Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HELP HP Pavilion Upgrade Problems!

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 9:37:45 PM

First off I guess I'll mention that my computer is an HP Pavilion a6342p, here's a link to the specs:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Okay so I'll try to make a long-ish story short:
I wanted to upgrade my graphics card for better light gaming on my computer (later found out my computer doesn't even have a graphics card), so after researching (or attempting to research) I purchased a Radeon 6670 and an RX-530SS power supply to go with it.
After installing my 2 new parts, my computer wouldn't turn on, the power light would only turn on for a fraction of a second, and then go off.
After trying and trying with no success, I took out the graphics card, and put back the original 250W power supply, and when I tried to start up my computer, I got the same result: the power button would light up for a fraction of a second and then go off.
After trying to find an answer for a couple days now, I've been told it could be alot of things, but what I've seen/been told the most is that I could've possibly shorted out my motherboard.
Hopefully one of you experts on here can identify the problem for me, until then, I will be stuck using an even older computer than the one I "broke."
Help, I am noob.

edit: I apologize for posting the same thread twice, the firs time I posted from the small box on the right side of the screen, and for some reason I thought that one didn't post to the real forums, and the bigger box would post to the forums. Sorry again :/ 

Best solution

a c 739 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 2:41:31 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Computer Brands to section Systems by Area51reopened
a c 203 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 3:05:12 PM

make sure you plugged in both power plugs (24 pin and the 4/8 pin atx power plug that near the cpu).
also check on your hard drive and any floppys that you did not miss any of the power pins. it easy to miss one and cause a short where your pc wont boot.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:04:52 AM

Best answer selected by robyates77.
m
l
!