Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How is this build? Is everything compatible? Which GPU?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 10, 2012 10:29:46 PM

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Steel Full Tower Computer Case Colorshift Fans VL200K1W2Z

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Now comes the hard part which GPU to get. I have it down to two choices;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P3-1469-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Also one last thing can anyone point me to a good Power Supply for this build? Thanks.

More about : build compatible gpu

September 10, 2012 10:37:29 PM

There's no point anymore in purchasing a 560TI or a Western Digital Velociraptor. What's the budget and primary use? I think I'd scrap that whole build if it's a gaming system.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:38:41 PM

g-unit1111 said:
There's no point anymore in purchasing a 560TI or a Western Digital Velociraptor. What's the budget and primary use? I think I'd scrap that whole build if it's a gaming system.


I would rather not spend anymore than 1,000 dollars on this build. It is in fact a gaming build. Okay then what kind of build would you suggest?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 10:40:38 PM

buddy321813 said:
I would rather not spend anymore than 1,000 dollars on this build. Okay then what kind of build would you suggest?


You can definitely do way better for $1K. 16GB of RAM is unnecessary and like I said there's no point in that GPU or HD choice. I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($307.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1014.77
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-10 18:41 EDT-0400)

A little bit over but you get a far better case, GPU, PSU, motherboard, and so on. You could also pay $10 more and get the Radeon 7950 GHz edition with a faster VRAM clock.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:42:25 PM

g-unit1111 said:
There's no point anymore in purchasing a 560TI or a Western Digital Velociraptor. What's the budget and primary use? I think I'd scrap that whole build if it's a gaming system.


I agree.^^

1) FX8150 is a terrible gaming cpu compared to an equally priced intel chip.

2) No game uses more than 2-3gb by itself. 8gb is sufficient.

3) Velociraptors were good in their day. Today, any decent build will include a SSD for the os and some games.

4) The newer 28nm graphics cards(GTX6... and amd 7...) run cooler, and need less power.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:47:43 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You can definitely do way better for $1K. 16GB of RAM is unnecessary and like I said there's no point in that GPU or HD choice. I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($307.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1014.77
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-10 18:41 EDT-0400)

A little bit over but you get a far better case, GPU, PSU, motherboard, and so on. You could also pay $10 more and get the Radeon 7950 GHz edition with a faster VRAM clock.


Wow thanks for this, BUT I do not support intel nor do I want too. So if you can suggest an AMD build instead I would appreciate it.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:48:17 PM

buddy321813 said:
Wow thanks for this, BUT I do not support intel nor do I want too. So if you can suggest an AMD build instead I would appreciate it.


Any reason why? Even the highest end AMD CPUs are pretty much destroyed by even the lower end Intel CPUs.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:54:50 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Any reason why? Even the highest end AMD CPUs are pretty much destroyed by even the lower end Intel CPUs.


I don't know I guess there isn't like a main reason. I prefer AMD because of the price and so far every computer I have had with AMD has been more than good enough when it comes to the motherboards and CPU. obviously I respect your opinion and I am sure you are right. I guess it is just personal preference and the fact I have had bad experiences with Intel
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:55:46 PM

Oh as for the hard drive I will NEVER buy a seagate again way too many issues with them. I have had a Western Digital for longer and had no problems, but seagate has been nothing, but problems and slow.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 10:59:43 PM

Get a 965BE with an aftermarket HSF and overclock it. The Bulldozer CPU's were actually worse for gaming then the Deneb core Processors. If you must have a Bulldozer core, get the fastest 4 core processor, and overclock it.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 11:01:58 PM

buddy321813 said:
Wow thanks for this, BUT I do not support intel nor do I want too. So if you can suggest an AMD build instead I would appreciate it.


I can understand if you are an AMD shareholder.
Read this article on the best gaming cpu's for the money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Remember that few games use more than 2-3 cores, making an 8 core cpu half useless.
And... the intel architecture delivers much more work per clock.

Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 5:49:23 AM

buddy321813 said:
I don't know I guess there isn't like a main reason. I prefer AMD because of the price and so far every computer I have had with AMD has been more than good enough when it comes to the motherboards and CPU. obviously I respect your opinion and I am sure you are right. I guess it is just personal preference and the fact I have had bad experiences with Intel


The GPU I recommended uses AMD processors. They are a more value oriented brand for video cards than NVIDIA has been. NVIDIA has been high performance and always has, and ever since the AMD - ATI merger, AMD has been producing some great video cards at bargain prices. It's the reason why they're so recommended. As far as the CPU goes you never want "good enough". If you can get the best why not? It'd be like running a Bugatti Veyron with a Dodge Neon engine. :lol: 
m
0
l
!