graphics, there is barely a difference. Could I overclock the 2500k to equal the performance of the 3570k?
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:00:36 PM

That's the only difference I'm aware of and the i5 2500k is actually .1 ghz slower stock speed but you and overclock it a lot, so yeah it would equal the 3570K. The 3570K just has better support, efficiency etc. The 2500K is still an excellent CPU and an excellent choice :) 
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:05:31 PM

Alright then, Thanks for your help and hopefully I can get this upgrade soon.
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:10:38 PM

It's fine :)  Let us know how you get on
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:15:33 PM

acerace said:
No no no, scratch that. Get the 8350. It is better than 3570K in almost everything.

Also, by getting the 8350, you don't have to upgrade your platform. You save what, 200-300$? 8350 is a no brainer for the most bang for the buck, in your case at least.

Whaaaaa.... the 3570k easily outperforms the 8350, ESPECIALLY in gaming, add that to its waaaay lower TDP and intel quicksync? i would say that the 3570k is a better "bang for your buck"
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:22:48 PM

Opaz1ka said:
Whaaaaa.... the 3570k easily outperforms the 8350, ESPECIALLY in gaming, add that to its waaaay lower TDP and intel quicksync? i would say that the 3570k is a better "bang for your buck"

As the owner of an i5 3570K, I agree with you totally. Intel make nice refined processors, AMD seem to put more cores in to keep up with Intel...
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 24, 2013 9:36:49 PM

Anything below an i7 CPU is for folks on welfare.
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 9:37:38 PM

TheGreatHoylando said:
I think the FX 8350 is a better CPU than the 2500K, as it is faster, newer and supports Hyperthreading. The i5 3570K doesn't support Hyperthreading, but beats the other two, in terms of gaming, in my opinion :) 


Uhm, did you really mean to say that the FX 8350 supports hyperthreading? Because that's in no way correct.

OP, it comes down to the i5-3570k or the FX 8350. Both are great chips, but I'd say the i5 is better for gaming.

However, it looks like you already have a decent processor, which means neither of these are going to be huge upgrades. Since that's the case, do the obvious: Pick up an aftermarket cooler for $30 and overclock that SOB. (Which you should do with the upgrade anyways.)
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 9:38:47 PM

Anonymous said:
Anything below an i7 CPU is for folks on welfare.


Sorry kid, but you're already an established troll.

(For those who don't know, there's no point (for gamers or average users) in buying a MODERN i7 over an i5 - the only difference is hyperthreading, which games don't support. The i7 is simply a waste of money.)
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:39:31 PM

I highly doubt that, in fact a lot of naive PC builders think 'i7, best one great', waste their money on that, then don't buy other decent parts... Also, there is only 75 squids in it
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 9:40:59 PM

DarkSable said:
Sorry kid, but you're already an established troll.

(For those who don't know, there's no point (for gamers or average users) in buying a MODERN i7 over an i5 - the only difference is hyperthreading, which games don't support. The i7 is simply a waste of money.)

Thank you DarkSable, someone with more sense than this guy, he's getting cocky with his i7 :) 
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 9:59:53 PM

Of course. He's been doing quite a job of himself trying to start arguments... sadly usually he simply spouts nonsense, rather than actually trolling people.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 3:37:33 PM

zoofish said:
Well if I went with the 2500k and the MSI Z77A-G45 it would total $250 @ Microcenter.
Given I could sell my motherboard and cpu for at least $200, it would be a $50 upgrade. If I go with the FX 8350, it $190 and if I sell my FX 8120 for $100, thats a $90 upgrade.


Well, the 8350 beats the 2500K in everything. The $40 more is very worth it. FX 8350 is a VERY capable all-in-one CPU. Even though the 8350 might slack a bit in gaming, the 3570K faster only a little bit. Not worth the platform upgrade.

With what you have now, a simple BIOS update, and you're good to go. Only have to buy the CPU, nothing more.
m
0
l
!