Printing on A4 from a Canon 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 21, 2005 10:52:04 PM

Hello all

I have a Canon 350D which takes its images in 3:2 format.

I am trying to print some of these images on my HP Photosmart 7960 on A4
paper (210 mm x 297 mm) but it is clipping the image.

The only thing I can think of is that the aspect ratio for A4 paper is not
the same as the image from my 350D, i.e. 3:2.

The image size from the 350D is 3456 x 2304.

Can someone please tell me what ratio A4 paper is, or better still explain
to me how to work out the ratios for myself, as well as telling me the ratio
for A4 :) .

Thanks in advance

Kevin

More about : printing canon 350d

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:52:05 PM

"Kevin Cowans" <kevin@kncowans.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Can someone please tell me what ratio A4 paper is, or better still explain
> to me how to work out the ratios for myself, as well as telling me the ratio
> for A4 :) .

A4 paper is 1:sqrt(2), i.e. approximately 2:2.8.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Anonymous

Kevin Cowans wrote:
> Hello all
> I have a Canon 350D which takes its images in 3:2 format.
> I am trying to print some of these images on my HP Photosmart 7960 on A4
> paper (210 mm x 297 mm) but it is clipping the image.
> The only thing I can think of is that the aspect ratio for A4 paper is not
> the same as the image from my 350D, i.e. 3:2.
> The image size from the 350D is 3456 x 2304.

Hi Kevin,
you camera produces images with an aspect ratio of 3:2, which means that
one side of the image is exactly 1.5 times longer than the other. (In
fact, 3/2 = 1.5 and 3456/2304 = 1.5, and even the old 35mm film has the
proportion 36/24 = 1.5).

You are right, A4 paper hasn't a ratio 3:2, so your image out of the
camera won't match exactly the A4 sheet proportions.

> Can someone please tell me what ratio A4 paper is, or better still explain
> to me how to work out the ratios for myself, as well as telling me the ratio
> for A4 :) .

As you said, A4 is 210 mm x 297 mm, so you can divide, 297/210 = (about)
1.41 (more exactly it is the square root of 2).

So A4 has an aspect ratio of (roughly) 1.41:1 or (multiplying by 2)
2.82:2 which is obviously not 3:2.

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: That's why printing on 12x8 inches lets you have the full frame
(12/8 still equals 1.5) while a common 10x8 (10/8 = 1.25) cuts the frame
partially. And also, photo from a 6x4 inches, looks different (cut) in a
10x8 enlargement.
--
http://www.E-Photographers.com
The Photographers Directory: Submit your site!

Hello Antonio

Thanks for the reply.

I did not realise it was so easy to figure out the ratio, thanks for that.

It looks as though I am going to have to use different sized paper if I wish
to print the full frame.

Two more question if you do not mind.

I tried printing to 6x4 paper and the image still gets clipped on the end
(last edge out of the printer), any ideas why this would be happening when
the ratio of 6x4 is 1.5?

Also, how would I go about cropping my images (PS CS2) to fit the 3:2 ratio?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

"Antonio Cangiano" <antonio@visualcsharp.it> wrote in message
> Kevin Cowans wrote:
>> Hello all
>> I have a Canon 350D which takes its images in 3:2 format.
>> I am trying to print some of these images on my HP Photosmart 7960 on A4
>> paper (210 mm x 297 mm) but it is clipping the image.
>> The only thing I can think of is that the aspect ratio for A4 paper is
>> not the same as the image from my 350D, i.e. 3:2.
>> The image size from the 350D is 3456 x 2304.
>
> Hi Kevin,
> you camera produces images with an aspect ratio of 3:2, which means that
> one side of the image is exactly 1.5 times longer than the other. (In
> fact, 3/2 = 1.5 and 3456/2304 = 1.5, and even the old 35mm film has the
> proportion 36/24 = 1.5).
>
> You are right, A4 paper hasn't a ratio 3:2, so your image out of the
> camera won't match exactly the A4 sheet proportions.
>
>> Can someone please tell me what ratio A4 paper is, or better still
>> explain to me how to work out the ratios for myself, as well as telling
>> me the ratio for A4 :) .
>
> As you said, A4 is 210 mm x 297 mm, so you can divide, 297/210 = (about)
> 1.41 (more exactly it is the square root of 2).
>
> So A4 has an aspect ratio of (roughly) 1.41:1 or (multiplying by 2) 2.82:2
> which is obviously not 3:2.
>
> Cheers,
> Antonio
>
> PS: That's why printing on 12x8 inches lets you have the full frame (12/8
> still equals 1.5) while a common 10x8 (10/8 = 1.25) cuts the frame
> partially. And also, photo from a 6x4 inches, looks different (cut) in a
> 10x8 enlargement.
> --
> http://www.E-Photographers.com
> The Photographers Directory: Submit your site!
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 9:21:03 PM

Kevin Cowans wrote:

> Hello Antonio
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I did not realise it was so easy to figure out the ratio, thanks for that.
>
> It looks as though I am going to have to use different sized paper if I wish
> to print the full frame.
>
> Two more question if you do not mind.
>
> I tried printing to 6x4 paper and the image still gets clipped on the end
> (last edge out of the printer), any ideas why this would be happening when
> the ratio of 6x4 is 1.5?
>
> Also, how would I go about cropping my images (PS CS2) to fit the 3:2 ratio?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kevin

<snip>

The difference in aspect ratio between A4 - or any A-size paper - and
3:2 is not all that much in practice. I print to A4 a lot from my 300D,
and the difference isn't worth worrying about. If you set the long side
of your 3:2 image to 300mm - that's a 3mm overhang on an A4 sheet - then
your short side will be 200mm. A4 paper is 210mm wide, so you are
losing 1 centimetre width off your paper. If you set the short side to
210mm to fit A4, the length of the image will be 210 x 3/2, or 315mm, an
overhang of 18mm.

I doubt you could compose your image tightly enough in camera to be
unable to afford that amount of cropping. Also, with landscapes and
objects that aren't an obvious shape, you can stretch or compress the
image slightly in Photoshop to make it fit A4 exactly and no-one will
ever pick it.

Colin D.
!