I already have this build, what would you do to Improve?

spat55

Distinguished
I have say £100, however I am not doing this right away, trying to save now as i brought this 3 months ago, so things might also be cheaper in the future so keep this in mind...

CPU: i5 3570k (no overclock as have stock cooler and isn't bottlenecking anything)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7850 (no overclock, not use to the idea, tried it at full clock speeds, without volt changes, no artifacting but a bsod?)
PSU: XFX Core Edition 550w (Great PSU but wish it was modular!)
RAM: 8GB 1600MHZ Corsair Vengence (No need to upgrade as don't use it all anyway)
MOBO GA-Z77-D3H (Can't change anyway as I have OEM OS)
CASE Coolmaster Elite 430 (Cheap and effective, but has bad cable management, but nice cool temps as have 3 case fans)
HDD 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar 7200rpm 64mb Cache (Here I think I could improve, with a nice SSD for my OS)
DVD DRIVE Cheap and cheerful sony. (No need to upgrade this as I have my PS3 for Blu-Ray)

On a overview I think the best I could do is upgrade to a SSD, and or a new cooler for the CPU as I will eventually OC it in 2 or so years. I could also get the use out of a much better cooler. The other thing I defo could, do and it will not cost anything is a GPU OC. Then I could get more performance to the 7870 spec maybe.

I don't understand getting the Overclock, can someone give me a tester that highlights the artifacts? I am using the MSI Afterburner with the Kombustor.

EDIT: Also would a Crossfire be any good? Because in a year the 7850 might be even cheaper then I could put the two together, does many games support it?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I'd say you're on the right track. SSD prices are plummeting these days, and I'd expect to see a 256GB of a nice model - Samsung, Intel, or Crucial M4 in particular - on sale for less than $130 or so around Black Friday. You can already see them occasionally for less than $150 AR.

So, I'd get an SSD no smaller than 120 GB and move your OS, internet, and commonly used apps there.

After that, a CPU cooler is a good investment if you plan to O/C. Most likely though in two years a better upgrade will be a new video card. But, for the sake of argument I'd say a high-quality air cooler (I like the Hyper 212 Evo) will be good enough without the risks and price that come with water coolers.

spat55

Distinguished

Yes, what i was thinking, in england though we dont get black friday really, waiting till christmas, thats the best sales here :lol: also SSD prices will have dropped by then. the hyper evo is cheap and cools really well...

spat55

Distinguished

Can't remember now, I got upto around 900mhz on core clock, then thought f'it so went to 1050mhz core and 1450 memory clock, but I didn't see any artifacts and left it for 5 minutes till I got a BSOD. I now have it back to stock as I want to make sure I don't damage it, for now I do just want the highest OC without voltages up'ed, don't mind doing that in 1 or 2 years though.

spat55

Distinguished

Thing is I would struggle to see them, expecially if they are super small. I don't want to be artifacting at all as I know that I will be killing it.

spat55

Distinguished

I have it on a 1080p TV, so it isn't desperate, but I did get it so I could OC it. I want to run everything on ultra really, so it would be nice, but I am not going to overvolt this early on.

I might be doing eyefinity in around 6 months, then I might need to crossfire.