Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Xbox stats

Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2013 2:58:31 AM

Hello,
I am trying to figure out what processor is more powerful for gaming. The new Xbox is being quoted as an 8 core processor at 1.6GHz. At only 1.6GHz would a quad core say the Phenom II 980 BE at 3.8GHz be more powerful?

More about : xbox stats

a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 3:11:44 AM

You don't ever do measurements of CPU power like that. Also, SCREW THE XBOX. It doesn't matter about specs cause whatever games that goes on it is gonna look like garbage compared to a PC. Also, that Phenom can play games but you'll be bottlenecked & not have optimal performance. Build a PC with a Core i5 like a 3450, put in a good motherboard, hard drive, and at least a 660ti or a 7870 & you'll be VERY happy with the gaming results - and it'll utterly destroy whatever the new XBOX puts out cause remember, consoles are crap next to good PCs.
January 25, 2013 3:31:02 AM

I agree. The next-generation consoles will be 2 years or more behind current PC's the second they hit the shelves.
Related resources
January 25, 2013 4:01:02 AM

payturr said:
You don't ever do measurements of CPU power like that. Also, SCREW THE XBOX. It doesn't matter about specs cause whatever games that goes on it is gonna look like garbage compared to a PC. Also, that Phenom can play games but you'll be bottlenecked & not have optimal performance. Build a PC with a Core i5 like a 3450, put in a good motherboard, hard drive, and at least a 660ti or a 7870 & you'll be VERY happy with the gaming results - and it'll utterly destroy whatever the new XBOX puts out cause remember, consoles are crap next to good PCs.

I know the Intel i5 and i7 processors are better than AMD, however I built a gaming rig on a budget. I have the AM3 motherboard so I put the best processor available for it in a couple months ago. Plus a lot of people on this forum were saying that for a desktop computer with non integrated GPU the Phenom II 980 was better than the newer Bulldozer processors. My system specs are the AMD Phenom II 980 BE overclocked to 4.2 GHz, 8GB of RAM (I can always upgrade later), and I am currently running the EVGA GTX 650 Ti GPU. I guess my real question is am I going to be able to keep pace with games produced for the next gen Xbox? Is my current system better than the stats that are being listed right now, or is that console (as listed) more powerful than my current system? I know that almost all games are made for the console systems and then ported for PC so I'm figuring that if my system is equal to or greater than the stats of the next gen console I'll be able to game on it for awhile. Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
January 25, 2013 4:06:15 AM

cowboy44mag said:
Hello,
I am trying to figure out what processor is more powerful for gaming. The new Xbox is being quoted as an 8 core processor at 1.6GHz. At only 1.6GHz would a quad core say the Phenom II 980 BE at 3.8GHz be more powerful?

You can't really compare the two. Even an older CPU like the Phenom II is still way more powerful and faster than an 8 core 1.6 GHZ console processor. The point is that the "newest" CPU and graphics hardware is still pretty far behind modern desktop hardware.
February 1, 2013 2:32:28 AM

Best answer selected by cowboy44mag.
!