sparkz89

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
hey guys was just curious
when i was setting up my 590s in quad sli, it keeps coming up as tri-sli in the nvidia control panel
my board is a x58 evga SLI3 (131-GT-E767-TR LGA)

my guess is that because im using the mini-display HDMI slot instead of the DVI slot that it is running it in 3-way sli instead of quad-sli ~ i do not have a DVI cable on me and was just wondering if this is a possibility, thanks

Wait a second, what does this have to do with the Physical PCIE slots? The SLI is enabled internally between the GPUs on the PCB, though it still uses 1 PCIE slot, Does the Mobo have to be 2 way SLI certified?

motherboard has to be quad SLi in this case..
it's all about PCI bandwidth (lanes).
Not exactly true, both Guru3d & Tom's test setups were 3-way SLI capable motherboards , Guru3d used EVGA x58 classified which is stated to be 3-way SLI only, and Toms used Asus Rampage III which is 3-way SLI too.

nVidia stated the requirement for a Quad SLI system based on Dual GPUs such as GTX 590s.
GeForce GTX 590 in a Quad SLI configuration requires a SLI-certified motherboard with an extra PCIE slot between the two, double-width cards to ensure both receive enough cool air. If you’re water cooling the cards, you can get by without this extra slot, but for air-based cooling it is a necessity.
Also, they listed some compatible boards, among of them many 2-way only MOBOs with extra PCIE x4 slot among the other 2 lanes.

So I guess this is not the OP's main problem.

I'm glad you've solved it, now explain to the OP how they haven't got a problem.

I'm telling you when we meet at Microcenter were going to tie shoelaces together...
so when I start beatin' yo arse.... you can't run like a girl screaming.....
:p

(FYI)
I said talk crap after I send you the router....
not before..;)

:lol:

LOL

I don't think I can hold back from talking crap for another month!

jk

You're going down son! And I'll wear flip-flips so if you give me "boo-boos" I can run away arms flailing and crying. :D

ilysaml - :lol: more to it than that....
nice try though and I'm more correct than you want to give credit for.
(that's OK though I'm use to it from you.. :pfff: )

I have a P87P67 WS Revolution with a nf200 chip allowing me to run my 2500K @ x16/x16...
and can go Quad SLi if I wanted and I know what I speak of..

cheers.
(PCI lanes..... as I stated once before..)
No offense at all, but you were wrong.
Once again;
SLI.jpg

sparkz89

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
ahha i forgot i had this forum up, for all you guys saying you need a QUAD sli board, YOUR FALSE, simply due to some gey reasons of NVIDIA, you cannot activate your QUAD sli if your using a mini-display converter to HDMI, you mUST, use a DVI cable, a simple fix, thanks for your imput guys, but yeah, DVI

sparkz89

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
well heres the thing, you can quad sli with the 590/295 GTX regardess of the board being just a TRI-SLI, you dont even need a slot in the middle, b/c to be honest, with my 500R case running BF3 highest my cards hit is 52*C; its all how you manage your wires and etc -> i having a 3000 RPM as my sole exhaust fan could be a main contributor but, as i said it varies from board to board, simply cause it does not state that it is not a QUAD does not mean that it will not run QUAD so dont go throwing money around, try the DVI-cord, plug it into the slut that is not being read by the Nvidia control panel, restart, etc, if it still does not work after that, then throw some money! but look for answers!!