grantbrott

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I am a bit outdated on all the new hardware out there so thought I would seek some advice since this forum seems to keep popping up in doing my research. I play Battlefield 3, GW2 mainly and want to upgrade my PC. I was thinking of getting the intel i5 but was reading that other component upgrades might be better. Any input?

System:
windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
850W Cooler Master power supplly
1 TB HD
M4A79T Deluxe motherboard

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
That isn't terribly outdated, still a pretty solid system. Since you aren't in dire need of an immediate upgrade, I would wait until Intel's new Haswell processors come out this spring. They will be much faster and more power-efficient than anything on the market right now. Otherwise, if you absolutely must upgrade right now, the best-value gaming CPU is the i5-3570K. It has all the cores you need, and none of the expensive and unnecessary (for gaming) threads that you get with the i7-3770K. Plus, it overclocks like a beast, and stays very cool. I would pair that with a decent z77 motherboard, 8GB of RAM and a 660Ti. Once again, this is only if you must upgrade right now. Otherwise, definitely wait for Haswell.

+1

I would recommend the HD7870 over the HD6950, however. They're around the same price point (if you can find the HD6950 that is) and both perform roughly on-par. HD7870 seems to perform much better and has a much lower power consumption as well.

Yes, you can run a PCI-E 3.0 card on a PCI-E 2.0 slot. You won't run into any major bandwidth issues until you're running massive SLI/Crossfire configurations.

Also, I would highly recommend the Radeon HD7950 if you're considering the 660 Ti.

Can I just throw out there that that's backwards advice?

There's not going to be a HUGE difference between ivy bridge and Haswell, and that's waiting a fair while, whereas the 8k and 700 series of graphics cards are going to be rolling out within a few MONTHS, and will be up to 30% faster while being "priced competitively."