allright... whats after 24X???

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
as i see it we are reaching a very definate plateau here.
24X drives cant burn the start of a CD at 24 cauz of the very high rotational speeds required.

yet we went from 12x to 16, 20 then 24 in a VERY short period of time. my ricoh 12x10x32x was pretty much top of the line barely 6 months ago. 16x was just appearing.

so whats next???
do we really need burnt cd's faster than 3 minutes?
faster burning and higher capacity DVD's instead?
multiple lasers to burn faster?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Yamaha 16x couldn't burn the whole CD at 16x, remember? I don't see any signs of plateu, although I forsee them going to multiple lasers soon, instead of higher rotational speeds.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Blue-light, Ultra-violet light, then Molecular Storage, baby!

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
There was an article a while back about 3D storage. They used a glass-like cube (don't know what it was made of, exactly), and used a laser to put 3D images indside of it. It could store an insane amount of data, for the small sum of $100k each cube. They were about 3"x4"x2" or so. IBM and Lucent were among those developing it.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I read about that in PC World a couple of years ago. It's a type of crystal that can hold 90GB. They also said that there are rumours that it uses alien technology! :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmms

anybody see the 'possibly new' technology called fluorescent cd's... (or something like that)

basically the next stage beyond multilayer DVD's.
if i remeber correctly they may be able to get up to 150-200Gb per standard CD. yum.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
its there. it was in the review for the 24x plextor.

basically for a single beam burner like the 24x, the CD cannot spin fast enough to burn at the start of the cd at 24.. or even 20.
the faster the cd spins the more problems they have with vibrational error too.
so the plextor 24x starts burning at 16x, then up to 20x for a while, the 24x for the remainder of the disk, so the average rate achieved is only 20-22x average.
i assume that they COULD make a single beam burner faster than 24x, but it would only do such high speeds near the end of the media.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i bet you that they wont be burning at 32x at the start of the CD!

i imagine it would be also hard to find 32x certified media too!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe we go...

<A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=286" target="_new">http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=286</A>

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 09/25/01 03:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>