a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 11:53:03 PM

Any decent make 850 would do ...

All the best Brett :) 
January 25, 2013 12:39:58 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Any decent make 850 would do ...

All the best Brett :) 

So, for example, a SeaSonic or Corsair PSU would be great?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 12:57:41 AM

Yes those are great choices. BTW the Corsair PSU are made by Seasonic for the most part.

Just get a Seasonic
January 25, 2013 1:00:16 AM

yesthis said:
So, for example, a SeaSonic or Corsair PSU would be great?

Yea, any Seasonic, XFX, most Corsairs, some Antecs, P&C, and some others. I just bought a 750w XFX and it runs great. I sort-of wished I would've spent the extra $15 to get the 850w, but 750w is more than I'll need anyway. Do you want a link to a specific one?
January 25, 2013 1:01:27 AM

850w is overkill. 700-750w would do fine.
January 25, 2013 1:05:49 AM

Here are some examples of great PSU's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

A couple are modular, the others aren't. The important thing is all of them are at least 80+ Bronze and all operate off of a single rail so the power is distributed evenly. That XFX is the one that I didn't spend the extra money on, but I did buy the 750w version of it.
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 1:07:38 AM

My HX 750 ran real hot, swapped it out for a 1000w now its ice cold at load. Anyway grab a Corsair HX 850 and call it a day!

Best solution

a c 1100 ) Power supply
a c 206 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 1:16:03 AM

For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve. You particular CPU overclock shouldn't require an increase to the recommended combined +12 Volt continuous current rating.

The Corsair 850W TX850 or HX850 or AX850, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four or six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, depending on model, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

The Seasonic 850W PSU models also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and four or six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, depending on model.
January 25, 2013 1:27:51 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve. You particular CPU overclock shouldn't require an increase to the recommended combined +12 Volt continuous current rating.

The Corsair 850W TX850 or HX850 or AX850, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four or six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, depending on model, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

The Seasonic 850W PSU models also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and four or six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, depending on model.

Sorry for the late replies, but thanks for everyone's information. Since I'll be OCing my CPU from 3.3ghz (turbo 3.8ghz) to 4.3-4.5ghz, will that affect how much power it requires in a dramatic way?
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 1:34:18 AM

yesthis said:
Sorry for the late replies, but thanks for everyone's information. Since I'll be OCing my CPU from 3.3ghz (turbo 3.8ghz) to 4.3-4.5ghz, will that affect how much power it requires in a dramatic way?

Not the exact same processor but you will get the idea. The answer is depends on what you consider dramatic. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficie...
a c 1100 ) Power supply
a c 206 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 1:57:19 AM

yesthis said:

You'll still be within the power allowance that NVIDIA uses for determining the system power requirement, that's why I said you won't require an increase to the recommended combined +12 Volt continuous current rating that I specified.
January 25, 2013 2:02:15 AM

Even though Corsair has their PSU's made by Seasonic, imo they have a top notch RMA service, and their AX850 comes with fully black cables.
January 25, 2013 2:49:54 AM

ko888 said:
You'll still be within the power allowance that NVIDIA uses for determining the system power requirement, that's why I said you won't require an increase to the recommended combined +12 Volt continuous current rating that I specified.

The SeaSonic I'm looking at right now has +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 amps (It might be the one you listed at the end), and you said it has to be a minimum of 53 amps, so I should be good, right? Also, you said that my OC isn't big enough for current rating to actually need an increase, so, even with that OC, I still need only 53 amps? Out of curiousity, how big would an OC need to be for the current rating to require an increase?
a c 1100 ) Power supply
a c 206 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:16:22 AM

yesthis said:
The SeaSonic I'm looking at right now has +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 amps (It might be the one you listed at the end), and you said it has to be a minimum of 53 amps, so I should be good, right? Also, you said that my OC isn't big enough for current rating to actually need an increase, so, even with that OC, I still need only 53 amps? Out of curiousity, how big would an OC need to be for the current rating to require an increase?

53 Amps minimum is right.

4.6 GHz and above is where the power consumption begins to increase almost exponentially.

I also use an Intel Core i5-2500K in my current system and have confirmed this. You have to start adding voltage to the Vcore to obtain stability which greatly increases power consumption and heat. I've also read reviews of the actual measured power consumption at the CPU socket for the Intel Core i5-2500K during overclocking that also backs up what I've experienced.
January 25, 2013 4:24:45 AM

ko888 said:
53 Amps minimum is right.

4.6 GHz and above is where the power consumption begins to increase almost exponentially.

I also use an Intel Core i5-2500K in my current system and have confirmed this. You have to start adding voltage to the Vcore to obtain stability which greatly increases power consumption and heat. I've also read reviews of the actual measured power consumption at the CPU socket for the Intel Core i5-2500K during overclocking that also backs up what I've experienced.

Concerning overclocking, do you think I'll be able to get it where I want it, which is 4.3-4.5ghz, with my current motherboard?
a c 1100 ) Power supply
a c 206 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 4:39:30 AM

yesthis said:
Concerning overclocking, do you think I'll be able to get it where I want it, which is 4.3-4.5ghz, with my current motherboard?

An overclock of 4.5 GHz was easily achievable and that is the speed that I am currently running at. I don't use the stock Intel supplied CPU cooler though.

I am running my processor on an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO that I bought a couple years ago.
January 26, 2013 12:42:20 AM

ko888 said:
An overclock of 4.5 GHz was easily achievable and that is the speed that I am currently running at. I don't use the stock Intel supplied CPU cooler though.

I am running my processor on an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO that I bought a couple years ago.

No problem, I have a Hyper 212 EVO. My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V.
January 28, 2013 2:03:19 AM

Best answer selected by yesthis.
!