Possible to create a wireless N network from cable modem with a free ethernet po

aparman

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello,
I have a "cable modem/router" with a wireless b/g network built in, and a laptop and two computers with wireless n capable adapters. Could I get wireless n connectivity by hooking up a second router to a free ethernet port on the cable modem? I'm a noob at networking, so I'd like to know if this is possible, and if so is the ethernet speed sufficient to supply the wireless n pipe.

Yes

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect the router to be converted only to a computer via network cable and log in

setup the wireless security

disable the DHCP and change the LAN IP to match the gateway IP but ending in .253

finally connect one of the four LAN ports of the AP to the main router, do NOT use the WAN port.