Beasts or Beast? Graphics card help!

Hey guys, i have saved up enough money to go all out on the graphics card or cards im planning on running on hoefully my dream rig..but i was hoping you guys could shed some imput on this. My rig is going to be for mostly gaming and i was either going to pick up 2 7970s or 1 gtx 690...yes i plan on going all out like i said. Any advice on which way i should go?
47 answers Last reply
More about beasts beast graphics card help
  1. What resolution and games will you be playing?, you dont need a super powerful graphics card if you, well, dont need one. Which usually means you would be playing across multiple monitors at high resolutions
  2. depends on which games you will be playing and your tolerance to possible problems, number of screens and resolution can also play a factor as well. Normally i would pick the single card, but the 7970 in cf and 690 have distinct advantages in different games most likely


    the 7970 can possibly run into crossfire problems, but i think would hold a better resell value if you think its too much and wanted to sell one and technically may outperform the 690 due to the fact the 690 is 2 slightly nerfed 680s in sli.
  3. if you have the option between sli or a single card for the same price; try to go for single card.

    There is more complexity with sli, and always people complaining about this that or the other not working right. The driver updates that fix the problems for SLI setups lag behind the same fixes for single card.
  4. Also I would recommend the 690 if your going to spend that much money, amds cards tend to have stuttering issues with crossfire, and benchmarks show that the 690 is better than the 7970 x2, and its quieter, and uses less power.
  5. Of course there is certain games as said above that favor AMD or nVidia's cards, like metro 2033 highly favors the 7970 x2 over the 690, but even at max settings and high resolutions, both would be VERY playable at that game, 60 fps no problem even with high resolutions
  6. matter37 said:
    Of course there is certain games as said above that favor AMD or nVidia's cards, like metro 2033 highly favors the 7970 x2 over the 690, but even at max settings and high resolutions, both would be VERY playable at that game, 60 fps no problem even with high resolutions



    essentially this guy knows whats happening, both will score past 60fps easily in just about all games(besides really badly coded games) and both setups are designed for 3 monitors at the minimum.
  7. Also, another thing as for cost, the GTX 690 is currently going to cost you a wopping $1000, the 2 HD7970's should cost approx. $900, but if you have the money to spend I would say spend the extra and get the 690 if you insist on getting a super high end card
  8. raytseng said:
    if you have the option between sli or a single card for the same price; try to go for single card.

    There is more complexity with sli, and always people complaining about this that or the other not working right. The driver updates that fix the problems for SLI setups lag behind the same fixes for single card.

    He would be using crossfire, not sli, even though they do the same thing, you must remember that they are different technologies and each have different problems, crossfire seemingly usually having worse ones it seems (the stuttering), and usually driver problems from nvidia get updated quickly if there is a problem, nvidia is very good with their drivers, amd, not so much
  9. Well i plan on playing the games that i get at the highest resolutions so i can experience pc gaming at it fullest :) but yeah to me it sounds like the 690 would be worth it. And what if i decided to go with 1 7970? would it compete with the 690? And as far as montor setup im going to try to go with 1 and then hopefully get to 2 or 3 in a few weeks after getting everything.
  10. jbarrows said:
    Well i plan on playing the games that i get at the highest resolutions so i can experience pc gaming at it fullest :) but yeah to me it sounds like the 690 would be worth it. And what if i decided to go with 1 7970? would it compete with the 690? And as far as montor setup im going to try to go with 1 and then hopefully get to 2 or 3 in a few weeks after getting everything.


    A single 7970 is in a different league compared to the 690 of course, even the 7970 ghz(a modified 7970 OC) is different because its a single gpu card. the release of the 7970x2(the dual gpu 7970) has not been dated and is unknown if it will ever be released to the public or not. this review would be your go to card to look at benchmarks between the top end cards.


    (though if you really wanted to push something over the limit, 2 7970 ghz 6 gb vram in crossfire would be overkill, because there will be no game that will ever hit that 6 gb vram mark)


    THOUGH imo, if you had that kind of money, i would have invested the rest into something that makes the computer cleaner or be more effecient, be it install larger ssds, have awesome fan controllers, or make the case look aesthetic as a whole, or even invest in several high end monitors for a clean run. if its a single monitor, both setups are too op for it.
  11. jbarrows said:
    And what if i decided to go with 1 7970? would it compete with the 690?


    that's more like pitting a single 7970 against 2 GTX680.
  12. What are the rest of your system specs?
    DO you have a power supply that will support it?
  13. jbarrows said:
    Well i plan on playing the games that i get at the highest resolutions so i can experience pc gaming at it fullest :) but yeah to me it sounds like the 690 would be worth it. And what if i decided to go with 1 7970? would it compete with the 690? And as far as montor setup im going to try to go with 1 and then hopefully get to 2 or 3 in a few weeks after getting everything.


    The 7970 competes with a single 670/680, the 690 (2x nerfed 680s in sli) much more powerful.

    If you ARE NOT going to get 3 or more screens running games at 5760x1080 then don't bother with the 690, wasting money that can go towards other hardware. Get a 7970/680, you will not notice the difference at 1920x1080

    But if you have $1k+ so splash out and want the bragging rights at LANs then get the GTX690 :P
  14. I am so jealous lol get the 690 if your able to afford it why not :na: i would just get this myself if i could afford it EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785#top
  15. ok so heres the rig that ill have in the next couple days:
    i5 3970K
    corsair 8gb ram
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard
    corsair 750w ps
    1tb hard drive with 180gb ssd
    samsung syncmaster S23B550 23in monitor(hopefully getting 1 or 2 more :) )

    soo the gtx 690 is basically the ferrari of cards...and if i decide to go multiple monitors i would have to step back on the card...would it be worth getting maybe a 680 or 670 superclocked if i went that route?
  16. jbarrows said:
    ok so heres the rig that ill have in the next couple days:
    i5 3970K
    corsair 8gb ram
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard
    corsair 750w ps
    1tb hard drive with 180gb ssd
    samsung syncmaster S23B550 23in monitor(hopefully getting 1 or 2 more :) )

    soo the gtx 690 is basically the ferrari of cards...and if i decide to go multiple monitors i would have to step back on the card...would it be worth getting maybe a 680 or 670 superclocked if i went that route?

    of course but in a multiple monitor set up you want the one i linked it has 4GB also do you mean i7-3970k?
  17. 3770K!

    You'll need at least an 850W for a good optimal setup!
  18. ok i am checking out the 4gb as we speak...and yeah my mistake 3770K :/ and ok i was going to go with thermaltake but everyone said there brand is garbage so i decided to go with corsair on the ps. But more gb on your cards is the way to go if your going to use multiple monitors?
  19. I would also get a better motherboard mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819#top

    mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820#top

    mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545#top

    mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASRock-_-13157295&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=#top
  20. ok which one out of those would you recommend?
  21. jbarrows said:
    ok i am checking out the 4gb as we speak...and yeah my mistake 3770K :/ and ok i was going to go with thermaltake but everyone said there brand is garbage so i decided to go with corsair on the ps. But more gb on your cards is the way to go if your going to use multiple monitors?
    Yes most thermaltake are junk however the Toughpower series are good you can get this PC Power & Cooling PPCMK2S750 Silencer Mk II Power Supply - 750W, 80 Plus Silver, 135mm Fan, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC $94.99 $74.99 after rebate http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=927377&CatId=2533
  22. jbarrows said:
    ok which one out of those would you recommend?
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO my cousin has it and i think it's a kick ass top notch motherboard really easy to overclock on :D and the bios is just to awesome. The Asrock 6 would be my second recommendation
  23. You could balance that build a little bit better.

    And yea Thermaltake only makes a few good power supplies right now. Most of their stuff is not as good as like Seasonic or Corsair.

    If you scaled back to a 3570K, you would not see almost any performance drop and you could save money for more monitors.
  24. If you are on a budget, I would suggest this GPU. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW beats even a reference GTX 680 out the box and beats the 7970 in most games too. It uses the GTX 680 PCB and has 8 Phase VRAM for better OC than even reference GTX 680's.

    I have this card and can max out Battlefield 3 with solid 60+FPS with Vsync on 2 1080p.

    It's only $400, best bang for your buck in this price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-geforce-gtx-670-ftw/?page=5
  25. El Tigre said:
    If you are on a budget, I would suggest this GPU. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW beats even a reference GTX 680 out the box and beats the 7970 in most games too. It uses the GTX 680 PCB and has 8 Phase VRAM for better OC than even reference GTX 680's.

    I have this card and can max out Battlefield 3 with solid 60+FPS with Vsync on 2 1080p.

    It's only $400, best bang for your buck in this price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-geforce-gtx-670-ftw/?page=5
    not for a three monitor set up that wouldn't be a good idea the 4GB model would though your card is kick ass to though ;)
  26. Ahh, didn't see that part, in that case, the 4Gb superclocked card would be your best bet. EVGA has hands down the best customer service too.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785&Tpk=GTX%20670


    At this price point, the HD 7970 is a good alternative as I personally think the GTX 680's are overpriced when a GTX 670 is up there in performance.


    Thanks, I can max out any game @ 1080p. I will be getting an EK waterblock to dip her underwater soon as this card is a beast at OC.
  27. im learning so much right now lol :D ok my budget is around 1900$ and half of that is going into the card but yeah is the the three monitor set up really worth it? if you can get the right card setup?
  28. El Tigre said:
    Ahh, didn't see that part, in that case, the 4Gb superclocked card would be your best bet. EVGA has hands down the best customer service too.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785&Tpk=GTX%20670


    At this price point, the HD 7970 is a good alternative as I personally think the GTX 680's are overpriced when a GTX 670 is up there in performance.


    Thanks, I can max out any game @ 1080p. I will be getting an EK waterblock to dip her underwater soon as this card is a beast at OC.
    I agree the 680 is a rip off if i understand right it's only 7% faster than 670 but costs $100 more :heink: and man water cooled that would be sweet. :D
  29. jbarrows said:
    im learning so much right now lol :D ok my budget is around 1900$ and half of that is going into the card but yeah is the the three monitor set up really worth it? if you can get the right card setup?



    essentially any dual card setup made up of gpus past 400 are built for 3 monitors, if you wanted the two strongest single gpu cards at stock, it would be a 7970 ghz or a 680 4gb in crossfire/sli. though the 670 and 7970 are also great contenders. (though at this resolution, id give sleight of hand to 7970 as it handles this kind of resolution more fluently then the 670) but regardless the 670 is good as well, and the ftw price atm is at a low.
  30. jbarrows said:
    im learning so much right now lol :D ok my budget is around 1900$ and half of that is going into the card but yeah is the the three monitor set up really worth it? if you can get the right card setup?
    I prefer dual monitor set up but i suppose it's a matter of preference if 3 monitors is worth it or not :??:
  31. @ jbarrows: I think it's worth it if you are going to be gaming on 3D. But you will need 2 cards in SLI at least to achieve playable frame rates on any game at ultra settings. I personally am comfortable gaming at 1080p on a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV. That's why I went for the 2GB card.


    @bigcyco1: I feel the same, my GTX 670 beats the GTX 680 in most games for $100 cheaper. I can't wait to dip her underwater, I'm going to have fun OC this beast, lol
  32. El Tigre said:
    If you are on a budget, I would suggest this GPU. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW beats even a reference GTX 680 out the box and beats the 7970 in most games too. It uses the GTX 680 PCB and has 8 Phase VRAM for better OC than even reference GTX 680's.

    I have this card and can max out Battlefield 3 with solid 60+FPS with Vsync on 2 1080p.

    It's only $400, best bang for your buck in this price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-geforce-gtx-670-ftw/?page=5


    2nd that on the GTX670 FTW (for single screen), 690 for triple screen.

    As for the rest,
    CPU = 3570k with a proper aftermarket cooler will allow you to OC it way over 4GHz.
    MB = ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASROCK Extreme6
    PSU = Corsair 650 or 750w (for 2x GTX670s)
    SSD = Intel 520 series (1x 240 or 2x 120 RAID0 which will give you 240GB but double performance)
    Screen = preferably a newer model so you can get the same screens 3-9 months from now, 120Hz for 3D gaming and thin bezels (some thing like the Samsung S23A750D) Support to wall mount would be great so you can mount it on a triple-monitor stand, something like this http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Accessories/Multi-Display-Systems/Monitor-Stands/Triple-Monitor-Stands.aspx
  33. ok awsome, i really appreciate the help that you guys are giving me. thanks a lot! how is the dual monitor set-up btw? and would dual evga 670s be a good choice for that kind of setup?
  34. Well this is just a example of what i would get case is personal so i left that out also you could get a good 650W if you never plan to SLI in future PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: TUNIQ Tower 120 Extreme 90.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($477.55 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1659.43
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 03:00 EDT-0400)
  35. jbarrows said:
    ok awsome, i really appreciate the help that you guys are giving me. thanks a lot! how is the dual monitor set-up btw? and would dual evga 670s be a good choice for that kind of setup?

    With two monitors at that resolution, 2x 4GB cards would be fine, I would suggest getting 2 EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB cards as it will perform, if not beat the GTX 690 for about $100 cheaper (the GTX 690 is overpriced currently, some merchants are even charging up to $1200 per card!)


    @ bigcyo1: Your setup looks good, I would suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as it's about $40 and should perform around the same as the Tuniq Tower.


    @ jbarrows: If you decide to game on a single monitor, then the EVGA GTX 670 FTW would be the better card to use and it's cheaper than the 4GB Superclocked card ad actually performs better too with a single display in most games.
  36. These are cases i would recommend MID TOWERS Case:COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257#top


    Case:Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021#top

    Case:Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009#top


    Case:Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139005#top

    Case:Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129178#top

    Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197#top

    Case:NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B2 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower White Trim Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146091#top
  37. FULL TOWER RECOMMENDATIONS

    Case:Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans - 1 x Front Red LED 230mm Fan, 1 x Top 230mm Fan, 1 x Side 230mm Fan, 1 x Rear 140mm Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053#top

    Case:Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100#top

    Case:Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133191#top

    Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160#top

    Case:COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245#top

    Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Black CA-SW810-B1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBRID Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146089#top

    Case:NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068#top

    Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225#top

    Case:Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087#top
  38. I have this case and it's a good case, it's underrated but performs well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553002
  39. El Tigre said:
    I have this case and it's a good case, it's underrated but performs well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553002
    looks pretty decent :)
  40. bigcyco1 said:
    looks pretty decent :)



    you kinda have to give it some props to have a full tower case at that price though.
  41. I like to USB 3.0 ports on the top, the fan controller on the top for 2 clusters of fans and like the slot at the top for a SATA HDD/SSD (useful when quickly transferring stuff between other HDD/SSD's from other machines, no need to open the side panel and such.) It also has the holes in the rear for a WC loop setup. It does not look or feel cheap either.


    This is what the inside looks.

  42. if want to sli or crossfire u might as well spree for a stronger cpu (X79). dont want to bottleneck the dual gpu configs to much...
  43. @El Tigre wow it looks nice especially with a EVGA GTX 670 FTW in it lmao
  44. aznplayer213 said:
    if want to sli or crossfire u might as well spree for a stronger cpu (X79). dont want to bottleneck the dual gpu configs to much...

    No need too, the i5 CPU listed a few post above mine is enough and an OC will take care of any bottlenecks, heck, my nearly 4 yr old mobo/CPU did not bottleneck my old GTX 560 Ti SLI setup. ;)


    @ bigcyco1: Thanks, it looks a tab bit messy because in that pic, I had taken out my old Raptor (2x Raid 0) for my new Crucial M4 256Gb SSD) and that extra SATA cable was dangling, lol
  45. the only gripe is that fan cable just hovering over the gpu, only if there was a pci-e fan controller just to make the case look clean, albeit it would be an aesthetic change and not a necessary one.
  46. dudewitbow said:
    the only gripe is that fan cable just hovering over the gpu, only if there was a pci-e fan controller just to make the case look clean, albeit it would be an aesthetic change and not a necessary one.

    I already took care of that, I tucked it behind the mobo tray, this pic was when I first threw in the GTX 670, added 2 more fans (120mm), hence the missing rear slot covers too. I was testing the card before I really organized my wires and such. ;)

    The case already comes with it's own fan controller. ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Graphics Product