Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is a 750w PSU overkill for this build?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 25, 2013 12:36:49 AM

Intel BOXDH77EB Intel Motherboard: http://goo.gl/CYq7D

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB: http://goo.gl/IVX1E

Sony DVD Burner: http://goo.gl/2vy1a

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 : http://goo.gl/RALrx

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W: http://goo.gl/ihyp

EVGA GeForce GTX 660: http://goo.gl/aiyE0

Western Digital WD Black: http://goo.gl/APfBs
a c 92 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 12:40:09 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Just about right! You have some headroom for overclocking if desired.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:43:06 AM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Just about right! You have some headroom for overclocking if desired.

Thank you, how much room do you think I will have left?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1195 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
January 25, 2013 12:45:25 AM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The Corsair Professional Series HX750W ( SKU# 75-001218 / CP-9020031 ), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card. It is also way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

A good 450W PSU would be sufficient since you can't use two graphics cards in 2-way SLI on that motherboard anyway.
Share
January 25, 2013 12:45:31 AM

Disagree with other poster. It's total overkill, unless you plan on using two GPUs.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:49:45 AM

sek729 said:
Disagree with other poster. It's total overkill, unless you plan on using two GPUs.

My friend gave me the power supply for free.
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 12:51:09 AM

DyingLight said:
Thank you, how much room do you think I will have left?

Enough to overclock and also add a GPU. One thing to consider is that capacitors age over time and lose efficiency. And smaller PSUs tend to operate at a higher temp and this will also affect the efficiency.

On my most recent (3 weeks old) build around the i7 3770K I am using a Corsair AX850 PSU (I know that this is a little overkill, but the price was right). Factor in the price, not just the wattage of the PSU.
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 12:51:54 AM

DyingLight said:
My friend gave me the power supply for free.

The price is perfect!
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:53:17 AM

Ubrales said:
Enough to overclock and also add a GPU. One thing to consider is that capacitors age over time and lose efficiency. And smaller PSUs tend to operate at a higher temp and this will also affect the efficiency.

On my most recent (3 weeks old) build around the i7 3770K I am using a Corsair AX850 PSU (I know that this is a little overkill, but the price was right). Factor in the price, not just the wattage of the PSU.

Do you think this build is good to go?
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:53:24 AM

DyingLight said:
My friend gave me the power supply for free.


Then there's no such thing as overkill if it's free :) . But yeah, If you ever decide to crossfire your 660, you already got the PSU for it.
m
0
l
a c 1195 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
January 25, 2013 12:56:21 AM

sek729 said:
Then there's no such thing as overkill if it's free :) . But yeah, If you ever decide to crossfire your 660, you already got the PSU for it.

The OP's motherboard only has one PCI Express x16 slot so there's not going to be any SLI or CrossFire going on.
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 12:57:24 AM

DyingLight said:
My friend gave me the power supply for free.

Everyone should have friends like that

Heck of a deal with that board, free Etch-a-Sketch woohoo
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 12:57:26 AM

DyingLight said:
Do you think this build is good to go?

Yes, it looks good! The one thing that I would investigate further is the RAM. These days RAM is cheap enough to consider 16 GBs especially for a new build (then you will not need to upgrade down the road 6 months later).
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:58:19 AM

sek729 said:
Then there's no such thing as overkill if it's free :) . But yeah, If you ever decide to crossfire your 660, you already got the PSU for it.

The only thing I am concerned about is whether or not the components will overheat. I currently have the HAF 912 case downstairs and I was told from a good friend that I should get two Cooler Master Megaflows that are 200mm for the front and the top. The front for intake and the top for exhaust.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 12:59:40 AM

Best answer selected by DyingLight.
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 1:02:15 AM

If you do decide to go for 4 RAM modules, check the clearance between the first module and the heatsink fan. On my build, I took a disc grinder and ground off about 2 mm from the lower portion of the fan. Now the clearance is fine.
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 2:20:29 AM

Ubrales said:
If you do decide to go for 4 RAM modules, check the clearance between the first module and the heatsink fan. On my build, I took a disc grinder and ground off about 2 mm from the lower portion of the fan. Now the clearance is fine.

Okay thank you. As I said before, the only thing I am concerned about is whether or not the components will overheat. I currently have the HAF 912 case downstairs and I was told from a good friend that I should get two Cooler Master Megaflows that are 200mm for the front and the top. The front for intake and the top for exhaust.
m
0
l
!