6770 temperature and horizontal tearing

Greenie13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
6770 Vapor-X temperature and horizontal tearing.
Computer set up :
CPU : i5 2500k
MB : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 gen3
RAM : 2 x 4gb Xtreme@1600mhz
PSU : Corsair TX 650
HDDs : 1 Samsung 830 SSD (for OS and Progs),1 WD 500gb
GFX : Sapphire Radeon 6770 Vapor-X
Latest Catalyst drivers 12.6

Problem (detail : had same pc set up with an older graphic card,without any issue,my 6770 was the last to be added on a fresh new OS installation) :
The first few days,noticed that after a few hours of gaming,i was noticing some distortions on my screen that i could describe as "horizontal tearing".
I'll let out my research for v-sync etc (1st thing to come in mind with tearing effects)and jump to my finds to today.
When the card temperature approaches or surpasses 60C,it starts this immage distortion i described.
Add to this,that GFX fan will NOT go up automatically as the temperature goes up,i end up having to force it manually through CCC Override to work to 100% to keep it around 58 degrees.

So,i end up with 2 questions :
1.Isn't 60 degrees a bit too low to start having this tearing?It's becoming unplayable.
2.Why there isn't an automatic way for the grafic card fan to work more as the temperature goes up?

A bit off topic:i'm at the verge of sending it back,since it's still in guarantee,just thought to use some help in case i miss something.

Thanks in advance

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Confirm that what you are seeing is tearing and not artifacts.

Also, are you currently overclocking your card through CCC>?

I would manually setmy fan at 70-80% anyway, in most cases I have my fan at 100% because I just dont care.

1. Yes, 60C is too low for a GPU to start 'artifacting'.
Are you sure it's screen tearing and not some blocks that randomly pop in and out in the screen?

Have you tried an older catalyst driver?

Greenie13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
About screenshot,it would be impossible because it's a moving thing,not stable.

English is not my native language,as far as i know,horizontal tearing or artifacting both could fit the description.

Regarding OC,i am not OCing it (default clock was 860mhz,i have even lowered it to 850 trying to see if it's getting any better).

Oldest CCC i have tried goes back to the version available on February 2012,when i bought it.

I will try and make a screenshot,and come back with it IF i see it makes some sense.

Thank you all :)