Intel vs Amd, which is better deal?

phiasquiz

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I'm planning to build a new vaule system.After i did some reseach on my local Fry's electronic stores , found these two deals: Amd Duron(1.3ghz)cpu/mobo deal@$59.99 and Intel Celeron (1.8Ghz)cpu/mobo deal @$69.99. Which one do u think was a better deal guys? Performances vs values...?

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I think that it would depend on what motherboard came with them. For that price, both motherboards are probably pretty bad. But there would probably be a higher chance that you would get an unstable board for the duron.

If you can give us the details on the motherboards, we could tell you. performance isn't solely determined by the CPU, and the motherboard also determines what RAM you can use, which affects the cost.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think that it would depend on what motherboard came with them. For that price, both motherboards are probably pretty bad.
I've got to agree completely.

But there would probably be a higher chance that you would get an unstable board for the duron.
Again, I agree.

If you can give us the details on the motherboards, we could tell you. performance isn't solely determined by the CPU, and the motherboard also determines what RAM you can use, which affects the cost.
Agreed. And either way, the Duron and the Celeron are both pretty much a waste of money.

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
They're both going to be garbage most likely. Find out which motherboard is bundled with each.

What do you want to use this computer for? If you pick one of the above it's going to be a very low end computer.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Given the choices you've presented... Go with the Celeron. Why? Because, all things being equal, the system will be more stable than the Duron and later on you can stuff in a P4 if Motherboard supports it.

But, like the others... I gotta tell you a $59 deal like that sounds very much like you are paying for a CPU and getting a free crap motherboard... Probably overstock that nobody wanted... so Caveat Emptor! (Buyer beware)

Celerons are good choices for homeowners who mostly want to do some net surfing, balance their checkbooks and such. They are also fine systems for word processing or basic accounting functions. But they aren't much of a gamer's chip... they have smaller caches and aren't really optomized for game performance. Of course they will run game proggies, but not as well as the P4 would.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Celeron system will likely be on the junk P4X266 chipset and a board made by PC-Chips under the Elite Groupe (ECS) brand name. I can't think of a much worse motherboard.

On the other hand, the Duron is probably on a similar board for AMD chipsets. I doubt there are any current VIA/AMD chipsets that are as bad as the VIA/P4 chipsets, so it might be a better deal.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Without reading replies, heres mine.

AMD is the best deal. I think both are pretty even, but AMD tends to have better prices.

Let me put it this way, (stats going by reviews on TomsHardware)

An Athlon 2400+ is above all P4's under 2.53 ghz. Its only the P4 2.53ghz and above that beats the Athlon 2400+. The Athlon 2400+ = $110, the P4 2.53ghz = $180 or so.

The top motherboard for Intel, the new 800fsb one, costs ALOT, maybe $300. A good chipset like E7205 costs $180. Many Intel boards only use expensive Rambus.

For Amd however, the top is Nforce2, and one of the top Nforce2 boards is the Msi board, for only $95.

AMD really does keep up with pentiums, until you get up to the 3.06ghz range. Price wise, I stick with AMD.... I like Pentiums, dont get me wrong, but AMD performs great and costs much cheaper....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't compare 2.53 to 2400+ prices, you have to compare them to 2500+ prices. But here's the real deal: For processors costing ~$200 on up, Intel offers the best value. For processors costing less than ~$200, AMD offers the best value.

You can get the MSI 655 Max-LS for $110 and it supports all 533 bus P4's.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Considering that P4 board is the worst you can buy, I'd recommend the Soyo AMD board
Yeah, but that's a Soyo board using an ALI MAGIK1 chipset, which in my opinion is one of the worst boards you can buy for an Athlon.

So basically they're both horrible pieces of crap. Go figure. The phrase "You get what you pay for." comes to mind...

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>