Sign in with
Your question

I'm building a budget gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2012 11:57:32 PM

I already know what parts I'll be getting, except for the power supply. I'm going to be gaming on my 130w TV and using my GTX 560. The case I am using also has LED lights so I guess that'd use up some power as well. I know that corsair is a good brand, but how many watts should I look for? 800 or so?

More about : building budget gaming

September 11, 2012 12:31:09 AM

Does your TV need to be plugged into your computer's power supply? I've never heard of that. If it doesn't (and I am 99.9999% sure it doesn't) then you don't need to worry about its power draw.

As for the wattage needed for a build with a GTX 560, even 500W will be fine. LED lights on your case won't make a difference. If you have the budget I would say get a Corsair AX750 because it is fully modular and will allow you to SLI easily down the road, but if you're tight on money just get a Corsair builder series CX500.

Good luck!
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:48:58 AM

nsouter853 said:
Does your TV need to be plugged into your computer's power supply? I've never heard of that. If it doesn't (and I am 99.9999% sure it doesn't) then you don't need to worry about its power draw.

As for the wattage needed for a build with a GTX 560, even 500W will be fine. LED lights on your case won't make a difference. If you have the budget I would say get a Corsair AX750 because it is fully modular and will allow you to SLI easily down the road, but if you're tight on money just get a Corsair builder series CX500.

Good luck!
Oh yeah I guess that's why an Xbox / PlayStation 3 doesn't explode :)  Thanks! However, nVidia or whoever recommends at least a 600w, and I don't want to push it so I'd go with a 650w then. Never hurts to be on the safe side, eh?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 12:49:30 AM

Well of course Nvidia suggests 600W or higher, they don't want customers getting mad if their cards don't work on an old PSU haha.

650W sounds fine then. Although really, I would spend the extra $10-20 and get 750W instead so you can SLI easier down the road.
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:57:01 AM

Don't worry about NVIDIAS specs.

And don't worry about watts as much as the amps on 12v rail of your PSU.

And get a quality brand, seasonic, ocz, antec, corsair as examples.

a good 600w with enough 12v rail power will be fine, heck even a good brand 550w will suffice.
m
l
!