Solved

I5 or i7

can someone tell me the different between the i5 and the i7? i'm leaning towards the i7, also a nice board between $100.00-$130.00 range.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Video editing simulations etc. then i7
    Gaming; save the money and get an i5, hey get a nice gpu while you are at it.
  2. i7 runs 8 threads using "hyperthreading" to really milk its 4 cores.

i5 is pretty much an i7 that has no hyperthreading and thus only runs 4 threads.

Hyperthreading helps with things like video editing, but doesn't do much for gaming.
  3. will i notice the different between them for "gaming"
  4. gomer68 said:
    will i notice the different between them for "gaming"

No. For gaming alone stick to the i5.
  5. Core i5 for gaming. Hyper threading offers like, 0.7% increase in gaming performance compared to an i5, it's not worth a quarter of that extra frame.
  6. Best answer
    Yep, no need for an i7 for gaming. Tons of software can take advantage of those phantom cores though (hyperthreading). For a motherboard, ASRock Extreme 4. Its a reliable, fast and affordable board.
  7. payturr said:
    Core i5 for gaming. Hyper threading offers like, 0.7% increase in gaming performance compared to an i5, it's not worth a quarter of that extra frame.

In a lot of cases it actually makes the game run SLOWER.
  8. DarkSable said:
    In a lot of cases it actually makes the game run SLOWER.

are you talking about the i7 running the game slower?
  9. gomer68 said:
    are you talking about the i7 running the game slower?

Yes he is.
  10. gomer68 said:
    will i notice the different between them for "gaming"

Not at all. The i7 is at most going to be 1-2% faster, and in some cases slower. Save the $100, go for the i5, and put the savings toward a GPU where there really is going to be a difference.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/38421-intel-core-i5-3570k-22nm-ivy-bridge/?page=7
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5