lastMagi

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hi, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but i've looked at a dozen other similar questions and still am not sure.

My PSU:
Antec Signature SG-850 850W
+12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, +12V4@25A

So, the 670 has a minimum requirement of 30 amps on the 12v rail, and from the looks of it my PSU can only do a max load of 22-25. Should I consider upgrading to get the most out of a single 670? Or should it run without a hitch for gaming with this PSU? I didn't want to upgrade anything but my video card, hoping to get at least 2 more years out of my current components.

Solution
Ok just because it says 30amps on the 12v rail and you showed us what your PSU has so just know this. Two of the 12v rails are used to one 6 or 8 pin connector and the other two are use for the second 6 or 8 pin connector.

So you don't have anything to worry about. Your PSU came with 6 + 2 pin connectors and if they aren't wrap up together you should see two sets of wires coming from the PSU to the 6+2 connector as well as the other.

They wouldn't sale a 850w PSU knowing you will be using high end GPU's. There a lot of talk about what is better a single 12v rail or more than one 12v rail. The answer is still out on it. Hope this has helped and good luck to you on your new card.

DM186

Splendid
Ok just because it says 30amps on the 12v rail and you showed us what your PSU has so just know this. Two of the 12v rails are used to one 6 or 8 pin connector and the other two are use for the second 6 or 8 pin connector.

So you don't have anything to worry about. Your PSU came with 6 + 2 pin connectors and if they aren't wrap up together you should see two sets of wires coming from the PSU to the 6+2 connector as well as the other.

They wouldn't sale a 850w PSU knowing you will be using high end GPU's. There a lot of talk about what is better a single 12v rail or more than one 12v rail. The answer is still out on it. Hope this has helped and good luck to you on your new card.

Solution

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

i think it should be fine, because the minimum requirement:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-670/specifications

is just 500W.
about the amp on the 12 V rail, im not sure, better match the requirements needed on the rail.
but if you're psu says 12V1, 12V2, 12V3? then you just add the number of amp on each rails and you got you're total amp.
for e.g.
+12V1 = 16A
+12V2 = 16A,

thats a total of

16A+16A = 32A

just total you're +12V rails!

lastMagi

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply everyone, very helpful.

Thanks for the reference, that's precisely the card I was looking at. EVGA is very good from what I've read review-wise, both in quality of product and customer support.

It has been awhile since I've built it, I don't really remember the configuration of the cables. I do know my current video card only uses 1 connector from the PSU. I will have to open it up and see what I've got, because if I'm understanding correctly, I'll need to attach 2 connectors from the PSU to make up for the low amperage on each cable?