Sign in with
Your question

Future of optimization for amd fx line is looking up

Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2013 12:23:29 AM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/playstation-4-de...

It has been confirmed that the PS4 will essentially have a modified fx 8350 in it, along with a custom amd gpu. Multithreaded gaming here we come :bounce: 
January 25, 2013 12:55:20 AM

well, that's at least two testimonies that match up with eachother, from two different dates. So, the information has been consistent. Which is a VERY promising sign. What isn't promising is when "rumors" change from month to month.
m
l
Related resources
a c 480 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 À AMD
January 25, 2013 1:15:10 AM

Well.. if true, then I hope it's been tweaked to consume less power and produce less heat...

Good thing I'm not interested in playing any console games...
m
l
January 25, 2013 1:24:19 AM

jaguarskx said:
Well.. if true, then I hope it's been tweaked to consume less power and produce less heat...

Well, console chips are designed to run super hot, like laptops are. Not to mention the chip isn't that hot anyway. Power consumption would most likely be cut as well. It's certainly not THE fx 8350, but its a consolized version. So, I would imagine that they will cut the clock speeds down a little and tweak some other inconsistencies. Maybe it will be a glimpse at Steamroller sitting in that console ;P
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 25, 2013 4:24:26 AM

jaguarskx said:

Exactly what I was thinking.
m
l
February 22, 2013 7:51:54 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Thats a RUMOR ...

All the best Brett :) 

I was right!!!! ps4 revealed with having an 8 core from amd with gddr5 amd gpu.. similar to current apu tech
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 9:13:43 PM

I had heard it would be running at 2.2ghz, so yes a very scaled down clock speed. Secondly, Consoles are typically GPU intensive devices not CPU intensive, so I will bet that the extra cores has more to do with it's media center capability rather than gaming, but that's just a guess.
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:49:58 PM

adamv1 said:
I had heard it would be running at 2.2ghz, so yes a very scaled down clock speed. Secondly, Consoles are typically GPU intensive devices not CPU intensive, so I will bet that the extra cores has more to do with it's media center capability rather than gaming, but that's just a guess.

Have you looked at the new killzone? The draw distance in that beginning section of the demo. That's mostly cpu bound when that many things you need to render. They 8 cores will go to use, not right away, but give it about a year- a year and a half after release. 8 cores isn't necessary for preliminary multitasking. that can be accomplished with a single core. They slapped an 8 core in that bad boy for some horsepower.
m
l
!